Most memorable games?

Lambo

With Joaquin stepping up huge and coming up just short of a monumental upset of the #1 ranked Timpson Bears on Friday Ive been doing a lot of thinking. What are some of the most memorable games for a program? Other than State Championships obviously.

That Joaquin/ Timpson game Friday night was one to remember. Other memorable games for me: 

Most recent: 2019 Area Playoff Joaquin vs Alto at Lufkin. For a couple of 2As playing in a 6A stadium, it was an incredible atmosphere that stayed loud and rowdy the whole game. This game featured probably the most unorthodox QB change in the history of football. After Joaquin lost starting center Blake Cummings to a broken hand in week 10, they moved starting QB Chandler Pritchett to center for the bi-district game against Shelbyville. Cummings was back for the Alto game, but the coaches elected to start Connor Bragg at QB. TB Gunner Nelson went out with a broken collarbone in the first quarter, forcing the Rams to move Bragg to his spot and insert Pritchett at QB. He connected with Bragg for a 63 yard TD early in the 4th quarter to ignite a comeback that ended with a 24-21 Ram victory. 

Great game that meant nothing: 2010 San Augustine at Joaquin non-district. The Rams went to the half down 32-8 with freshman Lance Lawson having to take over for an injured Will Vaughn at QB. Junior Kane Yates exploded for 4 second half TDs and Lawson added a 2 point conversion every time to pull off a 40-38 win in front of a rocking home crowd. 

Most dominant: 2009 Mt Enterprise at Joaquin. The Rams shut down future SMU RB Kevin Pope and ran the ball down the Wildcats’ throat enroute to a 28-6 victory that served as a springboard to a semifinal run. 

• Like 2

Another one is 2015 when Franklin beat East Bernard 10-7... kicked the game winning FG with 21 secs left to punch our first ticket to state in school history. I still get goosebumps when I hear how loud our side is after the kick.

Edited by lionpride08

For me it's always the nailbitters, upsets, or come from behind wins or losses that I remember, along with District Champship clinching Victories and Games that made school History. Also, all the area round defeats when i went thought Boles was pretty good after winning the District Championship, especially with the undeafted top ranked teams in 07 and 09 that averaged 30+ MOV. I also remember watching great atheletes like Stamford's James Washington, Cayuga's Traylon Shead, Boles' Joe Gilliard, Quinlan Ford's Kaiden Roden.

In 99, I Remember Boles nearly upsetting Wortham in week 9. Then winning thrillers vs Mildred and Mount Enterprise in the next two weeks to earn Boles' first UIL playoff berth and Victory just a few years into moving from Tapps-6 man to Tapps 11-man to UIL 11-man.

I remember Boles being 3 TD underdogs vs Wolfe City in '03 and being down 12-0 at the half before Winning 26-25 to stay undeafted in district. We went on to lose 41-6 in consecutive weeks to Celeste in the District Championship and Harleton in the playoffs, but atleast we were back in the playoffs after 3 down years in a row.

I remember Boles' 07 1A-D1 Area round loss to the "Maud Squad"(3 Lineman committed to TCU) after beating them in non-district and controlling the first half. I think it was Boles 21-7 at Half and then Boles' Gilliard returned the 2nd half opening kickoff for a TD but there was a block in the back 40 yards behind the play just before he crossed into the endzone. Maud's defense then stopped Boles at the Goal Line and drove all the way down the field to score. In 07, Boles had averaged nearly 420 rushing yards/game on 11.5 yards/rush and didn't really face any adversity all year.  The team was shell-shocked when things starting going against them and momentum had totally swung to Maud and they scored 35 unawsered to win 42-21 taking advantage of a few more Boles turnovers along the way. Maud went on to beat Cayuga and Tenaha before losing to Bremond in the state semi-finals.

In 08 I remember Gilliard breaking his Wrist in a non-district win over Simms Bowie and So. QB/DB Wallace and So. RB/DL Sutton stepping up to lead the team to their second of three in-a-row 10-0 regular seasons. Gilliard returned for the 1A-D1 playoffs and to lead the team to the State semi-finals for the only time in school History. Gilliard, while wearing a cast, rushed for 11 TDs and had 559 yards of offense and 2 Defensive Ints in the 3 playoff wins including scoring 34 of the 44 Boles points in a regional Victory over Collinsville alot playoff game vs Collinsville which i remember pretty well. Seymour. Semi-final game vs Canadian, who had Won the 2A-D2 Champship in 07 before dropping to 1A, was supposed to be a shootout, but the whole Boles team and fanbase was dejected after Gilliard broke his ankle making a tackle on Canadian's first drive. Boles still had its Thunder in So. All-State RB Sutton but couldn't keep up without their Lightning and best DB in Gilliard. Canadians Spread offense was unstoppable in a 68-27 Dominating win. The 27 points Boles scored was the most Canadian gave up all year even with losing to D2 Champ Stratford in district play. Yes both the D1 and the D2 Champ game from the same District that year after both dropped from 2A, because the highest enrollment playoff team from each District was placed D1 playoffs and other 2 went D2. 

