Week Seven: Longview vs Forney

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (5-0) vs Forney Jackrabbits (4-1)  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Forney in a close one
    • Forney in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

longview.pngforney.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (5-0) VS FORNEY JACKRABBITS (4-1)

DATE: Friday, October 7th
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
FORNEY BROADCAST: n/a
LONGVIEW LIVE STREAM: Longview Gameday
FORNEY LIVE STREAM: Sportsgram.net

longview.pngSERIES TIED 0-0-0 forney.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a district contest.
The two schools have never playoff a contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played at Longview.
The two schools have never played at Forney.
The two schools have never played at Lobo Stadium.
The two schools have never played on October 7th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES:
First Meeting.
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW:
The Longview Lobos knew they would be tested this season. It was just a matter by whom, and when. It came in the form of week five’s opponent, the Lancaster Tigers. Meeting for the third season in a row, but first in the regular season, the two teams have formed a healthy rivalry with the Lobos eliminating the Tigers in the playoffs the last two years. With a district title looming, the two schools didn’t disappoint in the battle. The Tigers controlled the first half, jumping out to a 13-7 lead and picking off Lobo senior quarterback twice, the first two interceptions Allen had thrown this season. In the second half, the Lobos showed why Lobo Stadium is such a hard place to come and win, with the Lobo defense shutting out Lancaster the rest of the way while Taylor Tatum added two touchdowns to lift Longview to a 21-13 victory. The win keeps Longview undefeated on the season at 5-0, but most importantly sitting 2-0 in district play. The win lifted John King to his 100th district victory as head coach of the Lobos in his 109th district contest. With a bye week behind us, the Forney Jackrabbits now stand in Longview’s way of fully claiming the district crown as the Jackrabbits sit as the only other district squad with an unblemished district record. Forney dominated West Mesquite in their district opener, 43-14, before dominating Lufkin, 41-21, at home. This is the second straight season for Forney to start district at 2-0, after having gone 1-13 in district contests in their previous two years. Forney’s 4-1 mark is its best start since starting 5-0 in 2015. Longview welcomes in Forney for the first time in its history to Lobo Stadium. After the win over Lancaster, the Lobos improved to 204-38-6 all-time at Lobo Stadium, dating back to it’s opening in 1976. The win over the Tigers was the 10th straight at home, and the 30th win out of the last 31 games there. Overall, the Lobos are 85-6 under John King at home. The Lobos also will be looking to clinch a winning record for the 22nd consecutive season, dating back to 2000. Overall, a win would give the Lobos their 81st winning season in 113 seasons of Lobo football.

WEEK FIVE RESULTS FOR 7-5A DIVISION I:
Lancaster 13 Longview 21
Lufkin 21 Forney 41
North Mesquite 30 West Mesquite 24
13 McKinney North 34

WEEK SEVEN 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
McKinney North at West Mesquite (Thursday)
Forney at Longview
Lancaster at Tyler
North Mesquite at Lufkin

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS:
1st. Longview (5-0, 2-0)
2nd. Forney (4-1, 2-0)
3rd. Lancaster (3-2, 1-1)
4th. McKinney North (4-1, 1-1)
5th. Tyler (1-4, 1-1)
6th. North Mesquite (2-3, 1-1)
7th. Lufkin (3-2, 0-2)
8th. West Mesquite (3-2, 0-2)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW
Last week - Humble Kingwood Park defeated La Porte, 34-13. Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill defeated Baytown Goose Creek Memorial, 35-6. New Caney Porter defeated Baytown Sterling, 40-14. Port Arthur Memorial defeated Crosby, 20-13. Baytown Lee was off.
This week - Baytown Goose Creek Memorial travels to Humble Kingwood Park. Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill travels to Baytown Lee. New Caney Porter travels to Crosby. Port Arthur Memorial travels to La Porte. Baytown Sterling is off.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 5-0 (2-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (202-44 in 19 seasons) (Playoffs: 45-17)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 761-355-52 (Playoffs: 74-44-1)
Playoff Appearances: 47
Last Playoff Appearance: 2021, Class 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - at McKinney Boyd - Win 36-10
09.02 - vs Marshall - Win 48-11
09.09 - at Tyler Legacy - Win 69-0
09.16 - at Lufkin - Win 56-7
09.23 - vs Lancaster - Win 21-13
10.07 - vs Forney
10.14 - at North Mesquite
10.21 - vs McKinney North
10.28 - at Tyler
11.04 - vs West Mesquite

