***Week 10: Alto Yellowjackets (5-3 | 2-1) @ Cushing Bearkats (6-2 | 2-1) - Friday | 5:00 p.m.***

StingEmALTO

Alto @ Cushing  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/29/2022 at 12:00 AM

6 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I’m shocked at seeing that Cushing beat Alto in 1992. That was in the midst of one of those runs where Alto was dominant. 

Alto won that district that year.  Cushing wasn’t bad… they had Ed Smith coaching them and he was old School for sure.

On 10/22/2022 at 12:41 PM, StingEmALTO said:

The Alto Yellowjackets will travel to Cushing this Friday to take on the Bearkats; kickoff is slated for 7:00 p.m. The Jackets and Bearkats have played a total of 24 times with Alto leading the series 20-4. The last game played between the two was in 2019 with a 61-0 Alto win. The Bearkats’ last win in the series was 24-23 in 1992.

The Mean Sting hung on to defeat Overton 32-29 Friday while the Bearkats defeated Tenaha 23-20 with a field goal as time expired. Both squads are 2-1 in district.

Results for the 2022 season thus far:

Shelbyville 48 - Alto 44
Alto 48 - West Sabine 22
Alto 22 - San Augustine 8
Garrison 28 - Alto 20
Alto 32 - Groveton 20
Alto 46 - Mount Enterprise 34
Tenaha 43 - Alto 42
Alto 32 - Overton 29

Cayuga 32 - Cushing 7
Cushing 34 - Deweyville 12
Cushing 16 - Union Grove 7
Cushing 57 - West Hardin 0
Cushing 23 - Colmesneil 20
Cushing 22 - Overton 15 (OT)
Carlisle 49 - Cushing 20
Cushing 23 - Tenaha 20

ALTO-CUSHING SERIES

All-Time Record for Alto:
     603 wins | 384 losses | 34 ties | 1,021 total games

All-Time Record for Cushing:
     260 wins | 474 losses | 9 ties | 743 total games

All-Time Series Record:
     Alto - 20 wins | Cushing - 4 wins

Alto’s longest winning streak vs. Cushing:
     13 wins in a row (1993-2019)

Cushing’s longest winning streak vs. Alto:
     2 wins in a row (1976-1977)

Current streak:  Alto 13 wins in a row (1993 - now)

Gonna be a battle in Cushing on Friday!  I expect a hard-fought game between both squads. I think our offense will be fine but our defense is going to have to tighten up. Should help getting two (possibly three) of our starters back. Our 3 losses are by a total of 13 points so I know we have it in us. Just have to execute! We know we are in for a fight. Cushing is solid and has proven that this season. Looking forward to this game!

21876E70-EC05-487E-8163-6F8997EB7184.jpeg

Where can I find these series records between teams?

8 minutes ago, HulaKat said:

Alto won that district that year.  Cushing wasn’t bad… they had Ed Smith coaching them and he was old School for sure.

If I remember correctly, that fumble happened with either time expiring or just a few seconds or minute left. I still remember which end of the football field it was on! 😂 Scoreboard end. 

7 minutes ago, HulaKat said:

Where can I find these series records between teams?

I use several resources including Bob Pearman (of Pearman Motor Company) in Alto who has kept extensive records through the years. He’ll fax me what he has and then we’ll compare and verify.

I use:

Lone Star Football Network: (not always complete but has lots of records)

http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?T=835&B=928&REC=13-1-0&S=

MaxPreps: (goes back to 2004 for Alto)

https://www.maxpreps.com/

Yearbooks on Flickr page for Stella Hill Memorial Library (Public library in Alto):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alto_library/albums

Texas High School Football History website: (historian Joe Lee Smith)

https://www.texashighschoolfootballhistory.com/won-loss_records

It’s cool that all of the Alto yearbooks are online. I’ve gone there a bunch to fill in because if it’s a good yearbook (history book), it will have those scores listed. Many do, some don’t. For instance, I know that Alto and Cushing must have played in 1971 because schools had already started doing the two-year alignments and had played in 1970 BUT that yearbook failed to list the scores. So I just left it off until maybe I can find out. Generally I will reach out to former players from those years or coaches to help fill in the blanks.

43 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

I use several resources including Bob Pearman (of Pearman Motor Company) in Alto who has kept extensive records through the years. He’ll fax me what he has and then we’ll compare and verify.

I use:

Lone Star Football Network: (not always complete but has lots of records)

http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?T=835&B=928&REC=13-1-0&S=

MaxPreps: (goes back to 2004 for Alto)

https://www.maxpreps.com/

Yearbooks on Flickr page for Stella Hill Memorial Library (Public library in Alto):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alto_library/albums

Texas High School Football History website: (historian Joe Lee Smith)

https://www.texashighschoolfootballhistory.com/won-loss_records

It’s cool that all of the Alto yearbooks are online. I’ve gone there a bunch to fill in because if it’s a good yearbook (history book), it will have those scores listed. Many do, some don’t. For instance, I know that Alto and Cushing must have played in 1971 because schools had already started doing the two-year alignments and had played in 1970 BUT that yearbook failed to list the scores. So I just left it off until maybe I can find out. Generally I will reach out to former players from those years or coaches to help fill in the blanks.

Awesome!  Thanks… yea I worked for Mr. Pearman about 9 months while I was going to SFA after Marine Corps days… great family and work atmosphere.

There are a lot of team vs. team records I’m interested in.  I used to go look through newspapers ( microfiche)at the library…that could be one place you may be able to find out about 1971.  SFA Library and Nacogdoches public Library, for sure, would have that Saturday morning recap of all the games.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, HulaKat said:

Awesome!  Thanks… yea I worked for Mr. Pearman about 9 months while I was going to SFA after Marine Corps days… great family and work atmosphere.

There are a lot of team vs. team records I’m interested in.  I used to go look through newspapers ( microfiche)at the library…that could be one place you may be able to find out about 1971.  SFA Library and Nacogdoches public Library, for sure, would have that Saturday morning recap of all the games.  

That’s a great idea! Cushing yearbook of 1972 might have it as well. 

Yep, Pearman family are good people. That’s cool about working for the dealership during that time. 👍 

20 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

As always I gotta go with my Dawgs from alto...good luck and stay safe in yalls last victory of the year.👀.   Lol 😂 

Hoping to follow the Indians’ lead on how to handle senior night! 😂 🤫 But let’s not get ahead of ourselves….got some Kats to play with first. Lol

2 minutes ago, GATA18 said:

I know Alto is always a competitor but I seen some tape on Cushing earlier this season they don't look bad! This game gonna be any good?

I think so. Cushing has been in every game they’ve played and won most of them. We have 3 losses: 1 by 4, 1 by 8, and 1 by 1. It’s 100% chance of rain on a muddy field. Heck, anything can happen.

Funny thing is last time we played over there in 2019 it was similar conditions. This time it might be a wee bit colder.

56 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

I think so. Cushing has been in every game they’ve played and won most of them. We have 3 losses: 1 by 4, 1 by 8, and 1 by 1. It’s 100% chance of rain on a muddy field. Heck, anything can happen.

Funny thing is last time we played over there in 2019 it was similar conditions. This time it might be a wee bit colder.

I hear ya man. They ain't gonna move it up to thursday? Our whole district is gonna be playing tomorrow night!

• StingEmALTO changed the title to ***Week 10: Alto Yellowjackets (5-3 | 2-1) @ Cushing Bearkats (6-2 | 2-1) - Friday | 5:00 p.m.***
  • upullinmychain featured this topic