Hey @MattStepp

LetsGoEagles

I have another question for Matt: 

What platform or means would you recommend for getting a request to the UIL? Someone needs to reach out to schools and unite their voice about broadcast rights.  

I'd like to see the playoff TV rights that are sold to Bally or whoever also remain with the individual school.  I know there are several schools that are streaming games on YT and other platforms. I know Gilmer,  Van,  Brownsboro, Lindale,  and countless others have their local guys doing the broadcast.  Last season for instance,  Van and Gilmer meet in the 3rd round and are not allowed to stream because NFHS wanted the game.  So,  the kids and families are forced to watch a broadcast either done by strangers or with no audio at all instead of having the folks that have been there all season continue to do it.  I know these guys are not pros and they're Homer's, but I think most people prefer it that way.  They know these kids and coaches and the community in such a way that no other announcers can come close to the knowledge they have.  I never thought about it until a Dad of a player out in west Texas told me that they would travel to the games and then come home and in the wee hours of Saturday morning sit on the couch eating whataburger and listen to their local guys to see what they said during the game.  He said all the kids loved their guys because they knew them and gave some nicknames and knew what positions their Dads played,  etc....

I'm wondering the best way to get all these schools together in one voice to let the UIL know their desires.  I can't imagine any schools would not want to retain their rights. 

I understand it might cost the UIL some money because those companies wouldn't pay as much with competition for the games.  But,  it feels like they are pimping kids for money anyway.    

***exception would be championship games.  Those guys do great work

Edited by trashyhound
  • Like 2

I'm sure DCTF is impressed with Bellville, but I'm willing to bet their top 10 polls work a little different than all the other computer/power polls out there.  I would assume it has a human element attached to it and that is why you haven't seen Bellville jump as high.  The computer polls were impressed with Bellville.  When they destroyed both Navasota and Cameron the way they did, their stock went up quickly - now up to #2 in two polls and #5 in another.  Also #2 on Maxpreps.

Example

Bellville could beat La Marque by 7 this week.  That would be considered a disappointment for the computer polls and would actually hurt their stock in those rankings.  However, if Silsbee and Wimberley were to lose, Bellville would still jump them in the DCTF rankings. 

Brock is 0-4 and not anywhere to be found in DCTF top 10 rankings.  However, they just dropped out of the #1 slot to #2 in this week's computer rankings. 

I know they use these computer rankings for their preseason magazine rankings, but that is not the case during the regular season.  At the end of the day, there simply hasn't been enough movement from the teams ranked ahead of Bellville.  Records are more of a factor.  

Just now, Yoe09 said:

I'm sure DCTF is impressed with Bellville, but I'm willing to bet their top 10 polls work a little different than all the other computer/power polls out there.  I would assume it has a human element attached to it and that is why you haven't seen Bellville jump as high.  The computer polls were impressed with Bellville.  When they destroyed both Navasota and Cameron the way they did, their stock went up quickly - now up to #2 in two polls and #5 in another.  Also #2 on Maxpreps.

Example

Bellville could beat La Marque by 7 this week.  That would be considered a disappointment for the computer polls and would actually hurt their stock in those rankings.  However, if Silsbee and Wimberley were to lose, Bellville would still jump them in the DCTF rankings. 

Brock is 0-4 and not anywhere to be found in DCTF top 10 rankings.  However, they just dropped out of the #1 slot to #2 in this week's computer rankings. 

I know they use these computer rankings for their preseason magazine rankings, but that is not the case during the regular season.  At the end of the day, there simply hasn't been enough movement from the teams ranked ahead of Bellville.  Records are more of a factor.  

There is more human element for sure....its not just about wins/losses but the teams ahead of Bellville have all won impressively in most cases....Cuero lost to a top 5 D1 team and a case could be made for Bellville there...but I personally believe Cuero would beat Bellville 

2 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

There is more human element for sure....its not just about wins/losses but the teams ahead of Bellville have all won impressively in most cases....Cuero lost to a top 5 D1 team and a case could be made for Bellville there...but I personally believe Cuero would beat Bellville 

Correct.  You're not going to punish Cuero and Pleasant Grove for just that one loss to extremely good competition.  I totally understand it and it makes sense. 

39 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

I have another question for Matt: 

What platform or means would you recommend for getting a request to the UIL? Someone needs to reach out to schools and unite their voice about broadcast rights.  

