District 7-5A II Thread

collincountyfootball1

District 7-5A D2 

Alright folks, from this week on everything means more. We’ve finally got to district play and I believe we are going to have a lot more drama from top to bottom in this district than we’ve had the past four years. It’s been Lovejoy’s district the last two years back to back 7-5A district champs 26-5 the last two season including the first three of this year. We welcome some new faces to the district as we got quite a new shape up. We lose Frisco, Frisco Liberty, Memorial and Lebanon Trail and gain Mesquite Poteet, Crandall, Greenville, Melissa, and Terrell. With Denison, Princeton and Lovejoy being the only familiar teams to this district. It’s a lot of parity between the teams vying for the last playoff spot IMO. The clear front runners right now are Lovejoy, Melissa and Crandall at the top 3. Battling for 4th place will come down between Denison, Poteet, Greenville, Princeton and Terrell. Lovejoy is probably the favorite to come out of this district on top but that last game of the year between Melissa and Lovejoy I think will be for the district crown. 

Week 1 Matchups: 

Princeton vs Mesquite Poteet 

Crandall vs Melissa 

Denison vs Greenville 

Lovejoy vs Terrell 

Playoff predictions:

1. Lovejoy 
  2. Crandall
  3. Melissa 
  4. Denison 
  5. Poteet
  6. Princeton 
  7. Greenville
  8. Terrell

Princeton vs Mesquite Poteet: Definitely going to be a homer pick but I’m taking Princeton over Poteet. I think Poteet is really struggling right now to find really any offense. I’m thinking the Panthers will be able to find some footing and maybe sneak up on a Poteet team that I bet isn’t giving Princeton much appreciation. This is a crucial matchup for both teams that I believe will be fighting for the final playoff spot in the district.

Crandall vs Melissa: Game of the Week in this district and if Melissa plays like they did last week I think they can win. However I think Crandall and it’s offense will be just a little too much for the Cards. I’m taking Crandall in a barn burner 45-42! 

Denison vs Greenville: Denison lost a lot of talent of last years team who lost even more talent from the year before. So I’m really interested to see how both of these teams fare in this matchup. It seems as Greenville will be in a bit of a reloading year so I’m going with Denison rather big 42-10. 

Lovejoy vs Terrell: This is going to be the most lopsided matchup of the week and I believe this game will be over midway through the 2nd. This game couldn’t come at better time for Lovejoy who is coming off of two back to back close losses. I see Lovejoy putting up a lot of points early and often this could get really ugly I’m going Lovejoy here in a huge blowout 63-7!

My predictions...

Mesq Poteet 28 Princeton 23.. closest game of the week. Loser likely has very little chance at playoff berth. Poteet wins a back and forth affair with late score

Melissa 46 Crandall 28.. Both Os can score but Melissa's D is better and if Crandall's QB really out will be very tough for Pirates to outscore Cards.

Denison 41 Greenville 14.. Denison better in trenches and wears down G-Ville

Lovejoy 50 Terrell 14.. Terrell may be better than most think. Tigers keep it close...for a half 

1 hour ago, Texski said:

My predictions...

Mesq Poteet 28 Princeton 23.. closest game of the week. Loser likely has very little chance at playoff berth. Poteet wins a back and forth affair with late score

Melissa 46 Crandall 28.. Both Os can score but Melissa's D is better and if Crandall's QB really out will be very tough for Pirates to outscore Cards.

Denison 41 Greenville 14.. Denison better in trenches and wears down G-Ville

Lovejoy 50 Terrell 14.. Terrell may be better than most think. Tigers keep it close...for a half 

I hope you’re wrong about the Poteet game, but I too see this as a back and forth affair. Crandall without their QB could be a task too tall for Crandall to overcome. Greenville I think just doesn’t have enough juice this year to be a threat, Denison should put them away in rather convincing fashion. Lovejoy I think is due for a bounce back game and I think unfortunately for Terrell they are in the way this week. I haven’t seen much in Terrell this year though some I’m very intrigued to see how they compete tonight. 

29 minutes ago, Footballalltheway said:

This district is just full of poor football teams. Its a 2 team race in this district.  Really hoped when Melissa moved up it would be more competitive but that appears to not be the case.   Wish the UIL would do away with the Div1&2 nonsense in each classification as it waters down the competition too much.  

This realignment we are definitely a weaker district. Lots of young teams this go around in the district. Previously we’ve had some pretty stout districts with Lovejoy, Frisco and Denison. Melissa would’ve had some great comps with those three and even Reedy 3-4 years ago when they were at the height of their powers was a tough gauntlet of teams. This year not so much 

Recap of the week! 

