Carthage versus Brownsboro

cowboyandchrist

25 minutes ago, michaelmyers said:

I feel like Marshall would beat Rusk ,Center,& Van pretty bad. 

IMO—Rusk and Center would move the ball pretty easily between the 20s against Marshall, if they could complete drives, both would score 30+ on Marshall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

He was, but I don’t think that would’ve made any difference. 

I am sad our defensive backs didn’t make a play on either ball last night.

I know especially on the first BB TD pass our corner watched the entire duration of the ball’s flight coming right at him and he didn’t even raise his arms.  I have no idea what that was about, because I thought he was in the perfect position to intercept the ball and in the very least knock it away……seemed very odd.

Plus our D line were standing up and not rushing the QB. It was weird, both the CB’S and D line just watched the play unfold. The last 2 and 1/2 minutes of the second quarter was just a head scratcher. 

On 10/1/2022 at 7:36 AM, cowboyandchrist said:

There are many really good 4A teams 

in both DI and DII, the top teams in both could play with many teams in 5A. 
They statement powderpuff schedule is just wrong. Kilgore, Marshall, and Cornerstone are good football teams. 

C'mon, these are average teams.  Carthage does not schedule top tier teams in non-district.  Teams like Argyle played 4 top ten teams in non-district and deserve their ranking.  I don't know if Carthage has a good team or not because they haven't played anyone.  They have an excellent history and may do well this year but I'm not impressed so far.

• Wow 1
  • Stinks 1

Carthage has a very hard time getting teams to play.  Lot of couch potatoes on this site that have sour grapes, are jealous, or are just sore heads that just shoot their mouth off without knowing the facts.  Argyle has a long way to go before they can possibly catch up to Carthage.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Roll Eyes 1

1 hour ago, SDCAVEMAN said:

C'mon, these are average teams.  Carthage does not schedule top tier teams in non-district.  Teams like Argyle played 4 top ten teams in non-district and deserve their ranking.  I don't know if Carthage has a good team or not because they haven't played anyone.  They have an excellent history and may do well this year but I'm not impressed so far.

At the time they were scheduled (and even afterward until Carthage beat them convincingly), Kilgore was ranked in the state’s Top 10 in Class 4A’s larger division.

Marshall has an amazing record for number of recent playoff appearances in Class 5A. And who knew at the time they were scheduled that they wouldn’t be as strong this year as expected?

In order to have 10 games on the regular-season schedule this year -for the first time in several years- Carthage had to schedule a team from San Antonio.

Everyone is looking forward to see what happens in a couple of months when Gilmer and/or Pleasant Grove are the opponents. Both of them have been scheduled in non-district in recent years and would have been again this year if they weren’t now in the same region and looming in the regional playoffs.

Edited by BevBrownJr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SDCAVEMAN said:

Carthage has a hard time getting teams to play them in non district. 
You might want to know a little about Carthage before you post. 

21 hours ago, SDCAVEMAN said:

Kilgore is good every year and always seems to go 3-4 rounds deep in the 4A Div 1 playoffs. And past two seasons have lost to Lindale the eventual state runner up and Chapel Hill who was only a few plays short of playing for the championship. Kilgore is good again this year to no surprise. They started 0-2 but that was against perennial 4A powers Carthage (you can hate us all you want but year in and year out the odds of Carthage winning the title are greater than they are of not winning it, sorry Argyle hasn’t enjoyed quite the same sustained success, but that’s ok. Not many have) and Gilmer who if not for Carthage over the years would most likely have another 2 or 3 championships. After the 0-2 start Kilgore has won 4 straight, out scoring their opponents with a combined score of 148-41. Kilgore losing to Carthage and Gilmer doesn’t say anything bad about Kilgore. 

I don’t think you can say whether Marshall is good or not yet this year. 3-3 with losses to Longview and Carthage which are expected (again, I know you are a hater and don’t want to hear it but it’s true).  The third loss came in a very close game with Hallsville who is 4-2 with two losses coming to good teams in Kilgore and Texas High. Hallsville is looking pretty solid. Marshall is usually a good bet to make the playoffs in 5A and sometimes may go 3 rounds deep and lose a close one. 

I think we all probably wanted more out of cornerstone. They have had some good seasons over the last few, as a private school. But Carthage has had trouble getting other quality opponents to come play. Pretty bad when you gotta play a private school to fill up your schedule.

Last year Carthage played and beat Crosby (5A who went on to lose in state semifinals to Liberty Hill and season before that lost in state champ game to Aledo), Gilmer (lost in SC game), and Pleasant Grove (perennial contender). 

2020 they played Kilgore, Gilmer and PG. Didnt get to play full non district schedule because of Covid and the schedules getting all fudged up. 

