Week Five: Longview vs Lancaster

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (4-0) vs Lancaster Tiges (3-1)  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lancaster in a close one
    • Lancaster in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/24/2022 at 12:30 AM

1 minute ago, upullinmychain said:

Sounded like Lancaster wanted to break one off in yall...dang boy..lol 😂...had me worried there foe and minute.

I was worried too...  'til we started lining up in the Strong I formation and running inside power.  ;)

• Like 1

I don’t get some of these other posters. 

5AD1 is not 4AD2 where one team is going to dominate the entire year. We’re not 83 Daingerfield.

Theres too many good teams in this class to expect us just to dominate every single opponent.

We needed a test before the playoffs. We got it and passed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Just now, LoboFan07 said:

5AD1 is not 4AD2 where one team is going to dominate the entire year. We’re not 83 Daingerfield.

Theres too many good teams in this class to expect us just to dominate every single opponent.

I’ll take the bait.  I didn’t watch the game expecting Longview to dominate Lancaster.  I did however expect to see the #1 team in 5A D1 execute at a high level on both sides of the ball.  Outside of Tatum & Hale, it was meh at best. Good news is all of it can be corrected.

6 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I think many of these Lobo fans underestimated Lancaster. They act like Lancaster is just another team. The game went about the way I thought it would. Lancaster made the crucial mistake in the 4th quarter and that really was the difference in the game. I expect for you guys to meet again and we both know it is hard to beat a team twice. I think we can agree that Longview, Lancaster and Forney will be in the playoffs. I will be a fight for that fourth spot.

Just now, Grainraiser said:

I think many of these Lobo fans underestimated Lancaster. They act like Lancaster is just another team. The game went about the way I thought it would. Lancaster made the crucial mistake in the 4th quarter and that really was the difference in the game. I expect for you guys to meet again and we both know it is hard to beat a team twice. I think we can agree that Longview, Lancaster and Forney will be in the playoffs. I will be a fight for that fourth spot.

I'll give that 4th spot to McKinney North. 

Crazy how a game like this could have gone either way. Longview could have won by 21-28 points if they had capitalized on all their opportunities, but they could just as easily have lost if Lancaster doesn’t throw the INT in the end zone. 

Both teams made mistakes. Both teams can improve.  But Longview has to find more ways to get the football into Hale’s hands. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Eh. We had two picks in first half, they had three in second half despite us having the hands on the ball constantly all night. 

King made a decision to run run and run some more through the tackles. I’m not sure why but it was an obvious game plan. 

Lancaster is a damn good football team and anyone who thinks otherwise is insane. Who outside of them could we see in round 4? It’s gonna be them. 

They threw everything at us all night and we withstood it. We held them to 13 total points, despite some very good starting positions for them. 

Ugly, gutsy. Call it what you what. We showed up and won when it mattered, which is exactly what you have to hope happens when you play a team like that.

My personal opinion...King's play calling was the result of him trying to slow down the game. Lancaster is obviously high octane. Anything you can do to change that is a benefit. The problem was that King, and probably most of us, underestimated Lancaster's defense. The Lancaster D came in with a plan to sell everything they own to stop us between the tackles and they did it. When we did tried to pass, they slipped our line way too quickly and J. Allen didn't have time to make his reads. Now he has vastly improved since last year, but let's face it. If we have to depend on his feet this year, we're in trouble. He can not read a defense when he is rushing. He seems to run head-long into a defender every time. He also has trouble scrambling in a way to free up his arm. He simply needs time to throw and Lancaster was doing very well at not giving him that time. Listening to King's post-game, he knew his play-calling made this game harder than it had to be. He played right into what Lancaster was doing. I personally feel it was a good game plan for frustrating Lancaster and I, too, was not expecting 1) that the Lancaster D was that good, and 2) that their whole team would play with that much discipline. It wasn't until the end of the 3rd that he seemed to realize he needed to spread the field some. I think Kings knows he should have recognized it earlier, but when you have a plan, you need to at least see where it's going to take you. I give him credit for doing it in time. That Lobo D was lights out again. 6 dropped interceptions were a little tough to swallow, but they handled it. Good game to both teams.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, LOL said:

Meh, there were certainly mistakes, but I can't say "disappointment" is the word I would use. Certainly frustration. But there's nothing that happened that can't be fixed and coached up. These are, after all, teenagers we're talking about. 

But yeah, I gotta give credit to Lancaster, their coach had a great gameplan and his players executed it dang near to completion. The really gave us plenty of good looks and revealed plenty of areas we need to improve right away. 

