WEEK 8: Marshall (4-3), (2-1) Vs. Texas High (5-1), (2-0)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Texas High  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Texas High in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Texas High in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

RETIREDFAN1
This post was recognized by RETIREDFAN1!

Mavchamp was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 5 points.

MARSHALLMAVERICKLOGO22.pngthslogo.png 

One of the most historical rivalries in East Texas.

Marshall has already faced their oldest rival this season in Tyler High (1908- 86 games).  And their longest rival in Longview (1909- 112 games).

Now it's Texas High, whom they have faced since 1911 in 100 total games.

Texarkana leads the series (53-39-8).

--------------

I'll get all the historical and statistical stuff posted this weekend I hope.

GO MAVS GO!

RB JQ Davis- 1,062 yards with 14 touchdowns

RB "Bird" Robinson- 541 yards with 5 touchdowns; 244 yards receiving with another 2 scores

RB S. Gatson- 281 yards with 2 touchdowns

QB Collier Slone 66-124 for 670 yards 5 touchdowns and 3 INTs

WR Jacorey Smith has 219 receiving and 4 scores

WR Zach Smith has 189 receiving 

I don't really predict Texas High games anymore.  I learned that lesson a long time ago.  The fact that this is at Grim is definitely a plus.  Normally THS has a rock solid defense but you can't deny the points we have given up.  Given the fact the Mavs run a different type of offense definitely puts some mystery on this game. Should be a good game.......certainly not expecting any blowout.  

Mavericks offense looks to be reliant on the run with some creative play action plays to free up 11 and 1. 1 is a rangy and explosive receiver and can get anything in the air. 11 is the workhorse for short pass plays in the flat. Mavs would much rather keep it on the ground and don't care about keeping an even distribution.

Texas High is explosive and they use their athleticism to exploit teams lack of quickness and speed. They bully you at the line of scrimmage and rely on 4 and 32 to gash you downfield. I think 4 is the better runner but 32 is special as well. I don't think they are as gifted at receiver as they have been in the past. Defense and special teams can be sloppy. Too sloppy for a talented team that wants to make a big run in the postseason. 

Texas High 35

Marshall 21

I was impressed by Marshall’s running attack as I have been by the Tiger’s. This is a game decided in the trenches. I give the edge to Texas High due to the game is at Grim and they had a bye week to get the soreness out and game plan for Marshall. I expect a close game.

1 hour ago, bordertown said:

I was impressed by Marshall’s running attack as I have been by the Tiger’s. This is a game decided in the trenches. I give the edge to Texas High due to the game is at Grim and they had a bye week to get the soreness out and game plan for Marshall. I expect a close game.

Two good DTs makes Marshall’s offense really struggle - more than other offensive game plans.  

5 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Two good DTs makes Marshall’s offense really struggle - more than other offensive game plans.  

It’s true. 

We have either had 400+ yards of offense or we’ve been completely shut down.  There’s no in between.  

Longview and Carthage completely grounded our offense.   Never threatened either.

No one else has done that.   We had 528 yards in our loss to Hallsville. 

Texas High is definitely more on the scale towards Longview and Carthage than they are Pine Tree and Mount Pleasant. 

And Grimm has been a house of horrors for us since 2002. 

Texas High offense has been fun to watch so far...they’ve been able to run the ball good all year but even after the QB got hurt they’ve still stayed pretty balanced, 3 receivers over 400 yards . defense has to keep from giving up the big play imo they’ve played pretty good against the run......not sure how it would work but If Marshall wins they still have a chance at a home playoff game I would think it could be a pretty good game. 

Edited by RogerDorn

The only game that I have not seen this year is the first one at Jerry's World against Frisco Lone Star.  Out of the games that I have seen not one has been able to make a living running the ball against the Tigers.  Hallsville's quarterback, I think, got a couple of good runs, one on a busted play and another one on a designed play for the quarterback to run.  The Tigers have given up the points on passing plays mostly due to the cornerbacks not paying attention to their coverage and letting the receivers get behind them.  They have been gashed because their heads stay in the offensive backfield too long.  Also, plays that are designed to go across the middle just behind the linebackers have hurt.  The other scores were kickoff returns.  The freshman and sophomore running backs should have been getting the totes before the senior back that was hurt.  He was a transfer from PG and probably should have stayed there.  By the way, the Tigers have three other big underclassmen backs besides those two.  Both quarterbacks have been very protective of the ball as far as interceptions.  Personally, I do not believe that Marshall can play with the Tigers.  They have way too much offensive power and the defensive line is deep and the linebackers run to the ball well.  I just hope that coach Stanford does not come out against the Mavs like he did two years ago and give them too much respect and play down to them.  An awful lot will have to go right for the Mavs to win at Grim Friday night.  Last but not least, if Marshall has been having problems defending the pass, they had better put the quarterback out of the game because the Tiger receiving group is awful good and deep.

I Got all the stats and fun history stuff posted.  Historically it's been a great series....but TXH has had the success against Marshall 2002-present that Marshall had over them from 1980-1997.  Identical records in fact.  Crazy.  

ENJOY!

Marshall Vs. Texas High GAMEDAY Page:  https://www.marshallmavericks.net/gameday

Main Page: https://www.marshallmavericks.net/