Poteet 14 - Princeton 10 

Denison 34 - Greenville 27 

Lovejoy 59 - Terrell 7 

Melissa 50 - Crandall 22 

District Standings: 

1. Denison 3-1 (1-0) 

2. Lovejoy 2-2 (1-0) 

3. Melissa 2-2 (1-0) 

4. Mesquite Poteet 1-3 (1-0) 

5. Crandall 3-1 (0-1) 

6. Greenville 1-3 (0-1) 

7. Princeton 1-3 (0-1) 

8. Terrell 1-3 (0-1) 

• Like 1

I was glad to see this district thread created and hoping it would keep going but as only a handful of fans on here might be dying. I'll keep it gpoing at least one more week...

This weeks standings..

1. Denison 3-1 (1-0) 

2. Lovejoy 2-2 (1-0) 

3. Melissa 2-2 (1-0) 

4. Mesquite Poteet 1-3 (1-0) 

5. Crandall 3-1 (0-1) 

6. Greenville 1-3 (0-1) 

7. Princeton 1-3 (0-1) 

8. Terrell 1-3 (0-1) 

This weeks 9/23 (week 2 of district play) matchups...

Lovejoy at Denison

Greenville at Princeton

Mesquite Poteet at Crandall

Melissa at Terrell 

My predictions for this week...

Lovejoy 42 Denison 22

Greenville  32 Princeton 24

Crandall 35 Poteet 14

Melissa 46 Terrell 19

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am an 8 5A-D2 guy - Texas High.    October is here and it's time to start watching the adjoining district for how the first round playoff matchups may fall.    I see that the pre-season picks were Lovejoy, Crandall, Melissa and Denison making the playoffs in that order.   Is that still the consensus opinion?  

Over in district 8 most folks will  agree that Texas High, Hallsville and Marshall will likely be 3 of the 4. Who will be the fourth?   I have no idea. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 4:57 PM, Ace said:

I am an 8 5A-D2 guy - Texas High.    October is here and it's time to start watching the adjoining district for how the first round playoff matchups may fall.    I see that the pre-season picks were Lovejoy, Crandall, Melissa and Denison making the playoffs in that order.   Is that still the consensus opinion?  

Over in district 8 most folks will  agree that Texas High, Hallsville and Marshall will likely be 3 of the 4. Who will be the fourth?   I have no idea. 

Lovejoy

Melissa

and the last 2 won’t be decided until the last 2 weeks.  Probably Crandall 3rd, Denison 4th with Poteet as a dark horse.

Lovejoy plays Crandall next week and Melissa plays Denison. If Poteet loses to Greenville they are probably done.

I gonna go out on not much of a limb and say this district its Lovejoy’s to lose w/ Melissa being the runner up.  LJ has the best win between the two, played Argyle much closer too.  Melissa best win? Crandall maybe with Crandall playing with a backup QB?  

LJ seems to be taking care of business but Melissa’s D had all it could handle with Denison.  Melissa supposedly has D1 athletes at every level of D but they get lost for large portions of the game except #8 who is a gamer. 

They both have a few weeks to clean some stuff up but I think you are mostly seeing what both teams are.   

Edited by CrankyOldMan

On 10/16/2022 at 5:36 PM, CrankyOldMan said:

I gonna go out on not much of a limb and say this district its Lovejoy’s to lose w/ Melissa being the runner up.  LJ has the best win between the two, played Argyle much closer too.  Melissa best win? Crandall maybe with Crandall playing with a backup QB?  

LJ seems to be taking care of business but Melissa’s D had all it could handle with Denison.  Melissa supposedly has D1 athletes at every level of D but they get lost for large portions of the game except #8 who is a gamer. 

They both have a few weeks to clean some stuff up but I think you are mostly seeing what both teams are.   

Right now, I think Lovejoy/Melissa is a toss up IMO. Lovejoy does have the better win of the two and played Argyle closer than Melissa did. However, Melissa has notoriously been known to start a little slow out the gates. I think on paper everything leans towards Lovejoy, however they have shown time and time again over the past year and a half that any decent team can play with them. I think the Crandall game was closer than I expected and many others expected out of them. Whether they admit it or not it’s definitely some chemistry issues going on at Lovejoy. I think a lot of it stems from the QB situation. 

