Week Ten: Longview at Tyler

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (8-0, 5-0) at Tyler Lions (2-6, 2-3)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Tyler in a close one
    • Tyler in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/29/2022 at 12:30 AM

I'm a say this. Most people would agree with me but some won't. If you are open minded and can see the bigger picture you will understand what I am about to say. Those of you who will have a problem with this is the reason JT and Lee are in the position they are in. Hypothetically speaking. Say the coaches at Lee and JT are leaving whether it's retirement, resign, or fired. This is me speaking as if I am the AD. I'm going to Longview and Carthage to try get and the DC's from both schools to come lead our programs. These are two of the best programs in East Texas. I got Carthage 1, Gilmer 2, and Longview 3 as the best East TX has to offer. Back to what I'm saying. JT and Lee needs defensive minded coaches. They need someone who is going to bring that toughness back to the schools. Don't worry about trying to outscore someone. They been doing that for years and it hasn't panned out. They need someone who is going to put a hurting on someone and stop them from scoring on them. I'm giving them whatever they want and need to be successful. These are East Texas coaches who is going to stay put in East Texas. So you don't have to worry about them staying a few years and going back to the big cities. That's my take on it. So take it for whatever it is.

Edited by VonG
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, VonG said:

That will never happen. Coach Holmes would never take another position other than the head coach at JT. Pride won't let him do it. Once you become a head coach it's hard to step down into a DC or whatever roll. I been calling all the shots and now you want me to demote myself and have to answer to someone. 💩 no.

I don't think very many coaches would demote themselves on their team nor would a good AD or Principal allow them to do that. That would cause too much friction for the next head coach. 

Besides, I don't think he would be a good DC anyway. The def has had moments, but it hasn't been great under his watch.  He would be a great recruiting coordinator and probably a very good DB coach, but he have to do that at another school.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VonG said:

I'm a say this. Most people would agree with me but some won't. If you are open minded and can see the bigger picture you will understand what I am about to say. Those of you who will have a problem with this is the reason JT and Lee are in the position they are in. Hypothetically speaking. Say the coaches at Lee and JT are leaving whether it's retirement, resign, or fired. This is me speaking as if I am the AD. I'm going to Longview and Carthage to try get and the DC's from both schools to come lead our programs. These are two of the best programs in East Texas. I got Carthage 1, Gilmer 2, and Longview 3 as the best East TX has to offer. Back to what I'm saying. JT and Lee needs defensive minded coaches. They need someone who is going to bring that toughness back to the schools. Don't worry about trying to outscore someone. They been doing that for years and it hasn't panned out. They need someone who is going to put a hurting on someone and stop them from scoring on them. I'm giving them whatever they want and need to be successful. These are East Texas coaches who is going to stay put in East Texas. So you don't have to worry about them staying a few years and going back to the big cities. That's my take on it. So take it for whatever it is.

Lee tried something similar by hiring one of Gilmer coaches. He left. But doesn't mean I wouldn't try it again.  Of course you know any hire at JT will probably need to fit in the community.

30 minutes ago, VonG said:

Spot on.

Literally what I've been saying, specifically about Lee. But it claims true to JT as well.

Pound the ball, hard nosed defense. Haven't seen a physical Lee team since Owens.

And going to DFW for coaches that have no ETX roots is a death sentence.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I don't think very many coaches would demote themselves on their team nor would a good AD or Principal allow them to do that. That would cause too much friction for the next head coach. 

Besides, I don't think he would be a good DC anyway. The def has had moments, but it hasn't been great under his watch.  He would be a great recruiting coordinator and probably a very good DB coach, but he have to do that at another school.

Was giving the benefit of the doubt when I suggested the DC thing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Spot on.

Literally what I've been saying, specifically about Lee. But it claims true to JT as well.

Pound the ball, hard nosed defense. Haven't seen a physical Lee team since Owens.

And going to DFW for coaches that have no ETX roots is a death sentence.

or maybe try Louisiana. Worked out well for Longview and Kilgore. Besides that, the pay raise Louisiana coaches get coming to Texas would keep them here. Salaries pretty much double. 

Edited by JTFAN99

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

Lee tried something similar by hiring one of Gilmer coaches. He left. But doesn't mean I wouldn't try it again.  Of course you know any hire at JT will probably need to fit in the community.

Gilmer is not known for playing great defense. Plus his brother is the head coach at a university. That was a no brainer from him to leave. 

A winning coach fits the community. Does Claude fit the community with him being the principal of JT? 

Edited by VonG

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

In the high school ranks. Nothing less than a head coach position for him. In college a db coach or coordinator would work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VonG said:

And this is what some of those East Texas coaches would say: "SHOW ME THE MONEY".

The TISD poop show needs an overhaul from top to bottom, AD on down. Scrap it and start over. There is SOOOO much talent in Tyler and no one has figured out how to get the best out of or the best FOR those athletes. (I even mean the ones that are not on the roster but should be.) Tyler should be close to top most years, instead of the other way around. It has to be someone that has turned a program around and not someone that is just out of college or worked under existing coaches all their career. Just my .02 worth. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VonG said:

Gilmer is not known for playing great defense. Plus his brother is the head coach at a university. That was a no brainer from him to leave. 

A winning coach fits the community. Does Claude fit the community with him being the principal of JT? 

personally I could care less what he looks like. But tell me the last time JT had a coach that was another color?  That's all I'm saying. 

8 minutes ago, VonG said:

In the high school ranks. Nothing less than a head coach position for him. In college a db coach or coordinator would work. 

