Shelbyville Dragons (3-1) at Joaquin Rams (2-1)

trueblue82

District 11AA D1 Opener  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Dragons or Rams?

• Shelbyville Dragons
    • Joaquin Rams

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/24/2022 at 12:00 AM

In what is now the longest running rivalry between two Shelby County teams, the Shelbyville Dragons will bring their high flying offense into Ram Stadium to open up District 11 AA Division 1 competition against their arch-rivals, the Joaquin Rams. The Dragons have looked impressive in their wins over Alto (2-2), Elysian Fields (0-4) and KIPP Generations (1-3), while losing a blowout to a really good Hemphill (4-0) team. The Rams also looked good in their blowout wins over Arp (1-3) and Tenaha (2-2), and came up short to a really good Beckville squad (3-1). It will be hard to find a starker contrast in offensive style than these teams. The Dragons work to achieve balance, using a very effective short passing game to spread the defense and open running lanes for RB Zay Cartwright. The Rams’ idea of balance is an equal amount of runs to the right and left. It’s been very difficult to stop however, as they are averaging over 500 rushing yards per game, spreading carries among QB Gauge Jordan and RBs Andre Brown, Malik Stotts and Jericho Newman. This game probably comes down to who can come up with a defensive game plan to get enough stops to allow their offense to win it. Since the turn of the century, the Rams hold a 16-7 advantage in the series. 

• Like 1

I expect an INTENSE effort! 

Occasionally these two squads will have one of those special games where it's close no matter what. 

Joe has had the upper hand for many years but this rivalry is so old some of us can remember when Shelbyville had the upper hand. 

From what I've observed this one has the makings for a classic. 

I think it will be high scoring. 

34 minutes ago, Gen7Dragon said:

Occasionally these two squads will have one of those special games where it's close no matter what. 

Joe has had the upper hand for many years but this rivalry is so old some of us can remember when Shelbyville had the upper hand. 

I saw where the Shelbyville/ KIPP game got called early. Was it getting that out of hand? How much time was left?

1 minute ago, trueblue82 said:

I saw where the Shelbyville/ KIPP game got called early. Was it getting that out of hand? How much time was left?

I'm not sure about all the details? My kids were there and they said the backups played the whole second half. 

So the game wasn't called just maybe the starters didn't play the 2nd half? 

Just now, Gen7Dragon said:

I'm not sure about all the details? My kids were there and they said the backups played the whole second half. 

So the game wasn't called just maybe the starters didn't play the 2nd half? 

Ok thanks. ShelbyCountyToday showed that it was called. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gen7Dragon said:

I haven’t seen Shelbyville this year. I do know that last year I was impressed with progress Coach Wallace had made in the short time he had been there. I think they probably play pitch and catch as well as any small school in East Texas. Our defense gave up five TDs to Beckville and Jacoby Williams a few weeks ago, so I expect they are using that game film heavily. The real conundrum is slowing that run game down. This may very well be the best O-line Coach Lawson has had, and we rotate six capable RBs to tote the rock. 

47 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I haven’t seen Shelbyville this year. I do know that last year I was impressed with progress Coach Wallace had made in the short time he had been there. I think they probably play pitch and catch as well as any small school in East Texas. Our defense gave up five TDs to Beckville and Jacoby Williams a few weeks ago, so I expect they are using that game film heavily. The real conundrum is slowing that run game down. This may very well be the best O-line Coach Lawson has had, and we rotate six capable RBs to tote the rock. 

Saw them for our last game of season last year,that one was enough..

Said rite then with what they had returning that they could be dangerous and we're gonna fly under the radar for a while..they have the tools to light up a defense if they come in rusty and unprepared..I stand by that assessment..be ready Joe..js