I might've missed it. What was Lancasters "great gameplan"?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Five0pd310 said:

My personal opinion...King's play calling was the result of him trying to slow down the game. Lancaster is obviously high octane. Anything you can do to change that is a benefit. The problem was that King, and probably most of us, underestimated Lancaster's defense. The Lancaster D came in with a plan to sell everything they own to stop us between the tackles and they did it. When we did tried to pass, they slipped our line way too quickly and J. Allen didn't have time to make his reads. Now he has vastly improved since last year, but let's face it. If we have to depend on his feet this year, we're in trouble. He can not read a defense when he is rushing. He seems to run head-long into a defender every time. He also has trouble scrambling in a way to free up his arm. He simply needs time to throw and Lancaster was doing very well at not giving him that time. Listening to King's post-game, he knew his play-calling made this game harder than it had to be. He played right into what Lancaster was doing. I personally feel it was a good game plan for frustrating Lancaster and I, too, was not expecting 1) that the Lancaster D was that good, and 2) that their whole team would play with that much discipline. It wasn't until the end of the 3rd that he seemed to realize he needed to spread the field some. I think Kings knows he should have recognized it earlier, but when you have a plan, you need to at least see where it's going to take you. I give him credit for doing it in time. That Lobo D was lights out again. 6 dropped interceptions were a little tough to swallow, but they handled it. Good game to both teams.

This ^^^^. Sometimes you gotta drag your feet to slow a team down,to allow your team to dictate the narrative to the opponent.it ain't about scoring 50,it's about not letting your opponent score 51 👀

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AledoAlumni said:

I might've missed it. What was Lancasters "great gameplan"?

Great question, here's what I *think* Lancaster was trying to do.
(Please bear with me, I'm a little hungover and about to go coach my son's flag football game. :woot:)

1.) Tempo offense: don't let Longview get set and come after you. They'll wear out your o-line and backs with a heavy barrage. Get the ball out before they get there. 

2.) Get in space: Longview's team tackling is (arguably) the best in 5A because of how well the D swarms to the ball, but Lancaster's team speed is ridiculous, so force the DBs/LBs out on islands and try to beat them one-on-one. 

3.) Neutralize Hale: Lancaster had an extra DB with eyes on Hale every play, and the LBs were also cheating toward him. They were daring literally any other Lobo to beat them. (He did.) 

4.) Pressure Allen: For all the great strides Allen's made this year, he's still ineffective under a heavy rush. No QB is. Lancaster's d-line did a great job of shooting the gaps and disrupting the line. They also sent an extra LB just about every other play. 

Like I said, it's a solid gameplan, and it almost worked. The main thing they couldn't overcome was the fact that Taylor Tatum is (arguably) the best RB in 5A. 

This game felt to me like Mike Tyson boxing Muhammad Ali. If Tyson doesn't get the quick early knockout, Ali's long jabs and great chin will wear him out. 

We can expect all future opponents to break down this film quite closely, because the recipe for beating Longview is right here. But the ingredients aren't easy to combine. Lobo UP. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, LOL said:

Great question, here's what I *think* Lancaster was trying to do.
(Please bear with me, I'm a little hungover and about to go coach my son's flag football game. :woot:)

1.) Tempo offense: don't let Longview get set and come after you. They'll wear out your o-line and backs with a heavy barrage. Get the ball out before they get there. 

2.) Get in space: Longview's team tackling is (arguably) the best in 5A because of how well the D swarms to the ball, but Lancaster's team speed is ridiculous, so force the DBs/LBs out on islands and try to beat them one-on-one. 

3.) Neutralize Hale: Lancaster had an extra DB with eyes on Hale every play, and the LBs were also cheating toward him. They were daring literally any other Lobo to beat them. (He did.) 

4.) Pressure Allen: For all the great strides Allen's made this year, he's still ineffective under a heavy rush. No QB is. Lancaster's d-line did a great job of shooting the gaps and disrupting the line. They also sent an extra LB just about every other play. 

Like I said, it's a solid gameplan, and it almost worked. The main thing they couldn't overcome was the fact that Taylor Tatum is (arguably) the best RB in 5A. 

This game felt to me like Mike Tyson boxing Muhammad Ali. If Tyson doesn't get the quick early knockout, Ali's long jabs and great chin will wear him out. 

We can expect all future opponents to break down this film quite closely, because the recipe for beating Longview is right here. But the ingredients aren't easy to combine. Lobo UP. 

Fair post. Lancaster on offense seemed like a great value version of Texas Tech. Their defense though was the most impressive unit to me. And I think the best player on the field was #2 for LV. Dude is really good but he needs more touches!!! LV needs better play calling. 

• Like 2