I'm sure thats the goal, but you take whatever is available to pay the bills, especially if a head coaching job isn't there.

9 minutes ago, LOBOFAN84 said:

And this is what some of those East Texas coaches would say: "SHOW ME THE MONEY".

The TISD poop show needs an overhaul from top to bottom, AD on down. Scrap it and start over. There is SOOOO much talent in Tyler and no one has figured out how to get the best out of or the best FOR those athletes. (I even mean the ones that are not on the roster but should be.) Tyler should be close to top most years, instead of the other way around. It has to be someone that has turned a program around and not someone that is just out of college or worked under existing coaches all their career. Just my .02 worth. 

I have been saying the ad to. But I doubt he leaves or gets fired. He's friends with the superintendent. I believe they went to college together. That's how he got the job in the first place. He didn't have any experience as a ad. He was a golf coach at Baylor. 

5 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

personally I could care less what he looks like. But tell me the last time JT had a coach that was another color?  That's all I'm saying. 

I'm sure thats the goal, but you take whatever is available to pay the bills, especially if a head coaching job isn't there.

Late 80's early 90's.

I understand you have to take what's available. But he would have a hard time accepting that. I'm quite sure when he got into coaching. His goal was to be a head coach. And he deserves another chance somewhere else. Just not here. He ran his course already. 

Edited by VonG
  • Like 1

Yeah, Tyler is a mess. I thought Lufkin was bad off, but after Friday I see now some folks have bigger issues lol.. Maybe Lufkin is just more talented right now than Tyler. The effort from the players wasn’t even there at times. Which, at this point with how the season has gone, I’m sure they are just mentally and physically exhausted. Some teams check out, especially those that lack in coaching. Lufkin checked out early last season. I really expected Lufkin to roll over and die this past Friday especially after that meltdown up in McKinney. However, we did start out very flat. Cujo is just so bad we had enough time to get going before they actually could lol. Every day I wake up and wonder why people at the top don’t want to make a change. I’m speaking on Tyler and Lufkin both. Just blows my mind. Idk about Tyler but Lufkin just hinges their decision on past success and waits for a team full of D1 talent to come along to have any type of relevancy. This years team had a ton of potential. They really can play good football at times, not Longview good, but good enough to win a couple playoff games imo. Coaching does and will always continue to hold this program back until change is made. Even then, I’m terrified of what the admin would do to replace quick 🥴

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

Hey man, it happens 🤷🏽

Has a coach ever taken a demotion at their current position? I know Head Coaches get fired and go become coordinators elsewhere. Have even come back and coached at the same institution years later. But have they ever taken a coordinator job at the school they were employed at previously?

Coaching is all about being a great fit for the community. I coach from a great program can fail at a new school if it is not a good fit. Dicus lead Lake Travis to the promise land and was a complete failure at Duncanville. Dodge upgraded Marble Falls offense but very little else. A athletic director has three options. Lure a great coach from a similar program to his school, identify a current assistant  on the staff and promote him or find a assistant on a successful program and bring him in. I just knew Dodge at Westlake and Samples at Duncanville were going to work because they were great fits. If Surrat ever came to Longview you know that would work. Mathis at Marshall was just a bad fit. I knew he would be back to the big city as soon as he could (regardless what he was telling Marshall fans). A program like Skyline will never regain it's status unless they get a established coach who inner city kids want to play for. That is not likely to happen as long as SOC remains a D1 factory. Katy has to hire a internal guy because no one outside the program can do what they do. Coach Holmes has done great things for JT but it is time both parties to move on from each other. I will never say he sucks as a coach because he has put together some great teams. His time at JT has simply come and gone. JT needs a coach who is familiar with the area and kids want to play for. This will get the participation numbers up and energize the program. A east Texas guy would be their best option. It's up to the AD to find such a person. There is too much talent in Tyler to be what they are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VonG said:

I have been saying the ad to. But I doubt he leaves or gets fired. He's friends with the superintendent. I believe they went to college together. That's how he got the job in the first place. He didn't have any experience as a ad. He was a golf coach at Baylor. 

100% the truth. I've coached 9+ years now and can say Greg Priest is the worst AD I've ever had. He isn't going anywhere since him and Crawford and best buddies, but Helen Keller knew hiring a dude that is clueless about football to be an AD probably wasn't the smartest idea (even if he went to BU)

I think it would be a good idea to look out of state and see what happens.  If I were either one, especially Tyler, I would look at Buck James from Bryant, Ark. He is about to win his 5th straight state title in their largest classification.  Runs a good balanced offense with solid defensive scheme.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VonG said:

He is most definitely part of the problem! 

6 hours ago, VonG said:

That will never happen. Coach Holmes would never take another position other than the head coach at JT. Pride won't let him do it. Once you become a head coach it's hard to step down into a DC or whatever roll. I been calling all the shots and now you want me to demote myself and have to answer to someone. 💩 no.

Coach berry was hc at gladewater before returned to Longview as DC 

32 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I think it would be a good idea to look out of state and see what happens.  If I were either one, especially Tyler, I would look at Buck James from Bryant, Ark. He is about to win his 5th straight state title in their largest classification.  Runs a good balanced offense with solid defensive scheme.

Why would he leave ark where he guaranteed to win state yearly with that weak competition.15 teams total in all of 7a over there so 1-10 can go to 0-10 and still be top 15 in ark 7a ?😅

1 hour ago, kingwolf said:

He has those Hornets playing at such a high level every night. Fantastic coach, no doubt. We were lucky to beat them last season.

• Like 1