***Week 5: Alto Yellowjackets (2-2) @ Groveton Indians (1-3) - Friday | 7:30 p.m.***

StingEmALTO

Alto @ Groveton  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Alto
    • Groveton

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/24/2022 at 12:30 AM

The Alto Yellowjackets travel to Groveton this Friday to take on the Indians; kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. The Jackets and Indians go way back….to 1928! This will be the 71st time the teams have met with Groveton holding the series record 37-31-2.

The Jackets fell in a slugfest to Garrison on Friday 28-20 while the Indians lost to Grapeland on Thursday 44-26.

Schedules and results for the 2022 season thus far:

Shelbyville 48 - Alto 44
Alto 48 - West Sabine 22
Alto 22 - San Augustine 8
Garrison 28 - Alto 20

Lovelady 28 - Groveton 7
Groveton 27 - Trinity 0
Frankston 14 - Groveton 2
Grapeland 44 - Groveton 26

ALTO-GROVETON SERIES

All-Time Record for Alto:
     600 wins | 383 losses | 34 ties | 1,017 total games

All-Time Record for Groveton:
     670 wins | 339 losses | 34 ties | 1,043 total games

All-Time Series Record:
     Groveton - 37 wins | Alto - 31 wins | 2 ties

Groveton’s longest winning streak vs. Alto:
     8 wins in a row (1976-1983)

Alto's longest winning streak vs. Groveton:
     9 wins in a row (1997-2011)

Current streak:  Alto 4 wins in a row (2013 - now)

Both teams took one on the chin last week. Who gets back in the win column?

0003E8BF-4D49-4719-81C3-42D48E41C318.jpeg

Edited by StingEmALTO

• StingEmALTO changed the title to ***Week 5: Alto Yellowjackets (2-2) @ Groveton Indians (1-3) - Friday | 7:30 p.m.***
15 minutes ago, Bear9T1 said:

Alto and it won’t be close…this team is playing some great ball right now!  

We got some things to clean up but thanks! I know another team that’s playing some dang good ball too! Lol Saw y’all vs. Beckville AND Daingerfield when we played on different days. Gotta follow my Alto kid #3 as much as possible! Coached him in baseball since t-ball and proud he’s getting the opportunity to contribute at Timpson. Congrats on the dub vs. Waskom!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RipperRipper said:

Thanks, we lost a good player for the season friday night. Gonna miss him. I'm impressed with you guys. I knew the kids over there would hold their heads high. Proud of you all.

Man, I hate to hear that. Always do. Is he a senior? Sure hope he’s not. Any chance he’ll be well when y’all play Mart for the regional championship?

And thanks, Ripper. The kids are doing their thing and leaving it all on the field. Could easily be 4-0 but for a play here and there. Enjoying and taking it all in.

Good luck this week vs. Lone Oak, but I don’t think you’ll need it. Lol

I hear ya. He's a sophomore. He may be able to run track if everything goes well in rehab. He was a good enough athlete to be our punt returner and receiver/corner. Had surgery yesterday. Prayers for healing. You are getting a little ahead of yourself on the regional championship. We ain't there yet. Ha.....

20 minutes ago, RipperRipper said:

I hear ya. He's a sophomore. He may be able to run track if everything goes well in rehab. He was a good enough athlete to be our punt returner and receiver/corner. Had surgery yesterday. Prayers for healing. You are getting a little ahead of yourself on the regional championship. We ain't there yet. Ha.....

I looked into my crystal ball and that’s what it said. 🤷‍♂️

Glad the young man is just a sophomore! Wish him the best in his recovery. 

Just now, StingEmALTO said:

I’d be curious to know what y’all’s series with Groveton looks like. Any idea without me looking it up? Lol

Lol yes sir!! 
when we stopped playing them in 2015 we had beaten them from 97 to 2015! 18 years straight… lol I’m glad to get the rivalry back goin !  The overall deal I can’t remember who is ahead..  but it’s very close ..  groveton was tough to beat in the 80s

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, corrigancamden09 said:

Lol yes sir!! 
when we stopped playing them in 2015 we had beaten them from 97 to 2015! 18 years straight… lol I’m glad to get the rivalry back goin !  The overall deal I can’t remember who is ahead..  but it’s very close ..  groveton was tough to beat in the 80s

I was noticing had they not beaten us in 2012 we would have 14 in a row, but they did soooo…….it’s 4 in a row now. Lol

Looked y’all up: (played 85 times starting in 1931)

54-29-2 Groveton

I hate that this rivalry isn’t what it used to be. Alto has been catching up in the series for the most part since the 90’s. As a kid the one game that everyone was ready for was the Groveton game. The battles of the 80’s and 90’s seem to be gone for now. Hopefully both these teams get back to the former glory days and make this the great rivalry it used to be. As of this year the Jackets should handle business. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jacketgrad06 said:

I hate that this rivalry isn’t what it used to be. Alto has been catching up in the series for the most part since the 90’s. As a kid the one game that everyone was ready for was the Groveton game. The battles of the 80’s and 90’s seem to be gone for now. Hopefully both these teams get back to the former glory days and make this the great rivalry it used to be. As of this year the Jackets should handle business. 

I agree. And we talked about that very thing tonight at Booster Club. So many had stories to share and talk about toward the end of the meeting of highlights and memories of Alto-Groveton games over the years. From filling SFA with over 12,000 folks in attendance to the battles at Palestine and Abe Martin. Playing each other regularly twice a year and sometime splitting with one winning the regular season game and the other winning the playoff game, etc. And even further back to a 7-2 Alto win when our QB ran out of the end zone on 4th down to prevent a blocked punt. The big win 31-0 when we finally got over the hump in beating them in the playoffs to the devastating defeat 14-13 in area when we were wire to wire #1. Good times, close losses, blowouts, and shutouts. Wish these kids had an inkling of those feelings evoked when these two met. 

• Like 1

Area football previews for Week 5

Alto Yellowjackets (2-2) at Groveton Indians (1-3)

7:30 p.m. Friday at John W. Reynolds Athletic Complex in Groveton

Last Week: Garrison 28, Alto 20; Grapeland 44, Groveton 26

Next Week: Alto and Groveton have a bye next week.

Game Notes: The Yellowjackets will be playing their second-straight road game this week...The Alto offense is averaging 33 points a game, while the Indian offense is scoring 15 points a night on average ...Look for the Mean Sting to return the the win column this week.

https://www.jacksonvilleprogress.com/sports/area-football-previews-for-week-5/article_9d29cbea-3a6d-11ed-9d12-8b2b2e9a7e29.html

659D66B1-0F59-433B-A5D0-C20078B65381.jpeg

• Like 1