Gilmer vs Pleasant Grove

gilmerstar

Gilmer vs. Pleasant Grove  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

6 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Right.  Perhaps 6 of their kids get onto a D1 team (questionable), but that doesn't mean they will be players on a D1 team.

So right!  Maybe 1 or 2 could sign after this year and MAYBE 1 or 2 the following year.   Jackson will be a prospect just like his brother was in 2 years due to his size alone.  

8 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Gilmer and Carthage are both glad Liberty Hill moved on up and they don't have to face that machine anymore.

Tell me again how many state championships LH has. 
LH had the opportunity to play Carthage in 2008, 09, 10, 13, 16, 17, 19, and 20. 
What happened, oh I know, they didn’t make the championship. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Gilmer and Carthage are both glad Liberty Hill moved on up and they don't have to face that machine anymore.

This thread was going along just fine and you had to come in and throw LH around.  What's that got to do with anything???  They are TWO classifications bigger than these schools!  I'm glad Longview isn't in 4AD2 also!  Same with Texas High!  And Aledo!  Denton Ryan!  Highland Park was in the same classification when I was in school.  Glad we don't have to play them either!

• LOL! 1

14 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

LH had the opportunity to play Carthage in 2008, 09, 10, 13, 16, 17, 19, and 20. 

Just for clarification, Liberty Hill was not in the same division with Carthage some of those years. 

15 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Listen, I LOVE watching LH play. They run that slot-T to perfection and it is fun to watch. BUT....... come on...... Carthage and Gilmer ain't scared... this is ETEX baby! 

18 hours ago, BuckNut said:

Especially since they have 1500 kids in their school.

Wrong.  The especially was since neither of them could hand the slot-t after talking so much trash and diminishing Liberty Hill's ability to compete with them.  Sure, LH has moved on up now, but when Carthage and Gilmer had their chance, neither could handle them.

17 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

A little snarkiness out of the cowboyandchrist?  Let's be intellectually honest and consider the two times Carthage did play Liberty Hill.  Most thought Carthage would wipe the field with them.  We all know what happened.

Edited by Everide2016

9 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

A little snarkiness out of the cowboyandchrist?  Let's be intellectually honest and consider the two times Carthage did play Liberty Hill.  Most thought Carthage would wipe the field with them.  We all know what happened.

MOST?  Who is most?  The first time they played was Surratt's first season as coach of Carthage.  If you think this school had any expectations of wiping the floor with someone at that level, you're crazy.  The second time, I would think many of the Carthage faithful expected a victory, but with the success Carthage has had, why wouldn't you?  Carthage had their chances to win that game.  There were many missed opportunities by the offense.

It's all good, pretty much every kid on that team got a ring the year before or the year after.

LH got one ring to show for the times they "handled" Carthage and Gilmer?

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

The first time they played was in Surratt’s first year here, so literally everyone’s first time in the offense and defense schemes/systems. The second time there was no “handling”. There was a great game on the field and if you watched that game you know exactly how many opportunities were squandered by Carthage. But I acknowledge there are examples like that in every game for every team. 

LH is 2-0 against Carthage. And will probably never play one another again. So none of it matters. But I know everyone here is beyond happy with and proud of 8 titles. So it’s hard to complain about 2 little losses to a school who is now 2 classifications bigger. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You got that right, mikehoncho.  Who cares about LH?  They had their run in 4A, now they can see how it goes in 5A.  Apparently, 4A was pretty darn good to have so many former 4A teams in the 5A rankings now.

I would take Carthage's hardware any day over what LH has accomplished.  Count them..., 8 titles in 8 tries under SS..., and more to come most likely.  Gilmer has had 7 tries themselves, but have only 3 titles so far.  I'm just waiting for Gilmer to get over that mental hump, Carthage.  It will happen eventually.  Don't know when, but it will happen.  I would also like to see them play better on the big stage like Carthage always does.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

You got that right, mikehoncho.  Who cares about LH?  They had their run in 4A, now they can see how it goes in 5A.  Apparently, 4A was pretty darn good to have so many former 4A teams in the 5A rankings now.

I would take Carthage's hardware any day over what LH has accomplished.  Count them..., 8 titles in 8 tries under SS..., and more to come most likely.  Gilmer has had 7 tries themselves, but have only 3 titles so far.  I'm just waiting for Gilmer to get over that mental hump, Carthage.  It will happen eventually.  Don't know when, but it will happen.  I would also like to see them play better on the big stage like Carthage always does.

It will happen at some point! Too much talent for it not to. Pardon me for being selfish, I still hope it’s a long time away. 😂 Just in the sense of Gilmer beating Carthage again. 

Were we in different classifications, I’d have no problem rooting for Gilmer to win it all most years! 👊🏻 Matter of fact I used to pull for Gilmer in the playoffs before Surratt came to Carthage(when we didn’t Make the playoffs or go far) and helped Carthage unlock the powerhouse within. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JBizzle said:

This thread was going along just fine and you had to come in and throw LH around.  What's that got to do with anything???  They are TWO classifications bigger than these schools!  I'm glad Longview isn't in 4AD2 also!  Same with Texas High!  And Aledo!  Denton Ryan!  Highland Park was in the same classification when I was in school.  Glad we don't have to play them either!

We don't want no trouble mister. Heard Carthage can ride a black tornado across a western sky. They can  rope an ole blue northern and milk it till its dry. Easily bulldog the Mississippi and pin it's ears down flat. We are just a high school team. 

Edited by AledoAlumni

11 hours ago, AledoAlumni said:

We don't want no trouble mister. Heard Carthage can ride a black tornado across a western sky. They can  rope an ole blue northern and milk it till its dry. Easily bulldog the Mississippi and pin it's ears down flat. We are just a high school team. 

Hahaha!  Didn't know ol Chris was talkin about the Dawgs!

• Like 1

Pleasant Grove ain't no slouch of a team.  They still have some studs.  They are very good defensively.  The one weakness they have is their lack of an effective passing game.  Most of the time they haven't needed very much of a passing game, but it helps when you play the more elite teams.  If they can get that going they will give most opponents fits.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AledoAlumni said:

DANG!!!  They MUST be a pretty good team if they can do all that!