Maypearl Open again!!!?????

itiswhatitis33

Started my coaching career there 25 yrs ago under Terry McCown. When I started enrollment was around 200. This last alignment enrollment was 376. A lot of change. When I was there they had great community and kids(not saying that has changed). We had pretty good success from around 2000-2010 they were competitive. But the growth had started. In 5 years there almost daily new housing construction started.  I'm sure that has played a major part in the difference then and now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiefRedCloud said:

Started my coaching career there 25 yrs ago under Terry McCown. When I started enrollment was around 200. This last alignment enrollment was 376. A lot of change. When I was there they had great community and kids(not saying that has changed). We had pretty good success from around 2000-2010 they were competitive. But the growth had started. In 5 years there almost daily new housing construction started.  I'm sure that has played a major part in the difference then and now. 

you would think that would be a good thing............. they are still just 3a........ should bring in more kids........

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis33 said:

Matt Stepp tweeted it out yesterday that head coach resigned this week.  I am just curious if anybody knows that story this guy just go there and didn't know if situation was bad or what?!

He was already on staff from what I hear.  Was promoted when former AD/Head Football left.

I had a buddy interview to be the OC there a few years back.  He said during the interview the (then) AD talked about how he was ready to be done with being the AD and this was after being the AD for not even a year.

I'm not real sure what's going on there but every time I go through there it feels like something's off.

1 hour ago, ChiefRedCloud said:

They have struggled the last 10 or so years at football. Basketball and baseball have had some success. 

Another victim of the select league/AAU culture killing the football program id bet…. 

All these places taking their parents money to tell them how good their kid is and to afraid to get actually coaches. 

Guest Tiger03lb
3 hours ago, BEASTeastTX said:

Another victim of the select league/AAU culture killing the football program id bet…. 

All these places taking their parents money to tell them how good their kid is and to afraid to get actually coaches. 

We had that problem in baseball back in 19'/20', one of those years. Eventually the kids came around and started playing football but it was towards the end of the regular season. Driskell didn't play them until like the 3rd/4th week after coming back. 

I really think there's something there outside of AAU/7 on 7.  A lot of those "Mayberry" looking places don't want coaches pushing kids too hard but still want to go beat everyone.  I'm sure there's also some people with stroke in the community that want their kids to be the studs but can't handle the fact the gene pool couldn't make it out of a puddle.

I don't know if that's the case with Maypearl, but in a situation where there's this kind of instability that shows some alarm.

I think 7 on 7 is fine… I mean select baseball, AAU basketball isn’t as bad but it can be! 

I would just bet the font have a lot of players playing baseball AND football because they don’t want to get “hurt” for baseball because they are all going to get to the show…. 

or at least that’s what their “select” coach that their parents PAY say. 

14 minutes ago, BEASTeastTX said:

I think 7 on 7 is fine… I mean select baseball, AAU basketball isn’t as bad but it can be! 

I would just bet the font have a lot of players playing baseball AND football because they don’t want to get “hurt” for baseball because they are all going to get to the show…. 

or at least that’s what their “select” coach that their parents PAY say. 

Facts, Football popularity is going down with a lot of single sport kids. it stinks and its not good developmentally but parents only hear the coaches saying its the only way to get "better" at that sport and other sports will harm "the option to play at the next level".  Track is another sport that's losing numbers as well.