Hurricane Ian

EnjoyLife

51 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Maybe. But what are they gonna loot if your stuff is damaged? A broken TV isn't worth much to a looter, I would imagine.

Looters was my answer to why those people stay.....my own reasoning is different.....I personally don't need some government flunky telling me when I have to leave my home.....I'll make that decision on my own......and so far I've never seen the need for evacuating.......

2 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Looters was my answer to why those people stay.....my own reasoning is different.....I personally don't need some government flunky telling me when I have to leave my home.....I'll make that decision on my own......and so far I've never seen the need for evacuating.......

But again, why worry about looters? They're probably gonna have to replace stuff anyway. Wind and water damage, and whatnot.

12 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

So...if it turned out you made the wrong decision...and water was neck deep in your home...would you call for help?

2 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

So...if it turned out you made the wrong decision...and water was neck deep in your home...would you call for help?

You can't call for help, because help can't get to you.  You're stuck even if it's waist deep.  When Harvey hit my side of Houston it was just a sprinkle almost the entire time, but it never stopped to drain off.  The Sunday morning that it was raining I tried to leave my house to go to work.  I got up to the second street above mine and the water was waist deep. I turned around, because I lost my 87 Camaro in a rainstorm crossing a bridge where the water wasn't even above my headlights, and my car stalled.  The water rose up to the windows so I rolled them  down and got out.  They don't have enough boats to rescue everyone.  The Cajun Navy didn't even get down there until today.  

I knew a woman that lived in the Memorial area of Houston.  She called for rescue on Saturday night when water began coming into her condo.  She was my old buddy's sister.  He had a truck and couldn't reach her and emergency responders had more calls.  She was in her 80's, but kept calling every 2 hours.  The found her on Thursday after the water receded, but the water reached the roof of her condo.  Never in the past had they released the water from the resevoirs in her area and she had been living there since 1972.  She didn't have a car, and had no way to leave.  If you stay with flooding you can only get to higher ground.  Luckily for me, I only had about 2 inches of water in my kitchen which is on the first floor.  

I hate this for their area, but I would think that they are more use to Hurricanes than even people in Texas.  They get hit almost once every year if not more by a hurricane.  I wish that the people would get the help they need, but I wouldn't donate to the Red Cross.  They hardly helped anyone get anything down here except a few.  Mattress Mac did more for people from what I saw than the Red Cross.  

3 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

If water ever reaches the end of my yard, everyone south of Colmesneil is in deep crap......I live on a nice hill.....lol