You go back further and will find that Carthage has always played tough competition non district (some years it’s easier than others to make the schedule, for instance this year Gilmer and PG are in same region so doesn’t make sense for the non district schedule) and it has resulted in 8 State Championships. In summary, take your Argyle BS and shove it. 

Edited by mikehoncho
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SDCAVEMAN said:

Carthage is actually known for scheduling tough pre district games.

We do appreciate you saying our program has an excellent history and for saying we may do well this year. 

• Like 1

It's true what yall are saying but I never understood that mentality from coaches. You have to play the best to be the best, so why wouldn't you want to. We'll play Carthage in district but if we didn't I'd like to see it scheduled for pre-district.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, SDCAVEMAN said:

You don’t know Jack! You just spoutin off some bologna like a true hater. Carthage has never shied away from a tough pre-district game under Surratt. They have teams turn them down. Played an 8 game schedule a couple years ago even with a team from San Antonio coming to town. Who do you want them to schedule? Gilmer and PG won’t play them because they are in the same region. Henderson won’t play em. Most 5A schools see it as a lose/lose. You think they should travel to the metroplex for non-district games?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

You sure about that Clark?

With this Dawg defense, yes. 
Argyle would beat the teams the Dawgs have played without a doubt, but holding them to minus yards and no points ( until a brain fort in 2 and 1/2 minutes of the second quarter this past Friday night) Argyle could not. 
The Dawgs would score and often, Argyle would score but the Dawg D would limit those scores. 
Again, this is my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

100%.

Ok.  I will chalk this post up to you being riled up by the closet Eagles fan (who probably isn’t). As with most years, 2022 Argyle vs Carthage would be a great matchup.  No reason to go overboard and say the Eagles don’t want any.  They went up a division and are still #1.  They got plenty.

17 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Ok.  I will chalk this post up to you being riled up by the closet Eagles fan (who probably isn’t). As with most years, 2022 Argyle vs Carthage would be a great matchup.  No reason to go overboard and say the Eagles don’t want any.  They went up a division and are still #1.  They got plenty.

Them going up a division and being undefeated is good on them and they’ve done what they’re supposed to, won; that doesn’t mean they would do the same with Carthage.

28 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I’m not riled, I respect Argyle’s program, I probably should’ve been more reserved on the delivery. 
This is not the 2021 Bulldogs when Cuff wasn’t fully seeing the field, didn’t have a real grasp of the offense yet and was shuffling his feet on nearly every throw.

The OL was also young and underperforming hurting our rushing attack.

Those things have all improved exponentially.

Had we not gotten the leaping over the center call on China Spring’s failed FG attempt giving them a fresh set of downs, Carthage may have gone on to win that game even with as hamstrung as our offense was last year.

The defense seems not to have lost a step from last season.

We’ll see how it all shakes out.

I definitely didn’t mean any disrespect to Argyle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I agree that it’s a good, competitive game MOST years. I think a few years Carthage would have donkey stomped Argyle. Including 2020 when Argyle won their division. 

Hard to argue with Argyle’s season so far this year, they are winning against good competition which is what you hope to see from a program like that regardless of what division they are in.

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I’m not riled, I respect Argyle’s program, I probably should’ve been more reserved on the delivery. 
This is not the 2021 Bulldogs when Cuff wasn’t fully seeing the field, didn’t have a real grasp of the offense yet and was shuffling his feet on nearly every throw.

The OL was also young and underperforming hurting our rushing attack.

Those things have all improved exponentially.

Had we not gotten the leaping over the center call on China Spring’s failed FG attempt giving them a fresh set of downs, Carthage may have gone on to win that game even with as hamstrung as our offense was last year.

The defense seems not to have lost a step from last season.

We’ll see how it all shakes out.

I definitely didn’t mean any disrespect to Argyle.

I am well aware of what Carthage had in 2021 and also what they got this year.  It’s ok to admit that China Spring was the better team last year.  Carthage looks the part this year, as does Argyle.  Hopefully both can run the table.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

When has Argyle not been ranked #1. In years past they would start #1 and get tripped up along the way. I don't see this year being any different

Edited by bossman1

2 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I am well aware of what Carthage had in 2021 and also what they got this year.  It’s ok to admit that China Spring was the better team last year.  Carthage looks the part this year, as does Argyle.  Hopefully both can run the table.

You’re correct, CS won fair and square, we lost and the better team won.

I said all of those things in congratulating the China Spring faithful after the game last year.

Thank you, we like having you as a Dawg supporter!

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 11:48 AM, house said:

Carthage has a very hard time getting teams to play.  Lot of couch potatoes on this site that have sour grapes, are jealous, or are just sore heads that just shoot their mouth off without knowing the facts.  Argyle has a long way to go before they can possibly catch up to Carthage.  

Nac has played Carthage on more then one occasion during the state championship runs.

• Like 1