I'd like to see the playoff TV rights that are sold to Bally or whoever also remain with the individual school.  I know there are several schools that are streaming games on YT and other platforms. I know Gilmer,  Van,  Brownsboro, Lindale,  and countless others have their local guys doing the broadcast.  Last season for instance,  Van and Gilmer meet in the 3rd round and are not allowed to stream because NFHS wanted the game.  So,  the kids and families are forced to watch a broadcast either done by strangers or with no audio at all instead of having the folks that have been there all season continue to do it.  I know these guys are not pros and they're Homer's, but I think most people prefer it that way.  They know these kids and coaches and the community in such a way that no other announcers can come close to the knowledge they have.  I never thought about it until a Dad of a player out in west Texas told me that they would travel to the games and then come home and in the wee hours of Saturday morning sit on the couch eating whataburger and listen to their local guys to see what they said during the game.  He said all the kids loved their guys because they knew them and gave some nicknames and knew what positions their Dads played,  etc....

I'm wondering the best way to get all these schools together in one voice to let the UIL know their desires.  I can't imagine any schools would not want to retain their rights. 

I understand it might cost the UIL some money because those companies wouldn't pay as much with competition for the games.  But,  it feels like they are pimping kids for money anyway.    

***exception would be championship games.  Those guys do great work

Much like how the NCAA owns rights to the March Madness Basketball tournament, and the conferences own rights to regular season games....UIL allows schools to only own rights to regular season games in all sports...I dont forsee that ever changing...but here is the UIL Contact Info

https://www.uiltexas.org/contact

• Like 1

Hey.. stop complaining about pre district rankings.. if ya win and go deep in the playoffs then you'll see your rankings go up. Who cares if you're ranked a week before district. This is high school. If you lose 2 key players then you'll be pulling out them basketballs before long buddy. 

5 minutes ago, TrumpisDump said:

Hey.. stop complaining about pre district rankings.. if ya win and go deep in the playoffs then you'll see your rankings go up. Who cares if you're ranked a week before district. This is high school. If you lose 2 key players then you'll be pulling out them basketballs before long buddy. 

I’m not from Bellville & you’re name isn’t Matt Stepp so not interested in your opinion. 

the point was why lose you’re mind and gush about a team every week then have them ranked #8.  

I understand computer polls. Vs. Human polls. Typical arrogant lib talks down to everyone. SMH

• LOL! 1

1 minute ago, LetsGoEagles said:

I’m not from Bellville & you’re name isn’t Matt Stepp so not interested in your opinion. 

the point was why lose you’re mind and gush about a team every week then have them ranked #8.  

I understand computer polls. Vs. Human polls. Typical arrogant lib talks down to everyone. SMH

Geez somebody is a little puffy this morning... well whoever your team is just tell them to win by 50 and it won't be a problem. If you've watch Last Chance U on Netflix, it's called the Buddy Stephens Rule. 

2 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Much like how the NCAA owns rights to the March Madness Basketball tournament, and the conferences own rights to regular season games....UIL allows schools to only own rights to regular season games in all sports...I dont forsee that ever changing...but here is the UIL Contact Info

https://www.uiltexas.org/contact

Understood,  but it still isn't right and it's still adults pimping kids for money.  I'm hoping enough folks get tired of it to force a change.  I hate it for the kids that their last game of the season is a lesser quality broadcast than the rest of the year.  

2 hours ago, LetsGoEagles said:

Guess I missed something? When politics get in this? I'm guessing his site name drew you to that conclusion.... SMH

Edited by BoyzNdaHood
  • LOL! 1
  • SMH 1

1 hour ago, trashyhound said:

Understood,  but it still isn't right and it's still adults pimping kids for money.  I'm hoping enough folks get tired of it to force a change.  I hate it for the kids that their last game of the season is a lesser quality broadcast than the rest of the year.  

Here's the issue, currently in the regular season both schools have to agree to a broadcast and many schools don't want games broadcast because they feel it hurts the gate...so you play a school like that in the playoffs and now your playoff game isn't broadcast because School B doesn't want the game shown etc.  

Or what if BOTH School want to broadcast but a site can only accommodate one school...thats not super fair in a playoff game either..

