The Abandoned Houston Astrodome In Texas Is One Of The Eeriest Places In America

• 1 month later...

It is sad that this "wonder of the world" has gotten to this point. I was there for their first baseball game and their last baseball game in that building. It's got some great memories for me, Watching Nolan Ryan pitch, the "coldest foam in the dome", Bum Phillips, Earl Campbell, Dan Pastorini, plus at least one Texas Jam I can remember--The Rockets (Music Group), Blue Oyster Cult, Foghat, REO Speedwagon, & Heart......Should have done something to keep the place up. 

20 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

It is sad that this "wonder of the world" has gotten to this point. I was there for their first baseball game and their last baseball game in that building. It's got some great memories for me, Watching Nolan Ryan pitch, the "coldest foam in the dome", Bum Phillips, Earl Campbell, Dan Pastorini, plus at least one Texas Jam I can remember--The Rockets (Music Group), Blue Oyster Cult, Foghat, REO Speedwagon, & Heart......Should have done something to keep the place up. 

I was there for a lot of Astros and Oilers games......at WrestleMania the time it was there and once at the Rodeo where I got to see Charlie Pride in concert........but it's very evident from your post that you are almost as old as our resident old farts @KirtFalcon and @Hagar..🤣😂🤣😂

• LOL! 1

4 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

I was there for a lot of Astros and Oilers games......at WrestleMania the time it was there and once at the Rodeo where I got to see Charlie Pride in concert........but it's very evident from your post that you are almost as old as our resident old #### @KirtFalcon and @Hagar..🤣😂🤣😂

Well, I was just a toddler the day Micky Hit the first home run in the dome. But I have pictures and programs from there, I have a mint condition program from the All-Star game there that year. Also, went to many a rodeo down there, being just a short 2 hour drive to the dome from LUFKIN, we were there all the time. And the pep rallies after the Oilers lost to the steelers that year. AWESOME!!!!!!

But yes, I am older than I act, by about 20 years, possibly 30......LOL. 

18 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Well, I was just a toddler the day Micky Hit the first home run in the dome. But I have pictures and programs from there, I have a mint condition program from the All-Star game there that year. Also, went to many a rodeo down there, being just a short 2 hour drive to the dome from LUFKIN, we were there all the time. And the pep rallies after the Oilers lost to the steelers that year. AWESOME!!!!!!

But yes, I am older than I act, by about 20 years, possibly 30......LOL. 

Me and my dad was at the 1986 All Star game. ...

Just now, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Me and my dad was at the 1986 All Star game. ...

I was there also.....Plus.....I was at the one in 1968.....Was with my dad both times, had season tickets in 86--saw every game that Nolan pitched in the dome that year. Awesome. Have a signed baseball from the 86 Astros also. I hope it is worth something when I am ready to retire. LOL 

• Like 1

Just now, DannyZuco said:

I was there also.....Plus.....I was at the one in 1968.....Was with my dad both times, had season tickets in 86--saw every game that Nolan pitched in the dome that year. Awesome. Have a signed baseball from the 86 Astros also. I hope it is worth something when I am ready to retire. LOL 

You old as kirt .....lol

• LOL! 1

I love watching live baseball......My dad was a player, the Mudhens signed him, but he went to military instead. He loved the sport and was sad that his son couldn't hit the ocean if he fell out of a boat. So I got to enjoy a lot of live baseball with him. Now we watch the Rough Riders here in the Metroplex, much better than the rangers. LOL.

19 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Klinger????? :rofl:

Come to think of it.....Naw, dad didn't get in the military until after the Korean War.....He was at Berlin Airlift.....with Elvis.....

But Klinger is from his old neighborhood in Toledo.....That is where 1000s of Hungarians moved to....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was at countless Colt .45 and Astros games in the old Colt Stadium and then the Astrodome  ....  from the inception of the team .... also several other events including rodeos  .....  attended several football games, but I never went to an NFL game there  .....

• Like 1

You Guys are making me tear up here, only got to go to one Astros game back in the 70’s, when we lived in Newton.  We was so poor back then raising three kids, we couldn’t pay attention. I took my son, and two of his best friends, and enjoyed the “coldest foam in the dome also😀. Brings back some pretty good memories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 1:28 PM, DannyZuco said:

I watched U of H and Elvin Hayes beat UCLA and Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabar) there!

Edited by Olduy
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 2:45 PM, Mojo1000 said:

Did Houston ever officially decide on anything? I believe a few millionaire businessman could turn into something profitable.

Live stock show has too much influence. Will not let anything that sells food there as they think come Rodeo time people would eat there and not pay the high prices they charge

I saw the Astros there in 1970 along with a trip to Astroworld. Stayed in Houston for 2 weeks with my parents while my Grandpa was in the hospital. I think I still have one of those popcorn containers that doubled as a megaphone when you were done eating. Yes, I now get the senior discount at Brookshires on Tues....

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1
  • Grumpy 1