Week Five: Longview vs Lancaster

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (4-0) vs Lancaster Tiges (3-1)  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lancaster in a close one
    • Lancaster in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/24/2022 at 12:30 AM

longview.pnglancaster.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (4-0) VS LANCASTER TIGERS (3-1)

DATE: Friday, September 23rd
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
LANCASTER BROADCAST: n/a
LONGVIEW LIVE STREAM: Longview Gameday
LANCASTER LIVE STREAM: n/a

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 3-0-0 longview.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a game is a district contest.
The Lobos have a 3-0 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Lobos have a 3-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played at Longview.
The two schools have never played at Lancaster.
Longview has won the last three meetings with the Tigers.
The two schools have never played at Lobo Stadium.
The two schools have never played on September 23rd.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
11.19.2021 - Longview 34, Lancaster 14 - Mesquite Memorial Stadium
12.18.2020 - Longview 56, Lancaster 22 - Mesquite Memorial Stadium
11.21.2008 - Longview 49, Lancaster 22 - John E. Kincaide Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW:
A brewing rivalry takes place at Longview's Lobo Stadium in week five of the Texas High School Football season. The Longview Lobos and Lancaster Tigers face off in the likely 7-5A Division 1 district championship showdown tonight after meeting the last two seasons in post season action. To recap the season thus far, both teams have experienced a ton of success. The Lobos, ranked No. 1 in the state in Class 5A Division 1, roll back home for the first time in three weeks fresh off two dominating victories. Longview, two weeks ago, defeated Tyler Legacy at Rose Stadium, 69-0, the most points the Lobos have ever scored in Tyler, only to one up by steamrolling long time rival Lufkin, 56-7, at Abe Martin Stadium. The largest victory for a Longview team ever over their rivals to the south inside the city of Lufkin. With the district opening win last week, the Lobos improved to 4-0. Lancaster, on the other hand, improved to 3-1 by dismantling McKinney North 74-7. The Tigers have a dominating win over defending 5A Division II state champion, South Oak Cliff, to their resume. The only loss on the season was to Denton Guyer. The two teams will meet for the fourth time in their history, but the first ever in regular season with both being put into the same district for the first time. Longview ran past the Tigers in the 2008 first meeting, on their way to a State Finalist berth. In 2020, Lancaster came into Mesquite's Memorial Stadium riding high with the state's No. 2 ranking. The Lobos quickly revered all fortune for the Tigers that season, dominating Lancaster 56-20. Last season, the two teams battled to their closest battle yet. The Lobos lead 17-14 heading into the fourth quarter before Longview tallied 17 unanswered in the fourth for a 34-14 victory. Longview returns to Lobo Stadium for their district home opener, looking to keep a streak alive under John King. King is a perfect 18-0 in district home openers as head coach of the Lobos. Longview is also 50-2 all-time under John King in district home games. In district games themselves, John King sits at 99-9. After having won 14 district titles in his first 16 seasons, the last two seasons have seen the Lobos fail to win a district crown. That's the longest since a 7-season stretch from 1997 to 2003. Lancaster head coach Leon Paul, in his second season as head coach of the Tiges, has never lost a district ball game as head coach of the Tigers. Lancaster's last district loss came back in 2019 against Highland Park, a 42-35 overtime loss.

WEEK FOUR RESULTS FOR 7-5A DIVISION I:
Forney 43 14
Longview 56 7
Lancaster 74 7
North Mesquite 23 Tyler 27

WEEK FIVE 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
Lancaster at Longview
Lufkin at Forney
North Mesquite v. West Mesquite
Tyler at McKinney North (Thursday)

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS:
1st. Longview (4-0, 1-0)
2nd. Forney (3-1, 1-0)
3rd. Lancaster (3-1, 1-0)
4th. Tyler (1-3, 1-0)
5th. Lufkin (3-1, 0-1)
6th. McKinney North (3-1, 0-1)
7th. West Mesquite (3-1, 0-1)
8th. North Mesquite (1-3, 0-1)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW:
Last week - Humble Kingwood Park defeated Baytown Sterling, 44-0. La Porte defeated Baytown Lee, 27-20. Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill defeated Crosby, 28-27, in OT. Port Arthur Memorial defeated New Caney Porter, 18-17. Baytown Goose Creek Memorial was off.
This week - Baytown Lee plays Baytown Goose Creek Memorial. Humble Kingwood Park travels to Crosby. Port Arthur Memorial travels to Baytown Sterling. Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill travels to La Porte. New Caney Porter is off.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 4-0 (1-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (201-44 in 19 seasons) (Playoffs: 45-17)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 760-355-52 (Playoffs: 74-44-1)
Playoff Appearances: 47
Last Playoff Appearance: 2021, Class 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - at McKinney Boyd - Win 36-10
09.02 - vs Marshall - Win 48-11
09.09 - at Tyler Legacy - Win 69-0
09.16 - at Lufkin - Win 56-7
09.23 - vs Lancaster
10.07 - vs Forney
10.14 - at North Mesquite
10.21 - vs McKinney North
10.28 - at Tyler
11.04 - vs West Mesquite

