Nacogdoches (1-8, 1-4) Vs Marshall (4-4, 2-2)

Mavchamp

Nacogdoches Vs Marshall   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Nac in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Nac in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

RETIREDFAN1
This post was recognized by RETIREDFAN1!

Mavchamp was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 5 points.

naclogonew.pngVs. MARSHALLMAVERICKLOGO22.png

I’m out of town.  I’ll get the good stuff posted tomorrow I hope. 

Marshall can clinch a playoff spot with a win and still has a shot at hosting a playoff game with the showdown Vs Whitehouse remaining. 

But Nac first. 

They shocked Whitehouse and gave Texas High all they wanted.  No gimmie. 

https://www.marshallmavericks.net/gameday

Bad part is you don't know which Dragon team will show up the one that upset Whitehouse and took Texas High to the brink or the one that got blown out by PT and MP.

Dare I say Nac is turning things around at home. Nacs 3 best games have been played at home this year all of their blowouts have been on the road. Too bad this one is on the road. 

I think if you had told Mav fans that we'd be (4-4, 2-2) and in fourth place back in the summer....people probably would have been pretty disappointed. 

But amazingly.... things are really upbeat around the program.  Yeah....we've struggled at times this season.  it's even been ugly on occasion.  In spite of all that.... there is a general positivity that we're building and headed in the right direction.

This is a new offensive and defensive system we have...and it hasn't been easy transitioning.  Lots of growing pains.  In spite of all that....here we are...still in the playoff race.  Still have a shot at the #2 seed.

Jack Alvarez is building something....and he's committed to staying long term....something we've desperately been needing and lacking.

(4-4) is disappointing.  But if we can clinch this Friday against Nac....I think that lessens somewhat.  If we get the win over WH next week...I think that disappointment dries up completely.

But if we finish 5-5....or 6-4 this regular season...... with the hope  of big things in the future.....I'll take it.

But for now... BEAT NAC.

• Like 1

Nac has cancelled the JV game. 

The forfeit will improve the Mav JV to (6-2) overall and (5-0) in district play.

I honestly can't remember the last time Marshall JV won a district title.  Years.  YEARS.  Maybe since Harris was here..... but don't quote me.

We've had several district titles at the freshman level through the years....but the JV generally has its best players moved to varsity leaving it pretty weak.

Coach Alvarez is not only at the freshman and JV games.... he's on the sidelines coaching the kids while the other coaches are doing their thing.  Never seen a varsity coach do that.  Seems to be paying off.

Freshman teams have been meh...but huge numbers turning out.

9th A team is (2-5-1).  (1-2-1) in district.  They have really struggled since they lost their RB-1 to injury.  Pretty sure that kid will be on varsity next season.

9th B team is (3-3-1).  (2-1-1) in district.  Very hit or miss group.  But they are gritty.  Won some really close tough grind-it-out games.

55 minutes ago, Mojo1000 said:

I assume this is for pride for Nac and seeding for Marshall right? I bet they’re some ridiculous scenarios lol.

Mathematically I believe everyone is still technically alive for the playoffs, but Nacs chances are on life support. To be honest not sure I would want Nac to get in at this point just to get slaughtered by Lovejoy. I would much rather we move on to basketball. 

17 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Mathematically I believe everyone is still technically alive for the playoffs, but Nacs chances are on life support. To be honest not sure I would want Nac to get in at this point just to get slaughtered by Lovejoy. I would much rather we move on to basketball. 

I felt that. Kudos to admitting that.

RAIN AND MUD!!!!????

28 years ago almost to the date 10-21-94. 

Marshall and Nac played in the Mud Bowl at Maverick Stadium. 

A severe thunderstorm knocked out the power and delayed the game for almost 2.5 hours.

It finally resumed at nearly 11 and wasn’t finished until after midnight. 

Won't be any mud this time around....but.... all this talk reminded me of this game.

Click on the image to make it bigger to read.  Good stuff.

Marshall advanced to the region semi-finals in 1994 before losing to Lake Highlands.

01E0D757-2A67-4F3A-A655-F7F8D1CFB996.jpeg

Marshall leading 21-3 at halftime.  

Mav offense had a slow start.   Punted on their first three possessions.  

Nac has moved the ball well between the 20s. But struggled in the red zone.  

Marshall wii receive.  Hopefully put it away on the first possession 

11 minutes ago, missionimpossible said:

Watching this district this year, it is clear to me that this maybe the weakest it has been in many years. Really have not seen a good team in this district this year. The 4A division 1 district in east Texas is so much better. It’s a shame how weak it is this year. 

The inability of getting passed the first round has been terrible for East Texas 5a. Perception is bad . Hopefully more is come and at least they’re respectful.

Texas, Hallsville, Whitehouse , & Marshall. Good but certainly not great.

Nac had some underclassmen that really showed some talent IMHO. 

Obviously 2022 didn’t go as planned for them…. And who knows what’s coming in the offseason…. But they have some studs coming back if they can pull it all together.

I definitely saw a lot of potential for the Dragons.