***Week 9: Overton Mustangs (2-5 | 1-1) @ Alto Yellowjackets (4-3 | 1-1) - Friday | 7:00 p.m.***

StingEmALTO

Overton @ Alto  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/22/2022 at 12:00 AM

RETIREDFAN1
This post was recognized by RETIREDFAN1!

StingEmALTO was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

The Alto Yellowjackets will host the Overton Mustangs this Friday; kickoff is slated for 7:00 p.m. The Jackets and Mustangs have been district mates twice:  1978/1979 and 2008/2009 with the Jackets winning all 4 contests. They played a playoff game way back in 1937 with the Mustangs winning 27-0. Other than that, a couple scrimmages in 2018 and 2019.

The Jackets lost to Tenaha in a heartbreaker on Saturday 43-42 while the Mustangs defeated Mt. Enterprise 47-38 Friday. Both squads are 1-1 in district.

Results for the 2022 season thus far:

Shelbyville 48 - Alto 44
Alto 48 - West Sabine 22
Alto 22 - San Augustine 8
Garrison 28 - Alto 20
Alto 32 - Groveton 20
Alto 46 - Mount Enterprise 34
Tenaha 43 - Alto 42

Quinlan Boles 27 - Overton 12
Overton 45 - All Saints 6
Simms Bowie 47 - Overton 28
Colmesneil 36 - Overton 25
Linden-Kildare 28 - Overton 26
Cushing 22 - Overton 15 (OT)
Overton 47 - Mt. Enterprise 38

ALTO-OVERTON SERIES

All-Time Record for Alto:
     602 wins | 384 losses | 34 ties | 1,020 total games

All-Time Record for Overton:
     447 wins | 451 losses | 24 ties | 922 total games

All-Time Series Record:
     Alto - 4 wins | Overton - 1 win

Alto’s longest winning streak vs. Overton:
     4 wins in a row (1978-2009)

Overton’s longest winning streak vs. Alto:
     No streak

Current streak:  Alto 4 wins in a row (1978 - now)

Do the Jackets right the ship or do the Mustangs pull what many might consider an upset?

8B63BD8A-4325-4ACB-9EB5-17D3F54D5E79.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ClydesBoys96 said:

Was in Tenaha for the game last week.   Got to visit with my old buddy's down that way.  Very entertaining and worth the price of admission for sure.

Overton is outmatched.   But, we have a chance.   

I remember some very memorable games between Overton and Tenaha back in the day!

Our coach spoke highly of Overton tonight at booster club. Says y’all have a good QB, receivers, and size on the line. Should be a good game!

41 minutes ago, grinder said:

is your center good to go ? heard he got his bell rung

He did. He won’t play this Friday but should be good to go the following week. He came out during the 3rd quarter of the Tenaha game. Great kid and starter on both sides of the ball. Warrior. 

Edited by StingEmALTO

On 10/17/2022 at 9:43 PM, StingEmALTO said:

The Alto Yellowjackets will host the Overton Mustangs this Friday; kickoff is slated for 7:00 p.m. The Jackets and Mustangs have been district mates twice:  1978/1979 and 2008/2009 with the Jackets winning all 4 contests. They played a playoff game way back in 1937 with the Mustangs winning 27-0. Other than that, a couple scrimmages in 2018 and 2019.

The Jackets lost to Tenaha in a heartbreaker on Saturday 43-42 while the Mustangs defeated Mt. Enterprise 47-38 Friday. Both squads are 1-1 in district.

