Carthage versus Van

cowboyandchrist

Carthage @ Van  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest Tiger03lb
4 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

2015 La Vega in the semis - he would agree that Carthage wasn’t going to win that one.

Most coaches know going into a game whether they have a chance or not. 

4 hours ago, Mojo1000 said:

When the last District loss ? Heck when the last time Carthage worked for a win in the 4th quarter? Van always had a respectable program.

I think Van played them closer than anyone has in district the last time they hooked up in Van. 21-7 Dawgs. I'd be curious on the last loss in district,  I was thinking Hendo or CHill or somebody got them YEARS ago and then the Dawgs went and won state or something stupid like that! 

2 hours ago, Dawgs02 said:

Last district loss was back to back losses to Henderson and Kilgore in 2016. Finished 3rd in district if my memory serves me right and won a state title that year 

After the second of those 2 consecutive losses, the Bulldogs went on a 40-game winning streak.  Liberty Hill snapped that streak in the 2018 state semifinals.  Carthage then went on a 41-game winning streak before losing last year to China Spring. They are 90-2 since losing the first 2 district games in 2016.

Edited by BevBrownJr
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

5 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

After the second of those 2 consecutive losses, the Bulldogs went on a 40-game winning streak.  Liberty Hill snapped that streak in the 2018 state semifinals.  Carthage then went on a 41-game winning streak before losing last year to China Spring. They are 90-2 since losing the first 2 district games in 2016.

When you put it in that context, 90-2 in that span, that feels CRAZY! But awesome. Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trashyhound said:

I think Van played them closer than anyone has in district the last time they hooked up in Van. 21-7 Dawgs. I'd be curious on the last loss in district,  I was thinking Hendo or CHill or somebody got them YEARS ago and then the Dawgs went and won state or something stupid like that! 

Yea I was at that game.  The week coach Mac passed I believe.   

52 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

That's right, that was the week Carthage lost him. OC correct?

Yes, he was the Offensive Coordinator after Coach Chris Smith (Smitty) left for Southlake Carroll to work for Riley Dodge.  

Last month, Coach Mac was posthumously inducted into the Carthage High School Athletic Hall of Honor. He coached there for 37 years. 

Prior to his death, he was also inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fames of both his high school in Bridgeport, Connecticut, and his college, Angelo State University.  At the time of his induction into the latter, he was only the second basketball player ever so honored.

Full disclosure: Coach Mac was my brother-in-law.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

Yes, he was the Offensive Coordinator after Coach Chris Smith (Smitty) left for Southlake Carroll to work for Riley Dodge.  

Last month, Coach Mac was posthumously inducted into the Carthage High School Athletic Hall of Honor. He coached there for 37 years. 

Prior to his death, he was also inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fames of both his high school in Bridgeport, Connecticut, and his college, Angelo State University.  At the time of his induction into the latter, he was only the second basketball player ever so honored.

Full disclosure: Coach Mac was my brother-in-law.

That's awesome! Well deserved accolades! 

On 10/25/2022 at 11:03 AM, BevBrownJr said:

As is probably true at many high schools, Carthage's football program has had many significant contributions over the years from the sons of members of the coaching staff.  Under Coach Surratt, this has included the following:

Coach Mike Morgan - Anthony was a starter on 3 state championship teams (safety in 2008, QB in 2009 & 2010); Austin, now an all-conference baseball player at Panola College, started at safety on 2 state championship teams (2019 & 2020).

Coach James Foster - Camden was a starting linebacker in 2020 (a state championship year) & 2021.  I believe he is playing college football now.

Coach Charlie Tucker - His stepson was a starting offensive lineman who played on at least one state championship team...maybe 2.

Former Offensive Coordinator Kevin Davis - His son, Kason, was the starting QB on the 2016 state championship team, which was probably the most overachieving of the 8 Carthage state champions.  I recall that he later played baseball at Tyler Junior College.

Hiring good players in a important part of being successful....Coach Surratt is smart, he knows who to hire and what coach wouldn't want their son to play there?