Week 9: Timpson Bears (7-0, 3-0) at Joaquin Rams (6-1, 4-0)

trueblue82

Very likely 11AA D1 District Championship   

61 members have voted

1. 1. Bears or Rams?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/22/2022 at 12:00 AM

I think Timpson wins.  That said, all the talk about how to beat them seems to be focused on what can you do to attack the weakness (if there is one) of their defense.  I think we all know what Joaquin is going to do.  It's the offense they run, and they are good at it.  They aren't going to become a spread team this week to beat Timpson.  They have to execute their offense.  That's the key.  Stay on schedule, limit negative plays, eat up clock.  Will it result in a win?  Maybe not, but it's the only chance they have.  Same thing on defense.  Limit the big plays and be opportunistic.  

Timpson has the guys to beat anyone in 2A, and most of 3A.  There's no doubt about that, and their fans should be more than confident that this game will go the same way it has the last two years.  That being said, you have to play the game.  These are teenage boys who are all capable of having a bad day.  Stranger things have happened.

I think Timpson wins by 28.

If Joe can get a crease every once in a while,and sustain a couple drives,they can stretch the clock and keep the score lower..only prob is they gotta score because that offense isn't exactly designed to score fast against a good defense but to keep the opposing offense off the field..it is a delicate balance with a razor edge..

Edited by upullinmychain

24 minutes ago, corrigancamden09 said:

Ground n pound man!  

i can remember coaches that would tell our old coaches Todd York and seven Armstrong ,  they would say we already know what y’all are gonna do ..  we don’t have to scout y’all … 

and they would just laugh and say yeah but you still gotta stop it … lol

Yes sir that's it. I'm glad the dogs are having success but i miss seeing that style of ball in C town

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, corrigancamden09 said:

In 96 I can remember as a lil boy we had the state ranked rusk eagles come to town!  Everyone was saying they was gonna wipe the floor with CC and that it would be a running clock after halftime… boy were they wrong….

i remember coach York running 6 A sweep right GAP on two !! He ran it 7 times in a row!!  And he was on the field screaming run it at them again!! I’ll never forget it !! 
we beat rusk that night by 2 touchdowns 

Yes sir that's old school CC to the bone right there I miss seeing it for sure.. If you recall CC also whooped the Livingston Lions in 96 23-0 in what I believe is the only Polk County bowl ever played! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, corrigancamden09 said:

I will always love the wing T  I guess..  I love a good ground n pound offense!

when CC used to run it we always had 2 backs sometimes 3 .. and 2 fullbacks that we rotated.. 

im not a big fan of the spread..  I have had to learn to try and like it and accept it..    the spread is only good if you have the athletes to run it ,  but you can build a tough running program and have success just about every year ..  I seen CC do it from 97 to 2020 by making the playoffs every year and winning a state title ..  once in 02..  and also won one in 88. 

everyone has their own offense they love ..  I guess mine will always be the wing T.. 

LIVE BY THE RUN..  DIE BY THE RUN..

It's great untill you run into a defense that can shut it down in the later rounds of the playoffs ....

1 minute ago, KirtFalcon said:

It's great untill you run into a defense that can shut it down in the later rounds of the playoffs ....

every offense has its pros and cons. Liberty hill, Brock, shiner, newton and many more have all shown that ground and pound can win it but so can the spread, the Gun T stuff, just have to have jimmy's and joes that fit it to be successful. 

18 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Come on over to the home side. I’ll make a spot for you. If you’re wearing blue you’ll fit right in. I can’t promise the same courtesy if you’re wearing black and yellow. 

I will inside the fence beside that bears tunnel wearing my black and gold but I’ll be there early so I probably catch up with you before the game trueblue 

30 minutes ago, GATA18 said:

Yes sir that's old school CC to the bone right there I miss seeing it for sure.. If you recall CC also whooped the Livingston Lions in 96 23-0 in what I believe is the only Polk County bowl ever played! 

Yes sir I miss it too!!  And yes sir we started playing them in 96 !  Winning that year 23 to 0 

we beat them 27 to 9 in 97!

beat them 33 to 6 in 98! 
and beat them 54 to 18 in 99 

and we haven’t played them since then! 

30 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

That just goes back to what I said though man ..  we lived by the run and we died by the run ..  

we had the mentality that even though you was stopping it ,  we was still gonna keep running it at you .. 

that’s when you find out how good of shape a team is in!  
might not win a ton of state championships..  but you get respect and build a good name for your program 

Comparison of Timpson Joaquin pre district games.

Joaquin 

Arp 3AD2 current record 2 - 6 won 48 to 14

Beckville 2AD1 current record 6- 1 lost 42 to 41

Tenaha 2AD2 current record 3- 4 won 56 to 6

Joaquin pre district record 2 -1 combined record of opponents 11-11

Timpson

Beckville 2AD1 current record 6-1 Won 53 to 22

Jefferson 3AD1 current record 5-2 Won 52-29

Dangerfield 3AD2 current record 5-2 Won 54 to 28

Waskom 3AD2 current record 5-2 Won 40 to 14

Pre district record 4-0

Combined record of opponents 21-7

• Thanks 3

I think Joaquin has a really good old school type team. 