Results for the 2022 season thus far:

Shelbyville 48 - Alto 44
Alto 48 - West Sabine 22
Alto 22 - San Augustine 8
Garrison 28 - Alto 20
Alto 32 - Groveton 20
Alto 46 - Mount Enterprise 34
Tenaha 43 - Alto 42

Quinlan Boles 27 - Overton 12
Overton 45 - All Saints 6
Simms Bowie 47 - Overton 28
Colmesneil 36 - Overton 25
Linden-Kildare 28 - Overton 26
Cushing 22 - Overton 15 (OT)
Overton 47 - Mt. Enterprise 38

ALTO-OVERTON SERIES

All-Time Record for Alto:
     602 wins | 384 losses | 34 ties | 1,020 total games

All-Time Record for Overton:
     447 wins | 451 losses | 24 ties | 922 total games

All-Time Series Record:
     Alto - 4 wins | Overton - 1 win

Alto’s longest winning streak vs. Overton:
     4 wins in a row (1978-2009)

Overton’s longest winning streak vs. Alto:
     No streak

Current streak:  Alto 4 wins in a row (1978 - now)

Do the Jackets right the ship or do the Mustangs pull what many might consider an upset?

8B63BD8A-4325-4ACB-9EB5-17D3F54D5E79.jpeg

Interesting little factoid considering these two have so rarely played each other. In 1989 when Ol’ TRUEBLUE was a junior at Joaquin High School, the Rams went 7-3 and finished in a 3-way tie for 2nd behind Garrison along with Shelbyville and West Sabine. Shelbyville beat us 10-6 and we beat WS 20-0 so we won the tiebreaker and went to bi-district as the 2 seed. The Overton Mustangs ran all over Carthage’s QM Martin Stadium and beat us 52-0. In 1990, we finished 10-0 and of course, district champions. Tie Elysian Fields 21-21 in a bi-district game at Tatum, advanced on penetrations, and met up with, you guessed it, the Alto Yellowjackets. That game was played at SFA’s Homer Bryce Stadium and Alto beat us 57-0. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Interesting little factoid considering these two have so rarely played each other. In 1989 when Ol’ TRUEBLUE was a junior at Joaquin High School, the Rams went 7-3 and finished in a 3-way tie for 2nd behind Garrison along with Shelbyville and West Sabine. Shelbyville beat us 10-6 and we beat WS 20-0 so we won the tiebreaker and went to bi-district as the 2 seed. The Overton Mustangs ran all over Carthage’s QM Martin Stadium and beat us 52-0. In 1990, we finished 10-0 and of course, district champions. Tie Elysian Fields 21-21 in a bi-district game at Tatum, advanced on penetrations, and met up with, you guessed it, the Alto Yellowjackets. That game was played at SFA’s Homer Bryce Stadium and Alto beat us 57-0. 

I didn’t know that about the Overton-Joaquin playoff game but I remember that game at Homer Bryce. I was a sophomore at SFA and my future wife was a senior at Alto cheering on the sidelines. The next game at Homer Bryce that year didn’t go nearly as well as we ran into the Rodney Thomas train in the regional finals and lost to Groveton 39-27; HE defeated us earlier that season too in district 28-19. What a machine!

Overton  had some really good teams back in the day…and getting more competitive. I picked Mount to beat them and we see how that went. Lol

Edited by StingEmALTO

2 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

I didn’t know that about the Overton-Joaquin playoff game but I remember that game at Homer Bryce. I was a sophomore at SFA and my future wife was a senior at Alto cheering on the sidelines. The next game at Homer Bryce that year didn’t go nearly as well as we ran into the Rodney Thomas train in the regional finals and lost to Groveton 39-27; HE defeated us earlier that season too in district 28-19. What a machine!

Yes those were the only two games Alto lost that year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

We played one game in the old Carthage Stadium before they condemned it: a bI-district playoff loss to Waskom 34-20 in 1992. Man! Did they get an upgrade over that place. 😂 

21 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Crazy how things used to be ending in a tie. One of the best decisions ever made was to let the teams play it out. I laugh a little when I look at the football records of schools and see just how many games ended in ties. I’m not sure how that ever made sense or why the old timers didn’t think of overtime! 🤷‍♂️ Glad it got changed finally. Don’t remember the year, but I don’t think it was too long ago actually. 

8 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

He did. He won’t play this Friday but should be good to go the following week. He came out during the 3rd quarter of the Tenaha game. Great kid and starter on both sides of the ball. Warrior. 

kinfolk he is a good kid

• Like 1

Area Football:

Overton (2-5, 1-1) at Alto (4-3, 1-1)

The Yellowjackets are coming off a narrow 43-42 road loss against the Tenaha Tigers, a game that was played Saturday evening.