LANCASTER TIGERS
Record: 3-1 (1-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: Leon Paul (13-3 in 2 seasons) (Playoffs: 1-1)
First Year of Football: 1919
All-Time Record: 520-438-30 (Playoffs: 25-25-0)
Playoff Appearances: 27
Last Playoff Appearance: 2021, 5A Division I Area Round
State Championships (0): None
State Championship Appearances (1): 2012 (5A D1)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - vs Dallas Skyline - Win 25-0
09.02 - vs Dallas South Oak Cliff - Win 21-3
09.08 - at Denton Guyer - Loss 50-27
09.16 - at McKinney North - Win 74-7
09.23 - at Longview
10.07 - at Tyler
10.14 - vs Forney
10.21 - at West Mesquite
10.28 - vs North Mesquite
11.04 - at Lufkin

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: September 23rd
In 1938, with under a minute to go, Hardy Miller hauled in a 76-yard pass reception for a score to give Longview a 14-7 victory over Dallas Tech at the Cotton Bowl. Leo Sapp scored the other touchdown Longview.
In 1949, Tommy Rae tallied a first quarter score for the Lobos before Sammy Morrow and J.E. Christian each tallied for the Wildcats in a 13-6 Paris win over Longview at Noyes Stadium.
In 1955, Pete Burks opened the scoring with a 72-yard rush before Tony Rothrock tallied twice in the 2nd quarter of a 39-6 victory over Arkansas High at Burham Field. Longview rushed for 326 yards on the day while holding the Razorbacks to 87 total yards.
In 1960, Bookie Schillcut and Alton Thomas each tallied twice in a 34-0 Shreveport Byrd victory over Longview at Lobo Stadium. The Jackets held Longview to 107 total yards on the day while piling up 450 themselves.
In 1966, Steve Judy rushed from 82 yards out in the first quarter before Rodney Hill tallied a 40-yard score in a 15-0 Lobo victory over Houston Smiley at Jones-Cowart Stadium.
In 1977, Jim Tutt’s field goal coupled with Dinky Edwards and Greg Brown touchdowns gave Longview a 17-0 lead before Galveston Ball’s comeback attempt fell just short in a 17-13 Lobo victory over the Tors.
In 1983, Joe Johnson rushed for two scores while Leon Hendrix returned a punt 92 yards in a 29-11 Longview win over Tyler Lee at Lobo Stadium. The Lobos rushed for 289 yards on the day.
In 1988, four Earnest Hunter rushing touchdowns paved the way for a 28-20 Longview victory over Tyler Lee at Rose Stadium.
In 1994, three Lobo turnovers in a 40 second span gave Bryan a 24-0 lead after the first quarter before Longview’s Chris Butcher tallied three touchdowns on his but it wasn’t enough in a 26-20 Viking victory over the Lobos at Viking Stadium. Longview held Bryan to 114 total yards on the day, but five turnovers were too much to overcome.
In 2005, Michael Berryman registered two scores before Vondrell McGee, Chris Ivory, Carlin Freeman, Jazmon Moon and D’Marcus Miles each tallied once for themselves in a 48-0 Longview victory over Mesquite at E.H. Handy Stadium.
In 2016, in a game that a combined 1,089 yards of offense, 9 different players scored a touchdown in a 56-35 Longview victory over Tyler Lee at Rose Stadium. D’Crayvan Polk was Longview’s star, tallying 3 touchdowns, with A’Darius Carter’s 74 yard kickoff return and Kobe Davis returning a blocked field goal 85 yard for a score being the highlights for the Lobos
In 2021, Jalen Hale hauled in three receiving touchdowns while Jarrett Lewis rushed for two in a 56-28 Lobo victory over West Mesquite at Mesquite Memorial Stadium. The Lobos tallied up 492 total yards on the day, in a game that saw the Lobos score four 4th quarter touchdowns.

lobohowl2.GIF
Edited by LoboFan07
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, VonG said:

Longview by 3 tds. I think Longview is on the same level with Guyer. We all know what Guyer did to Lancaster. I also might be selling myself short with the 3 tds prediction. I believe it will be more but I'll leave it at that.

Longview is definitely capable of winning by 3 tds plus. 

14 minutes ago, VonG said:

Longview by 3 tds. I think Longview is on the same level with Guyer. We all know what Guyer did to Lancaster. I also might be selling myself short with the 3 tds prediction. I believe it will be more but I'll leave it at that.

I think it has the potential to be like this as well, but no doubt Lancaster is by far the best team we will have faced this season.

North turned it over 6 times against the Tigers. That's something we clearly can not do. It looks like Lancaster has really cut the penalties down the last two weeks from their 243 total in their first two games.

We'll see if the Tigers can remain calm, they definitely lost their temper last November.

I'm thinking really, really good first half before the Lobos get away in the second.

• Like 2

I think it's pretty obvious that this "edition" of Longview Lobo Football is way up on another level from the competition !

Barring any unforeseen issues three or four score wins will be the absolute closest anyone comes to getting in the way of an undefeated regular season...

Then it's onto the playoffs....

R.J.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, RandyJohnson said:

I think it's pretty obvious that this "edition" of Longview Lobo Football is way up on another level from the competition !

Barring any unforeseen issues three or four score wins will be the absolute closest anyone comes to getting in the way of an undefeated regular season...

Then it's onto the playoffs....

R.J.

Lancaster will be the only team to keep it within 3-4 tds. Everyone else will be 5-6 tds and that's with Coach King calling the dogs off. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

They didn't travel well either of the last two seasons for a playoff game (one they were ranked #2 in the state in) in Mesquite....so......

Yeah I wouldn’t expect the Lancaster crowd to travel in mass numbers for this matchup. They really don’t show up in the masses unless it’s a local matchup, for example like SOC, Skyline, Desoto etc..