20 hours ago, collincountyfootball1 said:

Right now, I think Lovejoy/Melissa is a toss up IMO. Lovejoy does have the better win of the two and played Argyle closer than Melissa did. However, Melissa has notoriously been known to start a little slow out the gates. I think on paper everything leans towards Lovejoy, however they have shown time and time again over the past year and a half that any decent team can play with them. I think the Crandall game was closer than I expected and many others expected out of them. Whether they admit it or not it’s definitely some chemistry issues going on at Lovejoy. I think a lot of it stems from the QB situation. 

I am not very familiar with Lovejoy honestly so I will take your word on them.   I am largely basing my assessment on Melissa on the last two games they have played.  Look very uninspired and not very sharp.  The defense got driven by not very good Denison team.  Melissa always seems to be good just not great.  Whoever wins the game between Melissa and LJ I believe makes it to the regional championship otherwise I think either team gets knocked out by SOC in Rd. 2.

what is the deal with the two Lovejoy quarterbacks?  Can they not settle on a starter?  Is there some behind-the-scenes politics to play the one thats not as good?

12 minutes ago, CrankyOldMan said:

I am not very familiar with Lovejoy honestly so I will take your word on them.   I am largely basing my assessment on Melissa on the last two games they have played.  Look very uninspired and not very sharp.  The defense got driven by not very good Denison team.  Melissa always seems to be good just not great.  Whoever wins the game between Melissa and LJ I believe makes it to the regional championship otherwise I think either team gets knocked out by SOC in Rd. 2.

what is the deal with the two Lovejoy quarterbacks?  Can they not settle on a starter?  Is there some behind-the-scenes politics to play the one thats not as good?

That is the story of Melissa football man. It really depends what team you’re gonna get from them. They have a really high ceiling yet they can play down to competition. To be fair though, Denison and Poteet did breakout completely new defensive and offensive schemes for their Melissa matchups. Poteet a spread team all year lined up in the wing t against Melissa. Caused some problems early until they were able to figure it out. Lovejoy has the edge on paper to me still but given Lovejoys recent history against teams of Melissa’s caliber this game could swing either way. 

Regarding the Lovejoy QB’s however, they have their guy in Brayden Hagle a Sr QB who was the backup last year. However last year the starter was a Soph Hondo Franklin, and he was the districts newcomer of the year last year. Leading up to the season almost every major DFW outlet had him listed as on the top returners to look out for. This season I believe he’s been listed as the number 3 QB on the depth chart with a transfer from Plano, Gonzalez who was a 6A 1st team all-district selection last year and a Southern Miss commit as the number 2. In my opinion, I don’t see the vast improvement from Hagle that warranted Franklin to be benched especially with him being so young and already having a full year under his belt. I think this is the thinking process of a lot people in Lovejoy. I’ve seen players on twitter liking tweets that insinuate Hagle’s parents have some sort of politicking as to the reason why he’s the starter. It’s a thing but not a thing at the same time.

Crandall vs Terrell (GOTW) 

- This game is going to be crucial for seeding purposes. A win for either team will almost surely lock them into the number 3 spot with neither team having to face LOJO/Melissa down the stretch. I think Crandall wins this one in going away fashion. I think because of style of play Terrell may keep it close in the first half however I think Crandall will be too much offensively for the Tigers. Crandall 49-17

Melissa @ Greenville: 

- Melissa shouldn’t have any problem with the Lions this week. As long as the Melissa team that we know shows up. This one should be over pretty early and the backups should get considerable playing time. I’m going Melissa 63-14 

Princeton @ Denison: 

- It’s been a really tough year for the Panthers but that’s as expected when you’re playing 5A ball and only have 4 seniors on varsity. Denison is in a rebuilding year as well, a lot of the names and faces you were familiar with the Yellowjackets have moved on to the next level. Denison gets this done in rather convincing fashion I’m going Denison 42-10

Poteet @ Lovejoy: 

- Tough week of games in district 7-5AII  but this Lovejoy game I believe will go similar to the Princeton game. Lovejoy will be rotating backups by the 2nd quarter. Lovejoy wins by as many as they want tonight. Lovejoy 77-7

• Like 1

Current District Standings: 

1. Lovejoy 6-2 (5-0)
  2. Melissa 6-2 (5-0)
  3. Crandall 6-2 (3-2) 
  4. Denison 4-4 (2-3) 
  5. Mesquite Poteet 2-6 (2-3) 
  6. Terrell 3-5 (2-3) 
  7. Greenville 2-6 (1-4)
  8. Princeton 1-7 (0-5)   

2022 7-5A (II) Week 9 Results:

Crandall 36, Terrell 29