On the surface it sounds better to give the schools playoff rights but I think it opens up a whole new set of problems because schools in the end look out for the interests of their own students and community and when you have two different schools and communities and no one is in charge...that usually results in conflict 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

Here's the issue, currently in the regular season both schools have to agree to a broadcast and many schools don't want games broadcast because they feel it hurts the gate...so you play a school like that in the playoffs and now your playoff game isn't broadcast because School B doesn't want the game shown etc.  

Or what if BOTH School want to broadcast but a site can only accommodate one school...thats not super fair in a playoff game either..

On the surface it sounds better to give the schools playoff rights but I think it opens up a whole new set of problems because schools in the end look out for the interests of their own students and community and when you have two different schools and communities and no one is in charge...that usually results in conflict 

I agree to an extent.  But that's not what happens currently as i understand it.  Schools can apply for a waiver in the playoffs and broadcast regardless of the other school if approved by the UIL. The UIL approves those request as long as one of the pay sites they've contracted with doesn't carry the game. ( Usually rounds 1&2) I can't see the problem in offering kids and their families more opportunities to watch their lives ones play.  Heck,  I've watched teams all around the state since they've allowed schools to broadcast. 

First come first serve and the other broadcasts from the bleachers

I also don't have a problem as long as both schools are afforded the same opportunity to broadcast the game. (Which they are currently given) If one wants to broadcast and the other not,  so be it, it's both of their choices. 

Imagine this scenario for all games:

1. Buy a QR code ticket 

2. Use the scan to either go to the stadium or watch online. 

Let the local guys broadcast through a professional streaming company. Everyone buys a ticket, everyone gets their cut, everybody happy, happy, happy. Yeah, I know it would require common sense, compromise and cooperation. Sounded good though.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Vandalman said:

1. Buy a QR code ticket 

Let the local guys broadcast through a professional streaming company. Everyone buys a ticket, everyone gets their cut, everybody happy, happy, happy. Yeah, I know it would require common sense, compromise and cooperation. Sounded good though.

UIL could make their own app/website like NFHS. Require all schools that broadcast to broadcast through their site. 

• Like 2

Just a side note about NFHS...if you subscribe for the season be careful when you unsubscribe...the only way you can do it is "electronically "...I did this and they continued to charge my card for 4 months!! There is NO way to contact this "company" except through e-mails and they obviously put e-mails concerning mistaken charging people in the garbage. I noticed NFHS advertising on FB and so I put this same "warning" to people that were thinking about subscribing and low and behold I finally got an answer the same day!! I explained my situation and of course they denied that i sent in the proper  "electronic notice" that I wanted to discontinue the service...they finally stopped billing me and agreed to reimburse me for ONE month which I have been waiting on now for 3 months and I doubt seriously that I will ever see it!!  My warning to anyone that subscribes...take a screen shot of the form you send in to stop the charges...if you have any problems there is absolutely no way to call them or talk to an actual human being...terrible customer service as well as terrible job of broadcastingon most of the games I tried to watch. Usually one camera fixed on one view. Another typical screw up by the UIL. 

4 hours ago, Vandalman said:

1. Buy a QR code ticket 

Common sense? Have you ever dealt with the UIL? There is no place for common sense with the UIL. 

Just kidding,  I love all of those ideas,  but I'll still say that the decision making power should stay with the schools 1st, all other stakeholders 2nd.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blesseddaily said:

Just a side note about NFHS...if you subscribe for the season be careful when you unsubscribe...the only way you can do it is "electronically "...I did this and they continued to charge my card for 4 months!! There is NO way to contact this "company" except through e-mails and they obviously put e-mails concerning mistaken charging people in the garbage. I noticed NFHS advertising on FB and so I put this same "warning" to people that were thinking about subscribing and low and behold I finally got an answer the same day!! I explained my situation and of course they denied that i sent in the proper  "electronic notice" that I wanted to discontinue the service...they finally stopped billing me and agreed to reimburse me for ONE month which I have been waiting on now for 3 months and I doubt seriously that I will ever see it!!  My warning to anyone that subscribes...take a screen shot of the form you send in to stop the charges...if you have any problems there is absolutely no way to call them or talk to an actual human being...terrible customer service as well as terrible job of broadcastingon most of the games I tried to watch. Usually one camera fixed on one view. Another typical screw up by the UIL. 

Same had happened to me 2 years running.  It's funny,  they get your request to join and payment processed within seconds,  but the request to cancel gets lost in the digital mail. Ironic

• Like 1