StillALion

Athens @ Henderson   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Hornets
    • Lions

This poll is closed to new votes

RETIREDFAN1
This post was recognized by RETIREDFAN1!

StillALion was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

No one started a conversation for this game yet so here goes.  I think most Henderson people are a mixture of speechless from being in shock and following momma’s advice about what to do when you can’t say something nice.  Athens here’s yalls shot for the first time since Game 4 of the 2001 season (2 weeks after 9/11) to get a win.  

Game 6:

Athens (2-4; 0-2) at Henderson (0-5; 0-1)

36th meeting 

Henderson leads all-time 26 to 7 and there have been 2 ties.  

First meeting: 1934;

Athens 14 - Henderson 7

Last meeting: 2021; 

Henderson 58 - Athens 41

• Henderson has won 15 out of the last 16, including the last 6 in a row.  
  • Athens’ last win was by a score of 31-21 in 2001.  
  • Athens’ 14-7 win in the schools’ first ever meeting back in 1934 was the Lions’ only loss that season.  
  • The schools have met once in the playoffs … an opening round bi-district game in 1992 won by Henderson 40-14. 
  • Last year’s game was a shootout instead of a blowout mainly because of one man … Athens’ returning senior QB Ty Arroyo who had 434 yards of total offense (298 passing & 136 rushing), ran for 4 TDs, and passed for another. 

4AD1 rankings:

DCTF/AP:  

Athens - 67 (down 7)

Henderson - 69 (down 1)

MaxPreps:  

Athens - 42

Henderson - 56

CalPreps power ranking: 

Athens - 42

Henderson- 56

Predictions:

DCTF: Henderson by 2

CalPreps: Athens 35 - Henderson 34

Henderson has lost 10 games in a row overall (as well as the last 6 district games).  This qualifies as the second longest losing streak in school history after a 12 game losing streak during the 2007-08 seasons.    

This season Henderson is 0-5. The program has had 2 seasons (2006 & 2008) that ended with a record of 1-9.   Henderson has never had an 0-10 season in school history.  

Friday night will be Coach Othell Robinson’s 16th game as the Lions’ head coach.   He is 3-12 overall, 1-6 in district games, and 0-0 in playoff games at Henderson. 

Edited by StillALion
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Man, as much as I don't like our former rivals down 79, it's hard to see what's going on in Henderson right now.  I picked Athens, but hopefully this is a game where Henderson can get a win and some confidence.  I don't know what the issues are, but it's hard to believe that the talent isn't there to wind some games.

11 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Man, as much as I don't like our former rivals down 79, it's hard to see what's going on in Henderson right now.  I picked Athens, but hopefully this is a game where Henderson can get a win and some confidence.  I don't know what the issues are, but it's hard to believe that the talent isn't there to wind some games.

They DO have the talent. There are about a million other things holding them back. Talent is not the problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

They DO have the talent. There are about a million other things holding them back. Talent is not the problem.

I kinda figured that, but I don't know enough about the situation to throw any stones.  I guess I was really saying I don't understand how a coach doesn't go .500 there at least.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JBizzle said:

I kinda figured that, but I don't know enough about the situation to throw any stones.  I guess I was really saying I don't understand how a coach doesn't go .500 there at least.

It sucks for these seniors.  Compared to the 7 teams thar made at least the quarterfinals last decade (2010–19) the talent level is not quite what it was for the 1 state team and maybe not the 2 semifinalist teams, but it’s no different from the other 5.  The first 3 years of last decade Henderson played 14 playoff games, went 12-2, went to 3 quarterfinals, 2 semifinals, 1 championship game, and won 1 championship.  For the 10 seasons of the decade, played 29 playoff games and won 22 of them.  The first 3 seasons of this decade so far … 2 missed playoffs and 1 playoff appearance that consisted of 1 bi-district game loss. 

Edited by StillALion
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, StillALion said:

The first 3 years of last decade Henderson played 14 playoff games, went 12-2, went to 3 quarterfinals, 2 semifinals, 1 championship game, and won 1 championship.  For the 10 seasons of the decade, played 29 playoff games and won 22 of them.

Henderson is a long, long ways from that point now...and it looks like the program is getting even farther away week by week. The kids deserve better.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Bulldogs12 said:

Without the penalties, Henderson wins. But I’m guessing they find a way to beat themselves. Athens has a scrappy team with some talent. 

Penalties absolutely gave them ZERO chance of beating us. 8 personal fouls against us. EIGHT! I bet they had at least 8 false starts too. Total was 18 penalties for about 195 yards. It’s almost impossible to win with that. It was unreal. Never seen that before.  

Just now, mavfanpanamacity said:

I could see a new coach, but a clean sweep of the administration is usually a very very tough ask 

I believe your right. The problems in Henderson will more than likely take years to fix. While I was in school there, it was pretty much a given, we’d be in the playoffs and expectations were high. Maybe too high. I just don’t see that enthusiasm anymore there. I don’t follow the lions as close as I used to because all my kids go to Timpson. 

2 hours ago, JMS1971 said:

I believe your right. The problems in Henderson will more than likely take years to fix. While I was in school there, it was pretty much a given, we’d be in the playoffs and expectations were high. Maybe too high. I just don’t see that enthusiasm anymore there. I don’t follow the lions as close as I used to because all my kids go to Timpson. 

I was pretty shocked by the lack of a crowd from Henderson. 

Mannnnnn, new admin comes in and clears house for no reason 😂 they’re too woke. Didn’t realize how good of coaches they had, in almost all sports.  Brought the Duncanville mindset but not the Duncanville recruiting smh shame. This admin has killed this athletics program and I hate it for the kids.  Don’t feel bad for the administration and how they gave everyone the boot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2