It would be fun to see them come out in the spread 😂 

In all honesty had they ran a passing offense over the last 15 years or so they might have a championship? 

I've talked to a super good AD just across the state line that agrees with me. 

Timpson wins here but I could see these two meeting up for the region. According to the bracket of course. 

I'm predicting Joe will have some success running the ball and score 2 or 3 times and they hold Timpson under 50. I hope so anyway. 

I think a 48 to 21 type game would be worth the price of admission. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WildBear said:

Honestly I believe Joaquin is underrated. I think they have a good enough team to compete with Beckville, Centerville, Corrigan Camden,Cooper and beat any of these teams in the playoffs.

Joaquin gets the most out of their players. I like the way they execute their offense and their defense is hard nosed .... thy are a well coached team .... I think if they were more balanced on offense, they could really make a deep run in the playoffs .... they probably will anyway, but a balanced attack goes a long way in the later rounds .... no doubt, our district has two of the toughest outs in 2A ....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KirtFalcon said:

Joaquin gets the most out of their players. I like the way they execute their offense and their defense is hard nosed .... thy are a well coached team .... I think if they were more balanced on offense, they could really make a deep run in the playoffs .... they probably will anyway, but a balanced attack goes a long way in the later rounds .... no doubt, our district has two of the toughest outs in 2A ....

Absolutely 

9 hours ago, Gen7Dragon said:

I think Joaquin has a really good old school type team. 

It would be fun to see them come out in the spread 😂 

In all honesty had they ran a passing offense over the last 15 years or so they might have a championship? 

I've talked to a super good AD just across the state line that agrees with me. 

Timpson wins here but I could see these two meeting up for the region. According to the bracket of course. 

I'm predicting Joe will have some success running the ball and score 2 or 3 times and they hold Timpson under 50. I hope so anyway. 

I think a 48 to 21 type game would be worth the price of admission. 

Honestly, I don't know if they would or not. Let's not forget that Joaquin traditionally isn't blessed with a whole lot of "elite athletes".   Joaquin has some gritty tough kids .   Prior to Gandy's arrival (prior coaching staff) in Joaquin,  they were traditionally an 0-10 or 1-9 type school.   Regardless of a lot of folks opinions of Joaquin, they have came a long ways from the days of being scheduled for everyone's homecomings. Gandy got it turned around initially but then I thought that Coach Lawson was a breath of fresh air and has really advanced the program that much further. It also seems like Lawson and the current staff are doing a much better job of building "athletes" than before also. Our track and weight programs are far superior to the prior staff.   We now have athletes like Stotts, and the Jordan brothers.

The Double Wing/Slot-T is a really good fit for those gritty tough country kids that always keeps them competitive. The biggest issues the last few years have been injuries which have really hurt any playoff runs.  

In my opinion, the most underachieving group was the 2012 team that went 10-0 and then lost in the first round of the playoffs to Bosqueville. I would have LOVED to have seen Coach Lawson and the current staff have a chance with that group of kids. In my opinion, we had a real chance to make a run that season. 

Edited by yourteamstinks

13 minutes ago, yourteamstinks said:

Honestly, I don't know if they would or not. Let's not forget that Joaquin traditionally isn't blessed with a whole lot of "elite athletes".   Joaquin has some gritty tough kids .   Prior to Gandy's arrival (prior coaching staff) in Joaquin,  they were traditionally an 0-10 or 1-9 type school.   Regardless of a lot of folks opinions of Joaquin, they have came a long ways from the days of being scheduled for everyone's homecomings. Gandy got it turned around initially but then I thought that Coach Lawson was a breath of fresh air and has really advanced the program that much further. It also seems like Lawson and the current staff are doing a much better job of building "athletes" than before also. Our track and weight programs are far superior to the prior staff.   We now have athletes like Stotts, and the Jordan brothers.

The Double Wing/Slot-T is a really good fit for those gritty tough country kids that always keeps them competitive. The biggest issues the last few years have been injuries which have really hurt any playoff runs.  

In my opinion, the most underachieving group was the 2012 team that went 10-0 and then lost in the first round of the playoffs to Bosqueville. I would have LOVED to have seen Coach Lawson and the current staff have a chance with that group of kids. In my opinion, we had a real chance to make a run that season. 

Was that with Vaughn and the Hairgrove kid and I think the Cooper kid?….. I agree 

3 hours ago, yourteamstinks said:

In my opinion, the most underachieving group was the 2012 team that went 10-0 and then lost in the first round of the playoffs to Bosqueville. I would have LOVED to have seen Coach Lawson and the current staff have a chance with that group of kids. In my opinion, we had a real chance to make a run that 

The Wing T offense is known for a high injury rate. All the moving parts in such a close vicinity. 

I agree about Gandy turning things around and the overall success but there have been some absolute track teams over there! 

They have a multitude of athletes now that would do well in a more modern offense. 

You can still be a run dominant team and throw the ball. 

Edited by Gen7Dragon