Rashawn Mumphrey had 21 carries for 251 yards and five touchdowns. Keegan Davis had 16 carries for 88 yards and led Alto in passing by throwing for 79 of the teams 94 yards yards and one touchdown. Khalil Reagan was on the receiving end of the 43-yard touchdown pass as he finished the night with two catches for 58 yards and a score. Landon Cook had two catches for 19 yards while Mumphrey had one catch for 11 yards and Ky’Andre Buckingham had one catch for six yards.

Tenaha quarterback Ja’Tyrian Moore accounted for five touchdowns on the night, going 11-of-17 passing for two scores and one interception while adding 25 carries for 119 yards and three scores on the ground. Jordan Reese was next in line for the Tigers’ rushing with 100 yards and a touchdown on 14 carries. Kamarion Ross caught eight passes for 64 yards and a touchdown and Ja’Torian Moore had a five-yard touchdown reception.

On the season, Mumphrey has 123 carries for 1,246 yards and 14 touchdowns. Davis is 53-of-93 passing for 804 yards and 15 touchdowns and has 95 carries for 619 yards and two touchdowns. Jackson Duplichain has 14 catches for 266 yards and four touchdowns. Reagan has 10 receptions for 224 yards and five scores. Jay Benton has nine catches for 173 yards and four scores.

Overton is coming off a 47-38 win over Mount Enterprise.

Friday’s game against Overton will feature Mustang’s running back Bryce Still who is currently 64-of-129 yards for 1,234 yards, 19 touchdowns and eight interceptions to go along with his 88 carries for 518 yards and five scores. Anthony Merritt is next in line for the team’s rushing with 65 carries for 420 yards and four touchdowns. Jayden Edwards leads the receiving squad with 571 yards and 12 touchdowns on 22 receptions. Jaxson Hawkins has 28 catches for 534 yards and six scores.

The contest is slated for a 7 p.m. kickoff at Alto’s Cam’ron Matthews Field at Jacket Stadium: Home of The Mean Sting.

https://www.dailysentinel.com/sports/article_b1440a72-12eb-5f15-bb43-55cc24cf0de1.html

846413C9-B6E3-4FEE-8BC9-1BF1CAD2909F.jpeg

Edited by StingEmALTO
  • Love 1

Prep Football Preview-Week 9:

Overton Mustangs (2-5, 1-1) at Alto Yellowjackets (4-3, 1-1)

7 p.m. Friday at Cam'ron Matthews Field at Jacket Stadium in Alto 

Last Week: Overton 47, Mount Enterprise 38; Tenaha 43, Alto 42

Next Week: Overton at Price-Carlisle; Alto at Cushing

Game Note: Look for the Jackets to come out determined to play four quarters of Mean Sting football, regardless of what the score is, after letting a win get away from them last week in Tenaha...The Mustangs' victories have come against All Saints and Mt. Enterprise, who have a combined record of 2-13...In its two district games, Overton has scored just two more than it has given up...Overton's last win over Alto came in 1937.

https://www.jacksonvilleprogress.com/sports/prep-football-previews-week-9-big-games-await-rusk-bullard-and-troup/article_7a3edc86-5077-11ed-9f5b-3f3dc75648c5.html

76C3FE50-3829-491D-AC4B-772AAAE7D95D.jpeg

• Love 1

18 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

He eliminated us in back to back seasons.

I wasn't even mad, Rodney Thomas was a beautiful runner. I was in awe of his talent and immediately a fan. 

2 hours ago, LOL said:

He eliminated us in back to back seasons.

I wasn't even mad, Rodney Thomas was a beautiful runner. I was in awe of his talent and immediately a fan. 

That was a man among boys.

Funny you say that about not even being mad. Probably a lot of opponents playing Terry Bussey these days feel the same way. You have this generational talent and he’s easy to appreciate and fun to watch!

• Like 1