Garrison (6-2, 3-1) @ San Augustine (0-8, 0-4)

The Wolf Den

Garrison @ San Augustine   

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

RETIREDFAN1
This post was recognized by RETIREDFAN1!

The Wolf Den was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

The San Augustine Wolves will host the Garrison Bulldogs in a district game on Friday. Since 2008 the Wolves have won this matchup 6 times to Garrison’s 11. The last time these teams faced each other was a 31-30 slug fest in Garrison’s favor.

SA is on a path to have their first winless season since 2009, whereas Garrison has been having an impressive season building upon their 4-5 2021 record where they made the playoffs and lost to Hawkins 31-20.

San Augustine will be led on the field by Freshman QB Ty Cartwright who has shown impressive athleticism along with a few accurate deep balls. Surrounding him will be the teams leading receiver Senior Jamarion Henderson who is having his breakout year and Soph RB Kymron Davis and Freshman RB Andrew Nash who have both logged impressive games. On the defensive side you have Junior LB Alex Haskins who has been all over the field making tons of plays and Junior S Demarion Teagle making plenty open field tackles. They’re coming off a 46-59 loss to Shelbyville.

For Garrison Junior QB Brayden Davidson will lead an offense on a hot streak coming off a 56-8 win against Grapeland last week and a 64-34 win in Shelbyville the week before. He has thrown for over 500 yards with an 11-1 TD to INT ratio. But they are a run heavy team led by Juniors Omarion Raspberry and Javien Black. Raspberry is averaging 9.3 yards per carry to the tune of 900 yards. Black has 580. Familiar names lead their defense as well with Brayden Davidson leading the way with 95 tackles 10 tfl and a sack from the LB position, and Javien Black with 64 tackles, 10 tfl, and 3 sacks.

These teams always play each other hard and with a lot of passion. Will the Wolves be able to capture their first win of the season or will Garrison continue their impressive stretch into the playoffs?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lambo said:

I really hate to see SA down like this... I don't see them getting a W this week but hopefully next year they get back to classic Wolf form.

What has happened in SA? Is it just a few down classes, coaching, all of the above? I’m not trying to troll, just curious. They went from a solid, consisten R3 threat to bottom very quick.

5 hours ago, THEHARDWAY said:

What has happened in SA? Is it just a few down classes, coaching, all of the above? I’m not trying to troll, just curious. They went from a solid, consisten R3 threat to bottom very quick.

A combination I’d say. It’s still early in Barnes tenure and this year’s assistants are almost a fully new group except the secondary coach who is now the DC and a line coach. But many fans aren’t happy with the play calling. The last year we had Murr as AD was disappointing as well so you can’t pin all the blame on Barnes. It’s just been a down 3 years but there are some impressive athletes with plenty size coming up next year. SA’s real problem is that we have plenty athletes but none of them played much football and are still learning the game every week.

1 hour ago, WolfNation said:

A combination I’d say. It’s still early in Barnes tenure and this year’s assistants are almost a fully new group except the secondary coach who is now the DC and a line coach. But many fans aren’t happy with the play calling. The last year we had Murr as AD was disappointing as well so you can’t pin all the blame on Barnes. It’s just been a down 3 years but there are some impressive athletes with plenty size coming up next year. SA’s real problem is that we have plenty athletes but none of them played much football and are still learning the game every week.

That makes a lot of sense. I’m sure it will come around!

1 hour ago, WolfNation said:

I know there were some good-looking kids on the 8th grade team.

18 hours ago, WolfNation said:

The San Augustine Wolves will host the Garrison Bulldogs in a district game on Friday. Since 2008 the Wolves have won this matchup 6 times to Garrison’s 11. The last time these teams faced each other was a 31-30 slug fest in Garrison’s favor.

SA is on a path to have their first winless season since 2009, whereas Garrison has been having an impressive season building upon their 4-5 2021 record where they made the playoffs and lost to Hawkins 31-20.

San Augustine will be led on the field by Freshman QB Ty Cartwright who has shown impressive athleticism along with a few accurate deep balls. Surrounding him will be the teams leading receiver Senior Jamarion Henderson who is having his breakout year and Soph RB Kymron Davis and Freshman RB Andrew Nash who have both logged impressive games. On the defensive side you have Junior LB Alex Haskins who has been all over the field making tons of plays and Junior S Demarion Teagle making plenty open field tackles. They’re coming off a 46-59 loss to Shelbyville.

For Garrison Junior QB Brayden Davidson will lead an offense on a hot streak coming off a 56-8 win against Grapeland last week and a 64-34 win in Shelbyville the week before. He has thrown for over 500 yards with an 11-1 TD to INT ratio. But they are a run heavy team led by Juniors Omarion Raspberry and Javien Black. Raspberry is averaging 9.3 yards per carry to the tune of 900 yards. Black has 580. Familiar names lead their defense as well with Brayden Davidson leading the way with 95 tackles 10 tfl and a sack from the LB position, and Javien Black with 64 tackles, 10 tfl, and 3 sacks.

These teams always play each other hard and with a lot of passion. Will the Wolves be able to capture their first win of the season or will Garrison continue their impressive stretch into the playoffs?

Good write up but don’t see what’s impressive with Garrison.  I see them as average.  Really no quality wins and the loss to Warren is a head scratcher.  They will beat SA but there are a lot of below average teams in this district.  

Surely this will be Barnes last year with the reigns.  He was a terrible choice to start with and he's proved that in the last couple of years.  Head scratcher for sure when the board hired him unless this was their plan.  I've been confused ever since it was announced.

• Stinks 1

39 minutes ago, scd708 said:

Surely this will be Barnes last year with the reigns.  He was a terrible choice to start with and he's proved that in the last couple of years.  Head scratcher for sure when the board hired him unless this was their plan.  I've been confused ever since it was announced.

Barnes has been on staff here for 16 years. When Murr left he became the interim AD and during that time it seemed like he was the only person they were looking at, no idea if it was a legacy thing or what. Mrs Barnes is also integral to the girls program, leading this years volleyball team to be state ranked for the first time and undefeated district champs. I would be surprised if he got the boot this year.

30 minutes ago, TIMRIGGINS said:

Hate to see this out our SA I remember when they were balling and going undefeated during the regular season...It happens in small towns I just hate to see it. Good luck to you guy! Never like to see anybody go winless. 

They will beat Grapeland. 

2 hours ago, scd708 said:

Barnes is a great guy and was a great player.  Not that those are the reasons but he is the guy for the job there.

14 hours ago, Wolfman said:

Good write up but don’t see what’s impressive with Garrison.  I see them as average.  Really no quality wins and the loss to Warren is a head scratcher.  They will beat SA but there are a lot of below average teams in this district.  

It's not unusual for the 3rd and 4th place teams in our district to go a couple of rounds deep ... in fact, it happens more often than you would think ....