Week Five: Longview vs Lancaster

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (4-0) vs Lancaster Tiges (3-1)  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lancaster in a close one
    • Lancaster in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/24/2022 at 12:30 AM

I don’t think anybody wants any part of the Lobos this year. Coach King took his lumps last season with all that young talent, knowing exactly how it would make them this year. And they are now coming into their own. Downright scary as far as HS teams go. 

I think this year is Longview vs WHOEVER, and WHOEVER will have lots of long and quiet bus rides home.

Give me 48-13 and the L keeps on rocking.

45 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

That Greg County team by 14 👀

I think this is the most reasonable expectation.  A lot of the writers around the state are talking about the focus and workman like attitude Lancaster has. More than just speed and talent they are putting on the field.  Seem to be really focused under this new coach and determined to play hard nosed ball.  Going to be an epic game on Friday.

I didn’t know what to fully expect in the Lufkin game. While we dominated our first three opponents, the reality was, those teams simply aren’t very good. I’m not badmouthing those teams at all, simply stating that it was difficult to truly gauge where we were after those games. 
Playing Lufkin is different, however. They’d looked pretty good the first few games. And even if they didn’t, Longview-Lufkin is always a tough game, especially in Lufkin. Case and point, with the exception of last season, the 4 games prior to that were all 1 possession games. For Longview to dominate the way we did Friday night, IN Lufkin, was incredibly impressive.

Lancaster may have a good team this year. We may not win by 50. However, I just think this Lobo team is ranked #1 for a reason. And especially with this game being IN Longview, I do believe we win big. 

• Like 6

Been peeking in on Lancaster every since I saw them on the Lobo' schedule,got life-long friends up there that stay glued to Lancaster football 

They like what they are seeing and are not running a big head about it,jisr were telling me early on that this group was solid and focused and intent.

But solid against whom is always the unknown variable. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

Been peeking in on Lancaster every since I saw them on the Lobo' schedule,got life-long friends up there that stay glued to Lancaster football 

They like what they are seeing and are not running a big head about it,jisr were telling me early on that this group was solid and focused and intent.

But solid against whom is always the unknown variable.

I mean they've faced South Oak Cliff and Denton Guyer. SOC is definitely not what they were last season, but they're still very good. Guyer is incredibly talented and definitely a favorite to win it all in 6A.

This is going to be Longview's toughest test of the regular season, and honestly our toughest test until probably the 3rd round of the playoffs (if not 4th, when we could easily see Lancaster again the way this region is shaping up this year). Glad we have it at home this season.

Last season was a knock out, drag out fight until the Lobos pulled away in the 4th. I think we're both much better teams this season. We need to get hit in the mouth in the regular season just to get a taste of how we'll respond. Gliding through the regular season like I suspect we will after this game, is not a good thing. We've seen what happens when that occurs....just look at Lancaster back in 2020 before they faced us.

• Like 3

Lancaster has played a much more difficult schedule. Guyer is Guyer and SOC is still really good on defense. Longview has not played teams this good. I say Lancaster is ahead at halftime and the game is decided in the fourth quarter. I think Longview wins by a touchdown because they are playing in Longview. Longview 38 Lancaster 32.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I mean they've faced South Oak Cliff and Denton Guyer. SOC is definitely not what they were last season, but they're still very good. Guyer is incredibly talented and definitely a favorite to win it all in 6A.

This is going to be Longview's toughest test of the regular season, and honestly our toughest test until probably the 3rd round of the playoffs (if not 4th, when we could easily see Lancaster again the way this region is shaping up this year). Glad we have it at home this season.

Last season was a knock out, drag out fight until the Lobos pulled away in the 4th. I think we're both much better teams this season. We need to get hit in the mouth in the regular season just to get a taste of how we'll respond. Gliding through the regular season like I suspect we will after this game, is not a good thing. We've seen what happens when that occurs....just look at Lancaster back in 2020 before they faced us.

Yep. In 2018, multiple players commented on the game in Rockwall being the game that really set the tone for the rest of the season. During the State Championship game, apparently players were telling one another “Let’s come back like against Rockwall. We’re fine.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grainraiser said:

Lancaster has played a much more difficult schedule. Guyer is Guyer and SOC is still really good on defense. Longview has not played teams this good. I say Lancaster is ahead at halftime and the game is decided in the fourth quarter. I think Longview wins by a touchdown because they are playing in Longview. Longview 38 Lancaster 32.

I am looking for Longview to get pushed by this tested Lancaster squad.  I really thought Lufkin would put up more of fight, but Longview's overall talent and Lufkin's youth made that a no contest early.  Longview needs to be pushed hard.  This may be the only team left on the schedule that can do it...maybe North if they can hold onto the ball.

4 hours ago, kingwolf said:

I am looking for Longview to get pushed by this tested Lancaster squad.  I really thought Lufkin would put up more of fight, but Longview's overall talent and Lufkin's youth made that a no contest early.  Longview needs to be pushed hard.  This may be the only team left on the schedule that can do it...maybe North if they can hold onto the ball.

North will be a blowout...