FORNEY JACKRABBITS
Record: 4-1 (2-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: Jeff Fleener (11-5 in 2 seasons) (Playoffs: 0-1)
First Year of Football: 1910
All-Time Record: 614-401-24 (Playoffs: 38-30-1)
Playoff Appearances: 32
Last Playoff Appearance: 2021, 5A Division II Bi-District Round
State Championships (0): n/a
State Championship Appearances (1): 2000 (3A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - at Crandall - Loss 58-55
09.01 - at Frisco Memorial - Win 34-14
09.09 - vs Mesquite Poteet - Win 59-0
09.16 - at West Mesquite - Win 43-14
09.23 - vs Lufkin - Win 41-21
10.07 - at Longview
10.14 - at Lancaster
10.21 - vs North Mesquite
10.28 - at McKinney North
11.04 - vs Tyler

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: October 7th
In 1927, Longview and Centenary College battled to a 0-0 tie at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1932, Longview’s Custer hauled in a 12-yard reception for a touchdown in a 7-6 victory over Henderson at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1938, Hardy Miller’s 24-yard touchdown marked the only Lobo score of the night in a 26-6 Highland Park victory over the Lobos at Highlander Stadium.
In 1949, John Linney’s 4th quarter touchdown following a three yard Sonny Jones touchdown helped Longview to a 13-6 victory over Texas High at Grim Park.
In 1955, Tony Rothrock and George Stone each tallied twice for the Lobos in a 39-6 victory over Weatherford at Lobo Stadium. Five lost fumbles plagued the Kangaroos on the day.
In 1960, John Covington’s 25-yard marker followed by the ensuing two point conversion lifted West Monroe to an 8-6 win over Longview at Lobo Stadium. Willard Wright tallied the lone Lobo score for the day.
In 1966, Jim Crosland rushed for two touchdowns to lift Highland Park to a 33-14 victory over Longview at Highlander Stadium. Steve Judy and Rodney Hill rushed for scores for the Lobos.
In 1983, Joe Johnson rushed for two scores while Marlin Myers and O’Neal Jackson added one of their own in a 25-14 Longview win over Nacogdoches at Lobo Stadium.
In 1988, Earnest Hunter tallied three scores on top of Shawn Lawson rushed in from two out as Longview rolled over Nacogdoches, 32-13, at Dragon Stadium. The Lobos rushed for 342 yards on the day.
In 1994, Cory Hutchins rushed in from 27-yards out in a 7-7 deadlock with Lufkin at Lobo Stadium. Longview rushed for 267 yards on the day but penalties and fumbles plagued the Lobos on a rainy night.
In 2011, 7 different Lobos tallied touchdowns as the Lobos rolled over Mesquite’s Skeeters 54-21 at E.H. Handy Stadium. Longview totaled up 524 yards on the day while holding the Skeeters to 21 rushing yards.

lobohowl2.GIF
Edited by LoboFan07
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

A week off to lick our wounds, regroup, and get back on track. Lancaster exposed some things. It's good to catch vulnerabilities early. So let's LOBO UP and get the momentum going. 

I don't think they exposed...they opened up a old wound

• Like 1

Thoughts I posted on the other board. 

Forney seems to be a pretty solid and disciplined team.  They have a good scheme and size with speed at most of the skill positions. One thing we don't seem in most spread teams is the TE.  They use it pretty well in their offense. The short and intermediate passing game is solid. QB play is pretty sound, no a world beater but solid HS QB. Reminds me a lot of those decent Rockwall and Mesquite Horn teams we saw back in district several years ago. It is clear that Longview will be more athletic and talented.

This is the right kind of team that can be irritating and dangerous if we don't put them away early.  Their coach is familiar with East Texas football and knows what we bring.  We should win soundly but wouldn't be surprised for a closer than should be game if we come out flat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/24/2022 at 12:14 PM, gtee2 said:

I don't think they exposed...they opened up a old wound

It looked to me like the QB didn't play with the same confidence that he has shown earlier in the year.  Consequently, I think the coaches sensed that and decided to ride the running game.  I think there will come a point in time in the playoffs when the Lobos won't be able to be 1 dimensional and the QB play will make or break them.

Just my observation and opinion.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2022 at 2:14 PM, JohnnyFootball said:

This team seems physical and kinda dangerous. Sounded like they really got after Lufkin. 

Lufkin had their chances. If their QB could throw better, it would have been a better game early on.  But I do agree that they are dangerous...They mix it up really well and kept Lufkin off balance.  They had enough athletes to handle Lufkin.

On 9/27/2022 at 2:14 PM, JohnnyFootball said:

This team seems physical and kinda dangerous. Sounded like they really got after Lufkin. 

They weren’t that physical to me on offense. But they mixed it up well. We honestly just didn’t play well on either side of the ball. We had too many turnovers and didn’t have an offense that could make them pay imo. Y’all won’t have the same problems that we did playing them. Again…just my opinion.