Week 4 discussion thread

Coach Rab

OU Fans, think about this.  TBOW otherwise known as Lincoln Riley the lord and savior of the mentally insane in LA, has a real chance of starting 6-0 and being ranked in the top 5 before they even play a team with a pulse this season.  If he can manage not to lose to inferior opponents and escape Utah, they will likely go undefeated in the PAC 12.

Further note, Oklahoma has good spacing in their big games vs Texas, Baylor and Oklahoma State.  A win vs Texas will put them top 4 IMHO and set them up nicely vs the other 2 big opponents.  Not enough is being said about what has been done at OU to change their toughness thus far.

Congratulations to Kentucky.  They are off to a fine start.  They are a solid top 25 team, not a top 10 team.

Same for Tennessee.  

Clemson has a gauntlet in 3 of their next 4 weeks.  Survive those games, and they are a CFP team again.

Anyone who did not vote Georgia #1 should not have a college football poll vote right now.  They came is as the best team in the nation, and have done absolutely nothing for anyone to doubt that ranking.  Let them play bad before you doubt their talent on the field.

• Thanks 1

I’m interested to see the OU/KState game Saturday. KState was a trendy Big12 pick during the summer but lost 17-10 to Tulane last week. Did the Wildcats just get caught looking ahead or is that who they are? OU has looked great on both sides of the ball so far but the competition is lacking. Night game in Norman should be fun. 

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

OU Fans, think about this.  TBOW otherwise known as Lincoln Riley the lord and savior of the mentally insane in LA, has a real chance of starting 6-0 and being ranked in the top 5 before they even play a team with a pulse this season.  If he can manage not to lose to inferior opponents and escape Utah, they will likely go undefeated in the PAC 12.

You just described Riley's entire tenure at OU, and what I expect out of his tenure at USC. It's why the hire made so much sense, and why OU fans who actually know football don't lament his departure. 

Frankly, I expect Riley to run the table in the entire Pac 12. Shoot, he could let Caleb Williams play sandlot football and beat Oregon, Utah, or anyone else. The league is just that weak. I fully expect USC to be undefeated conference champs, and earn a Playoff spot...   where they will be summarily crushed by Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama, or whoever. 

Rinse, repeat. 

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Further note, Oklahoma has good spacing in their big games vs Texas, Baylor and Oklahoma State.  A win vs Texas will put them top 4 IMHO and set them up nicely vs the other 2 big opponents.  Not enough is being said about what has been done at OU to change their toughness thus far.

And it's why this entire season is a "mulligan" for me, this right here: toughness

OU will likely drop a couple games this season. I think we split games with the state of Kansas this season. Not sure if it's the Jayhawks or the Wildcats, but we ain't beating both of 'em. Assuming UT gets Ewers back, it's wholly possible the 'Horns win this season. (but RRS is always a crapshoot) Then, I figure we lose to either Okie State or Baylor. 

We're gonna finish something like 11-2 or 10-3, and finish with a nice win in a mid-tier bowl, which is a helluva way to end what could've been an absolutely devastating season.

OU is looking good and has made great strides in a ridiculously short amount of time, but this is still a very young program in its development. I love what Venables, Schmidty et al have done thus far and I'm thrilled about the future. 

8 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

USC will get popped by a team you aren’t expecting. That is also part of the Riley experience.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47vu91ku77mz8yndikqo

Saturday I caught myself "unclenching" about midway through the second quarter, when I realized we weren't just going to roll over and let an inferior team compete. 

For the first time in *literally* years I was able to enjoy an OU game without the stomach-churning fear that we were about to piss away a winnable game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LOL said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47vu91ku77mz8yndikqo

Saturday I caught myself "unclenching" about midway through the second quarter, when I realized we weren't just going to roll over and let an inferior team compete. 

For the first time in *literally* years I was able to enjoy an OU game without the stomach-churning fear that we were about to piss away a winnable game. 

Playing Nebraska can also help ease the mind and help you sit back and relax😂

• LOL! 1

On 9/20/2022 at 9:07 AM, MavGrad99 said:

Lincoln Riley the lord and savior of the mentally insane in LA, has a real chance of starting 6-0 and being ranked in the top 5 before they even play a team with a pulse this season.  If he can manage not to lose to inferior opponents and escape Utah, they will likely go undefeated in the PAC 12.

That is very plausible. Their defense prevents them from being a legit contender imo but there is no way that an undefeated USC team is not in the playoff (where they would get woodshedded by Georgia, Bama or OSU). I am rooting for the Trojans to run the table because it is good for college football when USC is relevant. Whatever someone thinks of "Muleshoe" they can not deny that he has had a huge impact on the USC program in a very short time and that they are light years improved from where they have been.