WEEK 6: Marshall (3-2), (1-0) Vs. Hallsville (3-2), (0-1)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Hallsville  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Hallsville in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Hallsville in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

They still haven’t played a great team. 

They barely beat a mediocre Marshall team with a TD with less than a min to go in the game. 

Both teams are likely to lose multiple distinct games with the terrible defenses. 

congrats to the Bobcats.  Awesome offense. No doubt. 

• Roll Eyes 1

I reluctantly picked Marshall early but said this would be a 50:50 game and could easily go either way.  Hallsville is one of those teams that seem to run only a few plays but you can't get them stopped........and after the game you are scratching your head wondering why.

Congrats to Hallsville.  I know how big beating Marshall is to them.  Was rooting for Marshall but that is because I follow them more closely.   This one will sting for awhile for the Mavs

22 minutes ago, bordertown said:

But can we agree Texas High is an above average team.😎

Most definitely. I was just making a reference to a comment made a few weeks ago that came across as a little arrogant and struck a nerve. I’ve been trying to tell people for a while I thought this was going to happen and was scoffed at. This wasn’t an upset to me. 

If someone had told me that Marshall would out gain Hallsville in total yards and totaled over 500 yards of offense.....with no turnovers..... and scored 37 points.... 100% would have thought the Mavs had won.

Sounds like a typical Marshall win over Hallsville...... except it's not. 

Nothing but congrats to the Bobcats.  They did what they had to do to win.

Pros and Cons of this game for the Mavs going forward.....

PRO:  Mavs NEVER gave up.  Down 17-3 in the third quarter we could have laid down.  But the guys Battled back to take the lead several times in the second half.  The guys never stopped believing they could win.  You have to love that.  They made a game of it when a lot of teams would have given up.

CON:  Our struggles against the screen pass have been something I've harped on all season.  Tyler, Longview, Henderson, Pine Tree, Carthage all had success with the screen.  I remember saying "Hallsville will eat that up" in each game.  Haven't covered it yet.  

PRO:  We DO have a passing game.  Collier Slone made some big throws.  Im guessing he finished with over 200 yards.  We MUST continue to grow our passing game going forward.  Being one dimensional will makes you too easy to defend.  If our passing game comes to life....we will be tough to stop.

CON: Special teams were anything but special.  Missed a short FG.  Missed a PAT.  There's your four points.  But the knee down on the kickoff at the 3 yard-line was just.....UGH.  Totally gift-wrapped that score for Hallsville.

PRO:  No turnovers for the Mavs in the game.

CON:  So many wasted opportunities.  Three trips inside the Bobcat redzone in the first half....zero points.  Can't do that against a good offensive team.

PRO: Getting Gatson more involved in the offense is a good thing.  As a sophomore.... he's going to be special.

CON:  Ill-timed penalties.  Had a TD called back in the 2Q on a hold and that resulted in 0 points.  Guy didn't even need to hold and we would have scored.  Dumb penalty on our part.  The roughing the passer penalty was a killer.

PRO:  We had two huge interceptions in the game.  They were responsible for getting us back in the game.

CON:  I want to see the replay....because it was close.  But the fumble/not a fumble by Hallsville on the kickoff..... huge call.  It was sooo close.  Could have been called either way.  When you lose by 4... those little calls haunt you.

------------------

I predicted Marshall in a close one.

Game was exactly what I expected.....close...high scoring..... sloppy.  Typical Hallsville/Marshall.

Congrats to the Bobcats again.

Onward to MP.

GO MAVS GO

2 hours ago, country said:

Coach A. has a lot of work to do.

It did not get this way overnight and will not be fixed over night.

I have confidence with time and a few more good hires he can right the ship

He will get it fixed faster than expected.  Be patient Mav fans.  

4 hours ago, OnTheClock said:

image.png

Yet here you are too….not being quiet. 
First win in 7 years. 
Ive said congrats several times.

I was wrong about was who won. Was I suppose to pick Hallsville?  

I picked Marshall in a close one. Thought it would be a close high scoring game.  All of that was true except my pick. 

If you think Hallsville is special it just shows you how acclimated Hallsville is to NOT winning. 

Good teams don’t surrender almost 40 points every game. 

I saw two teams last night that will get drilled in the first round of the playoffs. 

And I say congrats AGAIN.  Hallsville played a good game. 

10 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Most definitely. I was just making a reference to a comment made a few weeks ago that came across as a little arrogant and struck a nerve. I’ve been trying to tell people for a while I thought this was going to happen and was scoffed at. This wasn’t an upset to me. 

After the Hallsville - THS game, I warned not to take Hallsville lightly going forward. It does appear they have stacked their talent on offense and have to out score their opponents. I agree with Mavchamp that you need a defense to advance in the playoffs.

• Like 1