Texas A&M vs Alabama

6 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

And that's the key thing about it. If you are running it multiple times a week, do you still want the game in King's hands on the last play at the two yard line? Your "backup" QB?  It has to be perfect, but he threw it a little short and it caused the play to fail as a whole.

If A&M had 6 seconds left like they probably should have, I don't mind that call at all. I just don't know if I would choose that play and put the biggest game in King's hand when you have Achane in the backfield.

Achane is 185 pounds and A&M has struggled running the ball in short yardage situations a lot this season. I think even based on the alignment Bama was daring A&M to run achane. 

The playcall imo was fine. I mean there are more creative ones, but that’s a throw 90% of D1 QBs and receivers can execute.  He just didn’t. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Did you hear how they were playing coverage.  You run a drag or in route, it gives another option that would have likely been wide open with the LBs eying the RB and the DBs playing outside techniques 

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Did you hear how they were playing coverage.  You run a drag or in route, it gives another option that would have likely been wide open with the LBs eying the RB and the DBs playing outside techniques 

Saban does a pretty good job of breaking down plays, almost as good as Surratt.

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Mond said on twitter that he knows for a fact they rep that exact play dozens of times a week and that King likely threw it several times Thursday in their final practice. I think it was just a poor play by Haynes. Not that he wasn’t familiar with it I think he just didn’t execute it the way he should have. If the throw was on time that was 6. 

Can King even make that throw in live situations against a good defense. His release is so high and long the timing was horrible. I think Stewart was expecting the ball as he turned. If King throws on target, the ball is easily knocked away because it's so late. I think King needs to work with a coach this off-season on that form because it really hurts him at times. He might get a ball or two swatted down every once in a while, but the speed and accuracy has to be better. 

46 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Can King even make that throw in live situations against a good defense. His release is so high and long the timing was horrible. I think Stewart was expecting the ball as he turned. If King throws on target, the ball is easily knocked away because it's so late. I think King needs to work with a coach this off-season on that form because it really hurts him at times. He might get a ball or two swatted down every once in a while, but the speed and accuracy has to be better. 

He took way too long to throw the ball, it needed to be in the air as the receiver was making his break ....

I used to watch the high school QBs and receivers at Evagel Christian Academy run that play to perfection .... hard to believe a big school college team can't execute it better ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Achane is 185 pounds and A&M has struggled running the ball in short yardage situations a lot this season. I think even based on the alignment Bama was daring A&M to run achane. 

The playcall imo was fine. I mean there are more creative ones, but that’s a throw 90% of D1 QBs and receivers can execute.  He just didn’t. 

I feel you. Like I said, I don't hate the play itself. It was the right idea.

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

It sounds like Saban knew exactly what was coming. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

He just doesn't seem to be to get out of his own way at times. I'm sure the pressure from the BMD's is hard to get off his mind. I know I wouldn't want to be in his position.

He gets his contract paid out whether he’s coaching or not. I’d say he’s in a good position. He didn’t say anything incorrect in that press conference. A&M was without 9 players. Including the starting QB. You can try to add caveats all you want but the fact is, Max was the starter and would’ve started vs Bama had he not been hurt.  

Plus, that isn’t even the whole quote. 

Edited by JohnnyFootball
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

He gets his contract paid out whether he’s coaching or not. I’d say he’s in a good position. He didn’t say anything incorrect in that press conference. A&M was without 9 players. Including the starting QB. You can try to add caveats all you want but the fact is, Max was the starter and would’ve started vs Bama had he not been hurt.  

Plus, that isn’t even the whole quote. 

You would have gotten crushed if Max was the starter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

You would have gotten crushed if Max was the starter.

I tend to agree with this. Not because I think King is better, I just think he was better suited for this game. In a situation where the oline was just completely dominated most of the game I don’t think Max gets the ball out enough. I think he takes more sacks and less chances and A&M loses by likely 7-10 more points. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WETSU said:

I tend to agree with this. Not because I think King is better, I just think he was better suited for this game. In a situation where the oline was just completely dominated most of the game I don’t think Max gets the ball out enough. I think he takes more sacks and less chances and A&M loses by likely 7-10 more points. 

Max seemed to throw to the check down guy a lot more. So didn’t turn the ball over but he never threw the ball down the field. For better and worse, Haynes did that. Threw a costly interception but also threw several long passes that were caught. To beat a team like Bama, you have to take more chances. 

Haynes is definitely a different look from
Max. Dunno who is “better”.

Regardless, the tweet in question didn’t use the entire quote and didn’t mention it was Jimbos response to a stupid media question. 

• Like 1