Winnsboro @ Pottsboro 10/14

chevyman

Winnsboro @ Pottsboro   

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the battle of the boros.....

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, chevyman said:

Pottsboros Flanagan threw for 283 yards and 3 tds last week. Winny D will see their best challenge of the season. We have not seen the balanced offensive approach that we will see this week. Looking forward to the test

I agree...their o-line is huge so might be tough to get some pressure on the qb and their running game is pretty good also. Thankfully they don't have a running back like Mt. Vernon had but he is definitely not bad. Winny will have to swarm to the ball and gang tackle like they did most of the time against Mt. Vernon.

After watching more video, I think Winny will win but I think it is going to be a better game than I first thought. Should be a good one!!! 

On 10/8/2022 at 8:14 PM, blesseddaily said:

The most important benefit (besides being a district win) from the win over MV and what will affect the rest of the season and playoffs is HOW the Raiders won. Winny came in completely one dimensional of offense. Good defenses/teams love to scheme against these types of offenses. What Winny did by beating a very good MV team by almost completely switching their offense to a ground and pound attack sent shock waves to the defensive coaches that have to spend hours and hours studying video.

Now, what do you do as a defensive coach? Load up the box and stop the run? Go to an extra safety and stop the pass?  Or just play a base defense and hope you can match up? That's why the WAY Winny won was incredibly important...gonna be lots of extra hours spent by the teams Winny faces from here on out trying to figure it out!! And lots of fun watching how defenses try to stop Winny's offense and how Winny takes advantage of the defenses the teams use!!! 

Winny by 14

I didn't see that at all. What I saw was Winny can't throw or RUN unless its Finney. I also saw Winny doesn't want to run. Threw against multiple 7 man coverages. The three man front of MV controlled the run game if it wasn't Finney. Now Finney's use of his legs was surprising and he's going to give defensive staffs worries, but I saw no ground and pound outside of him. 

Winny will need more than that to beat Potts by 14. I also imagine Potts' offense is a little better than wildcat left, wildcat right. 

1 hour ago, mrclean69 said:

I didn't see that at all. What I saw was Winny can't throw or RUN unless its Finney. I also saw Winny doesn't want to run. Threw against multiple 7 man coverages. The three man front of MV controlled the run game if it wasn't Finney. Now Finney's use of his legs was surprising and he's going to give defensive staffs worries, but I saw no ground and pound outside of him. 

Winny will need more than that to beat Potts by 14. I also imagine Potts' offense is a little better than wildcat left, wildcat right. 

Absolutley, i agree with all that is mentioned. There was no business in not being able to run between the tackles based on MVs defensive scheme and outside of the QB we didnt do it. Should be a point of emphasis this week that if Potts shows the same look, we better be able to line up and run it down their throat. Offensive line should take it personally. With that said, I believe you will see a good running attack this week 

Edited by chevyman
  • Like 1

Guys, the whole concept of the read option is to be able to attack the defense at multiple locations. If the defense shuts down the "tackle to tackle" option it leaves the edge available. That is the qb's job...read the first option, if it is closed (like MV did Friday night) then pull and run...of just attack the edge on qb runs which is what we did.

After watching Potts on video I'm not sure we will be able to run "tackle to tackle" against them either. I do think we can attack the edges again and be successful...Bonham gashed them several times for big gains and also their secondary got burnt several times deep but the Bonham qb could not deliver a catchable ball. All in all, should be a very entertaining game!!

Edited by blesseddaily

2 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

If the entire run offense was based off of Finney then Winny would not have the offensive rushing stats that they have. MV also has one of the best D-Ends in the state of Texas. They did a great job of reading and playing off of him all night. The MV game ultimately showed that Winny's offense is a lot more versatile then everyone thought.

Even with the low stats they had, Winny controlled the field all night long. They are going to the same thing against Pottsboro. Will be a good game but Winny takes this one by 10+ points. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Malakoff is best team in region. 

Koff is extremely good. Didn’t claim to be the best in the region, just said Winny has a shot. 

We saw MV beat them a couple years ago when they shouldn’t have. Super excited for this years playoffs, lots of good matchups. 

Guest Tiger03lb

I think West has a good chance at the region this year. 

We'll know more when West/GV play next week. 

I could see koff beating either team in the playoffs. 

Guest Tiger03lb
55 minutes ago, Witb107 said:

Koff is extremely good. Didn’t claim to be the best in the region, just said Winny has a shot. 

We saw MV beat them a couple years ago when they shouldn’t have. Super excited for this years playoffs, lots of good matchups. 

Winny has a shot. Don't think anyone will disagree with ya on that. 

Yeah that loss was dispointing to say the lease. 

I think Pottsboro comes into this game a bit more prepared than Winnsboro this week.  For four reasons:

1. They faced a similarly styled team in Whitesboro and played them close.  
  2. They saw how WB can be slowed down in the MV game.
  3. WB coming off a high of “beating” mv in a very physical game.
  4. PB has the home field advantage and WB doesn’t have their homer refs and PA system.

PB Achilles heel could be penalties in this game.  (If I understand what happened in Whitesboro game).