#8 Winnsboro (6-0) vs. #2 Mt Vernon (6-0) 10/7

chevyman

Winnsboro @ Mt. Vernon   

60 members have voted

1. 1. Battle of top 10s

This poll is closed to new votes

#2 Tigers come to town sporting a 6-0 record while the #8 Raiders are also sporting a 6-0 record. Can’t remember when or if this matchup has ever featured two ranked teams much less two top 10 ranked teams. Going to be an absolute dogfight. Going to have to get there early to catch this one. Should be a top game across the whole state

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

Winny

We will see!!  I think MV, regardless of rank, is going in as the underdog in this one and probably rightfully so just based on their misfortunes. Having said that, I think it's in MV favor to go in as the underdog.  With all due respect, that's kind of what happened in the Koff game a couple years ago, and we know how that turned out! Lol

4 hours ago, MVFAN1 said:

We will see!!  I think MV, regardless of rank, is going in as the underdog in this one and probably rightfully so just based on their misfortunes. Having said that, I think it's in MV favor to go in as the underdog.  With all due respect, that's kind of what happened in the Koff game a couple years ago, and we know how that turned out! Lol

I will have more thoughts in a couple of days but my initial gut feelings are exactly what you said. No doubt you guys will be pitted as the “underdog” but i think that would only be by foolish people. Yall are the back to back Region 2 champs, current #2 team in the state, possess some of the best players in all of 3A. We are just scratching the surface of our capabilities and in some people’s eyes we are unproven. Well next week we find out what we’re made of. 

Guest Tiger03lb
6 hours ago, MVFAN1 said:

Nah, on the game like koff. I think people will/may go with MV still.

Winny does have a offense that can put up points in any game but there defense have been lacking. MV may have any enough to stop Winny on defense but MV's weakness is their secondary. MV can still score despite the qb situation. I think Winny can make a few more stops and score from them. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a shoot out either. It's hard not to go with a Finny team, honestly, especially when he has a good offense. 

This game will be decided on turnsovers and who's defense will show up. 

This will be Winny's biggest test, actually probably for both teams so far this season. 

As far as the koff game a few years ago. We went into cruise mode in the 3rd and made a costly turnover driving it into the redzone. That was the turning point of that game and not giving it to Langley #10 more in the 2nd half/or the game period. He was getting 8/10 a carry when he got the ball each time. I think everyone was wondering what was going on there cause Duce was playing injured with a sprain and you could tell he was favoring it. But you guys came back and that was that.  

I will say district 5 is wide open for 1-3 spots. After seeing Potts in person last night. Gotta include them into the mix now. 

Guest Tiger03lb
5 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Please tell me MV has a live stream?  Or maybe NFHS will pick this one up?  Winnsboro doesn’t have enough seats for all that will want to watch.

Go to their Facebook page and they go live stream

1 hour ago, Tiger03lb said:

Go to their Facebook page and they go live stream

Thanks.  No disrespect to the MV play by play guys, but the Winnsboro radio guys are some of the best in East TX.  Would love to get the video through NFHS with David, Darren & Duncan calling the game.  Somebody make that happen!

Guest Tiger03lb
24 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Thanks.  No disrespect to the MV play by play guys, but the Winnsboro radio guys are some of the best in East TX.  Would love to get the video through NFHS with David, Darren & Duncan calling the game.  Somebody make that happen!

I think everyone would be in agreement there. 

4 hours ago, Tiger03lb said:

Nah, on the game like koff. I think people will/may go with MV still.

Winny does have a offense that can put up points in any game but there defense have been lacking. MV may have any enough to stop Winny on defense but MV's weakness is their secondary. MV can still score despite the qb situation. I think Winny can make a few more stops and score from them. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a shoot out either. It's hard not to go with a Finny team, honestly, especially when he has a good offense. 

This game will be decided on turnsovers and who's defense will show up. 

This will be Winny's biggest test, actually probably for both teams so far this season. 

As far as the koff game a few years ago. We went into cruise mode in the 3rd and made a costly turnover driving it into the redzone. That was the turning point of that game and not giving it to Langley #10 more in the 2nd half/or the game period. He was getting 8/10 a carry when he got the ball each time. I think everyone was wondering what was going on there cause Duce was playing injured with a sprain and you could tell he was favoring it. But you guys came back and that was that.  

I will say district 5 is wide open for 1-3 spots. After seeing Potts in person last night. Gotta include them into the mix now. 

I think you hit the nail on the head.  

17 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Oddly enough the combined record for both of these two opponents are 20-46. 

Gonna be interesting when they play a team that hits back. 

100%. Will no question be the best team either has played. Want to see how we respond.