Week 9: Timpson Bears (7-0, 3-0) at Joaquin Rams (6-1, 4-0)

trueblue82

Very likely 11AA D1 District Championship   

61 members have voted

1. 1. Bears or Rams?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/22/2022 at 12:00 AM

14 hours ago, Gen7Dragon said:

I think Joaquin has a really good old school type team. 

It would be fun to see them come out in the spread 😂 

In all honesty had they ran a passing offense over the last 15 years or so they might have a championship? 

I've talked to a super good AD just across the state line that agrees with me. 

Timpson wins here but I could see these two meeting up for the region. According to the bracket of course. 

I'm predicting Joe will have some success running the ball and score 2 or 3 times and they hold Timpson under 50. I hope so anyway. 

I think a 48 to 21 type game would be worth the price of admission. 

I do too

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ttowngrad said:

If and when Timpson wins.. Does Garrison mow the grass in two week when the bears come to the pound…

We need to put up 2"×6" wooden side boards all around the outer track, then fill it with 5" of water and mud ... make it a mud wrestling contest ....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ttowngrad said:

If and when Timpson wins.. Does Garrison mow the grass in two week when the bears come to the pound…

1 minute ago, upullinmychain said:

Joe's defense is gonna have to get crafty to get in the backfield and pressure Bussey..could make a difference in how timpsons offense runs..little things have big consequences some times...just don't let him loose if you do cause he gone...lol 😂 

Considering how dangerous he is as a scrambler, sometimes the worst thing you can do is cover all the receivers. 

Just now, trueblue82 said:

Considering how dangerous he is as a scrambler, sometimes the worst thing you can do is cover all the receivers. 

Stunts and blitzes work if you can get there fast enough before he sees it coming 🤷‍♂️. Everything is a gamble but Joe will have to gamble some during the game to try to get an advantage of any kind.

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

We need to put up 2"×6" wooden side boards all around the outer track, then fill it with 5" of water and mud ... make it a mud wrestling contest ....

Reminds me of the Tenaha at Timpson mudbowl about 2009 or 2010.

• Roll Eyes 1

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

Or, and hear me out here…….. just play it at Tenaha and turn on the sprinklers. 

• LOL! 1

On 10/18/2022 at 1:38 AM, Gen7Dragon said:

I think Joaquin has a really good old school type team. 

It would be fun to see them come out in the spread 😂 

In all honesty had they ran a passing offense over the last 15 years or so they might have a championship? 

I've talked to a super good AD just across the state line that agrees with me. 

Timpson wins here but I could see these two meeting up for the region. According to the bracket of course. 

I'm predicting Joe will have some success running the ball and score 2 or 3 times and they hold Timpson under 50. I hope so anyway. 

I think a 48 to 21 type game would be worth the price of admission. 

Joaquin has done as well as they have because they avoided a pass happy offense.! They’ve put their kids in the right position to succeed.  

If Joaquin can sustain drives and score this will be a closer game than most think.  Joaquin will need a takeaway or two as well.  If they try to have a track meet it will get ugly.  Gotta stay ahead of the chains and away from 3rd and longs.  The shorter the game the better the chance the Rams have to win.  

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 6:59 AM, trueblue82 said:

Alright folks we will go ahead and get it started. This is the one we’ve been waiting for. The Timpson Bears have looked unbeatable this year. No one has kept a game close with them, even 3A stalwarts like Daingerfield and Jefferson. They are winning by 50 point margins with regularity, behind elite athletes Terry Bussey, Vosky Howard and Amari Bruton. Led by one of the best coaches in Texas, Coach Kerry Therwanger, the Bears have steamrolled through a tough non-district schedule and only picked up speed entering league play. They run a high octane spread offense that gets their speed guys in space where one missed tackle leads to a TD. It appears that if Shelby County is going to see a school win a football state title, it will be the Timpson Bears in 2022 or 23. Then you have the Joaquin Rams. They have been impressive as well, albeit as the antithesis of the high flying Bears. The Rams are as old school as it gets, pounding away on teams with a 4-headed monster of a backfield running behind an offensive line that uses all the grace and subtlety of a D-9 dozer clearing a cutover. Although we have seen Coach Wade Lawson let his QBs sling the pigskin around a little in recent weeks, that may be just a ruse. This team lives and breathes smash-mouth football. Timpson has ruled Region 3 over the last two and a half years, with their only 2 losses since the end of the 2019 season coming to 2-time state champion Shiner in the state semifinals. The Rams have struggled to finish the season over the same span, going a collective 0-5 against Timpson and the teams they have played after facing the Bears. The Rams look different this season. Will it be enough? Can the Rams keep the football moving enough to keep it out of the hands of the Bear playmakers and grind out a W? Will the Bear machine continue to roll? I’ve already screwed my stadium seat to my spot on the 46 yard line. Y’all better get there early. 

This was a great read. Timpson wins the game but like ALWAYS Joaquin wins the concession stand battle! 

27 minutes ago, TIMRIGGINS said:

I have gone out of my way on a Friday night to visit the concession stand for that Ram sauce....GAME CHANGER! 

Don't drink the coolaid...if you've ever had the brisket tacos at our home coming In Carlisle,you'd know the whole red pill -Blu pill philosophy was bunkem..👀...look above the horizon good sir ✌️

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

If Joaquin can sustain drives and score this will be a closer game than most think.  Joaquin will need a takeaway or two as well.  If they try to have a track meet it will get ugly.  Gotta stay ahead of the chains and away from 3rd and longs.  The shorter the game the better the chance the Rams have to win.  

Exactly......If they control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, catch a turnover or two, they could pull of the upset.

On 10/18/2022 at 11:20 AM, yourteamstinks said:

Honestly, I don't know if they would or not. Let's not forget that Joaquin traditionally isn't blessed with a whole lot of "elite athletes".   Joaquin has some gritty tough kids .   Prior to Gandy's arrival (prior coaching staff) in Joaquin,  they were traditionally an 0-10 or 1-9 type school.   Regardless of a lot of folks opinions of Joaquin, they have came a long ways from the days of being scheduled for everyone's homecomings. Gandy got it turned around initially but then I thought that Coach Lawson was a breath of fresh air and has really advanced the program that much further. It also seems like Lawson and the current staff are doing a much better job of building "athletes" than before also. Our track and weight programs are far superior to the prior staff.   We now have athletes like Stotts, and the Jordan brothers.

The Double Wing/Slot-T is a really good fit for those gritty tough country kids that always keeps them competitive. The biggest issues the last few years have been injuries which have really hurt any playoff runs.  

In my opinion, the most underachieving group was the 2012 team that went 10-0 and then lost in the first round of the playoffs to Bosqueville. I would have LOVED to have seen Coach Lawson and the current staff have a chance with that group of kids. In my opinion, we had a real chance to make a run that season. 

I remember that game.  We were lucky to get out of there with the W.