WEEK 6: Marshall (3-2), (1-0) Vs. Hallsville (3-2), (0-1)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Hallsville  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Hallsville in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Hallsville in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

newlogo2019.png Vs. hallsvillelogo.png

Marshall and Hallsville are separated by only 15 miles, but the programs have been light years apart most of their 22 year history.  But this year's version of the Battle of Harrison County is the biggest game the two have played in several years. 

Marshall (3-2, 1-0) is coming off of a district opening 36-7 win over Pine Tree while Hallsville (3-2, 0-1) fell to Texas High 56-31.

The Mavericks are looking to keep pace with Texas High and Nacogdoches, who also won their district openers.... while Hallsville wants to assert themselves as a contender as well.

The Bobcats come in with an offense that been lighting up the scoreboard all season averaging 35.6 PPG.  They will be facing a Marshall defense that has held opponents under 200 yards a game three times in five games.  The Mavs are giving up 26.6 PPG overall (14.3 PPG against teams not named Longview or Carthage).

Hallsville's defense has had their struggles; giving up an average of 38.6 PPG and they will be looking to slow down a Marshall offense that averaged over 300 yards rushing in their three wins.  The Mavs are averaging 26.2 PPG (40.6 PPG against teams not named Longview or Carthage).

Hallsville
Beat Terrell 44-41
Beat Henderson 49-35
Beat Sulphur Springs 34-21
Lost to Kilgore 40-20
Lost to Texas High 56-31

Marshall
Beat Tyler 40-29
Lost to Longview 48-11
Beat Henderson 44-7
Lost to Carthage 42-0
Beat Pine Tree 36-7

Marshall leads the series over Hallsville (17-5).  The Mavs have won the last 7 meetings dating back to 2015.

Biggest Hallsville Victory:  2003 Bobcats won 40-9
Biggest Marshall Victory:  2017 Mavericks won 58-14

---------

I'll get all the stats and info posted in the next day or two.

GO MAVS GO!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mavs D will be key to this game. If we can get a few stops and turnovers I think the offense should put up enough points to pull out the win. I'm sure Hallsville will be pumped up for this game, so mavs will need to match their intensity. 

If Hallsville can get a few early turnovers like Carthage did, they have the offense to make this a tight game. 

I'm thinking something like

Mavs 42

Bobcats 28

IMHO….. we need to keep playing good defense….BUT….our best defense will be our offense holding the ball for long sustained drives that end in scores. 

Keep the Bobcat offense on the sidelines as much as possible. 

In spite of how Marshall has dominated this series…. Hallsville is always loaded with athletes all over the field.  They are always physical.  They play hard no matter if they are winning or if they are down by 21.  

Not to mention that H-town homecooking they offer up visiting teams 😂😂

Expecting a hard fought game. No gimmes this season.  

Marshall 3-2 record | Wins 3 games against 1-15 record opponents.

Marshall 2 losses:

Carthage - district champs

Longview - district champs

Hallsville 3-2 record | Wins 3 games against 5-15 record opponents.

Hallsville 2 losses:

Kilgore - district champs

Texas High - district champs

My early prediction 1-3 seeds hasn’t changed I have 1. T High 2. Hallsville 3. Marshall the rest will battle it out. It’s still early but my prediction is that this game is for the second seed and I’ll take the Bobcats!

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

In spite of how Marshall has dominated this series…. Hallsville is always loaded with athletes all over the field.  They are always physical.  They play hard no matter if they are winning or if they are down by 21.  

Not to mention that H-town homecooking they offer up visiting teams 😂😂

Expecting a hard fought game. No gimmes this season.  

Hallsville has a really fast QB. If the Mavs can bottle him up they'll be fine.

3 hours ago, OnTheClock said:

Marshall 3-2 record | Wins 3 games against 1-15 record opponents.

Marshall 2 losses:

Carthage - district champs

Longview - district champs

Hallsville 3-2 record | Wins 3 games against 5-15 record opponents.

Hallsville 2 losses:

Kilgore - district champs

Texas High - district champs

My early prediction 1-3 seeds hasn’t changed I have 1. T High 2. Hallsville 3. Marshall the rest will battle it out. It’s still early but my prediction is that this game is for the second seed and I’ll take the Bobcats!

With Whitehouse losing to Nac, I can definitely see this game being for the 2 seed AND home playoff game. Big County Rivalry game with major implications again finally. 

Marshall's front 7 will need to put a few early licks on the Hallsville Qb. Can't let him continually find lanes and open wrs.

I haven't seen Marshall's new offense so I'm flying blind here.  I'll say Marshall but this game could go either way IMO.  Texas High did not really move the ball as easily on the ground as I expected.  Hallsville's pass defense was pretty bad but that doesn't seem to be a major cause of concern in this game.  The Bobcats have a nice QB and that Garza kid is a beast.  
Very hard game to predict. It think a lot will depend on who can get ahead.  I won't be surprised either way here. Marshall has the kind of offense you can't really prepare for so every team that plays them better take them seriously

Marshall won 2 of 3 from Hallsville tonight in Sub varsity action.

Junior Varsity won over 28-0 to improve to (3-2) (2-0)on the season.  They are one play at the final buzzer from being (4-1).  Three straight wins over Carthage, Pine Tree, and Hallsville.

9th A team lost Hallsville 13-6.  Team has really struggled since losing their RB1.   They are (2-4) (1-1).

9th B team won 16-6.  They are (3-2).... (2-0) includes a win over the Sabine JV.

Big game tomorrow for the varsity.  Time to take care of business!