🤹 2022-23 Coaching Carousel 🤹

blesseddaily

2 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Big question.... 

Is Nebraska an attractive program in this day and age?

Yeah, you're talking about recruits who weren't even born the last time Nebraska was competitive. The days of yore with Dr. Tom Osborne mean nothing to these kids. The mythos of the walk-ons, blackshirts, and massive weightroom are bygone relics. 

The new guy would have to bring his own hype and cachet. NU has already gone with the legacy pick for head coach, that didn't work. They need someone who can, essentially reinvent and rebrand the program. 

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

I think most big names would avoid it.  I think up and comers will be all they can attract.  

3 minutes ago, LOL said:

Yeah, you're talking about recruits who weren't even born the last time Nebraska was competitive. The days of yore with Dr. Tom Osborne mean nothing to these kids. The mythos of the walk-ons, blackshirts, and massive weightroom are bygone relics. 

The new guy would have to bring his own hype and cachet. NU has already gone with the legacy pick for head coach, that didn't work. They need someone who can, essentially reinvent and rebrand the program. 

Joel Klatt made a good point. With the SEC and Big 10 being the head conferences (and USC now joining the Big 10), where do you recruit from if you're Nebraska? Texas is essentially already taken, and Ohio State, USC and Michigan are going to get the cream of the crop in that conference... There's nothing about Nebraska that is appealing to kids, and moving out of the Big 12 lost their footprint in this state.

I've seen Dave Aranda thrown out there. Which sounds crazy, but the new Big 12 will be an after thought. Nebraska being in the Big 10 is a plus for them moving forward, but I don't see anybody wanting to go play there over other programs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

I keep hearing Gary Patterson is one they are definitely looking at --> I just don't want it to happen because I LOVE him at Texas!!!

I think Gary P knows that's an uphill battle to climb for anyone. I think he's at Texas through 2023.

1 minute ago, ETXfan16 said:

I think Gary P knows that's an uphill battle to climb for anyone. I think he's at Texas through 2023.

Patterson is 62 and his wife is a Texas grad.  He's being paid a lot of $$ from TCU for a while.  I've also seen talk that he doesn't want to deal with recruiting anymore with portal, NIL, and everything else going on now.  I think he's pretty happy what he's doing right now:  breaking down game film and game planning with no outside stress or having to deal with recruiting/media/ect.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Patterson is 62 and his wife is a Texas grad.  He's being paid a lot of $$ from TCU for a while.  I've also seen talk that he doesn't want to deal with recruiting anymore with portal, NIL, and everything else going on now.  I think he's pretty happy what he's doing right now:  breaking down game film and game planning with no outside stress or having to deal with recruiting/media/ect.

He genuinely seems to be very happy and loving his time so far. 

43 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Joel Klatt made a good point. With the SEC and Big 10 being the head conferences (and USC now joining the Big 10), where do you recruit from if you're Nebraska? Texas is essentially already taken, and Ohio State, USC and Michigan are going to get the cream of the crop in that conference... There's nothing about Nebraska that is appealing to kids, and moving out of the Big 12 lost their footprint in this state.

I've seen Dave Aranda thrown out there. Which sounds crazy, but the new Big 12 will be an after thought. Nebraska being in the Big 10 is a plus for them moving forward, but I don't see anybody wanting to go play there over other programs.

Dave Aranda will land a much better job than Nebraska…..IF he ever leaves Baylor.  I’d say Baylor is a better job than Nebraska now.  Better stadium, sitting in a fertile recruiting ground…. But they’re in the Big12.  I could see Aranda landing at places like Wisconsin, LSU, Clemson, Bama, Michigan, Texas A&M.  All are better situations than Nebraska.

edit….  I don’t think those jobs open up soon, but I think they Could in the next 3-10ish years.  Some possibly sooner than others

Edited by DB2point0
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ETXfan16 said:

What do you think about Pete K?

I think last weekend was a perfect example. There is incredible pressure on him with GP sitting there. If things go well, like Saturday the cameras find GP on the sidelines talking about him being the analyst that has changed the program. If a game goes bad, it's PK's.

27 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

What do you think about Pete K?

Which would you rather have?  

I’m not certain Pete K can adapt.  Last year we saw square pegs in round holes all year.  I understand you typically see the biggest jump in year 2, but it’s clouded because Patterson is there and was said to have been scheming for Bama for 3 months.  

heck, if Gary is happy to stay in the role he’s in and Pete as DC go with it.  Only the staff will really know how much the improvement is from the 2nd year jump or patterson’s effect on the D.  

if I had to pick, I go with Patterson.

I'd go with Patterson just because I've familiar with him and know what he brings to the table.

You're right, it's a bit muddy on if Pete has made the adjustments or if Patterson has made that much of an impact. I'm not sure where you go with picking one of the two from my standpoint.

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

I'd go with Patterson just because I've familiar with him and know what he brings to the table.

You're right, it's a bit muddy on if Pete has made the adjustments or if Patterson has made that much of an impact. I'm not sure where you go with picking one of the two from my standpoint.

I think Patterson is good at Defense period.  Scheme doesn’t really matter. I believe he’ll make Pete K better at what he does.  

• Thanks 1