In 2009 as Jr's, Wallace and Sutton lead Boles to their 3rd straight 10-0 regular season. Boles was ranked #1 in the state and looked to be on another collision course with  Canadian. The Week 10 game versus WC for the District Championship is very rememberable because Wallace hurt his knee and was hobbling around on one leg, but he gutted it out while Sutton put the team on his back carried the team to victory. I didn't even go to the 1st round playoff game Vs 5-5 Collinsville because it was supposed to be a  blowout. Collinsville was up 28-0 after the 1st quarter and went on to win 56-21. Collinsville then beat DeLeon before losing to Haskell in the D1 Quarters.

6 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

That Joaquin/ Timpson game Friday night was one to remember. Other memorable games for me: 

Most recent: 2019 Area Playoff Joaquin vs Alto at Lufkin. For a couple of 2As playing in a 6A stadium, it was an incredible atmosphere that stayed loud and rowdy the whole game. This game featured probably the most unorthodox QB change in the history of football. After Joaquin lost starting center Blake Cummings to a broken hand in week 10, they moved starting QB Chandler Pritchett to center for the bi-district game against Shelbyville. Cummings was back for the Alto game, but the coaches elected to start Connor Bragg at QB. TB Gunner Nelson went out with a broken collarbone in the first quarter, forcing the Rams to move Bragg to his spot and insert Pritchett at QB. He connected with Bragg for a 63 yard TD early in the 4th quarter to ignite a comeback that ended with a 24-21 Ram victory. 

Great game that meant nothing: 2010 San Augustine at Joaquin non-district. The Rams went to the half down 32-8 with freshman Lance Lawson having to take over for an injured Will Vaughn at QB. Junior Kane Yates exploded for 4 second half TDs and Lawson added a 2 point conversion every time to pull off a 40-38 win in front of a rocking home crowd. 

Most dominant: 2009 Mt Enterprise at Joaquin. The Rams shut down future SMU RB Kevin Pope and ran the ball down the Wildcats’ throat enroute to a 28-6 victory that served as a springboard to a semifinal run. 

If you enjoyed watching me play you could have just said that instead of typing those last 2 out 🤣🤣.

On 10/23/2022 at 7:50 AM, Lambo said:

What are some of the most memorable games for a program? Other than State Championships obviously.

Couple for us since King has taken over, just IMO...

2007 31-24 win over Lufkin - This is the day the program really switched on and hasn't really looked back since. 11-game losing streak to the Panthers coming in, Lobos jump out to a massive 28-0 lead. Pack starts crawling back to make it 28-24. Longview uses a 17-play, 8+ minute drive to completely drain the 4th quarter and walked away with a 31-24 win. Years of frustration ended just like that and it sprung forward a program that would see the State Quarterfinals, 2 State Finals and a State Semi-Final in the next four seasons imo.

2010 28-27 loss to Denton Guyer - Memorable for all the wrong reasons. State Semi-Finals, Lobos had defeated the Cats the last two seasons in 4A's Semi-Final only to meet once again in 5A. Guyer has a five turnover day. Longview was able to jump out to a 17-0 lead, held a 27-21 lead late in the game. Had the ball, could've run the clock all the way out but had a future NFL player at QB that was snapping the ball with 9-10-11 seconds left on the play clock in the final drive. Get stopped on 3rd down and forced to punt. Only to see Guyer block it, and then score the go ahead TD/PAT in the next two plays. One play away from going to 3 straight Finals. Beyond frustrating still to this day.

Feel like everyone knows about the amazing 2017 playoff encounter against Lufkin in the State Quarterfinals. But a near just as fun game was the week prior in the Regional Semis against Klein Collins. That was an extremely talented team that we went into McLane and faced off again. Undefeated, highly state ranked. Dominated almost everyone they faced that season. Nearly shut down our rushing game the entire day. But a sophomore  Haynes King threw for 160 and three scores to help the Lobos walk away with a 30-24 victory. Jaylin Brown played out of his mind that day.

Also wanted to mention that 2018 district win over Rockwall. We flat out could not stop Jaxon Smith-Njigba. He caught 13 balls, 289 yards on the night, three touchdowns. But thank goodness, he was all they had. Cause they could not stop us either. Kamden Perry had a field day. Longview had over 600 yards of offense. Just was a fantastic, offensive show down in Rockwall that night. Lobos walked away with a 42-35 victory en route to a state championship later that year. We didn't have many good district games that season, but that one, was one I'll always remember.

One more that was memorable for other reasons was the blow out victory over Sulphur Springs at Lobo Stadium in 2009. Longview had struggled to start the season, despite knocking off defending 5A D1 State Champion Allen in the first week of the season. Lobos never got going in a loss at Lufkin and followed it up with a trip to Grim that less than inspiring. Sulphur Springs still had not lost a game after winning state in 2008. Came into Lobo Stadium with the #4 ranking and high as a kite. Their fans were all over this board claiming they were going to dethrone the Lobos. Nascar offense was held to 67 yards passing in a complete trashing of the Wildcats, 45-0. That was also the night our DC and King got into a massive fight on the sidelines that saw the DC storm off the field in the middle of the second quarter. Lots of drama that night on and off the field lol.

Edited by LoboFan07
  • Like 1

Not sure what year it was but Hemphill was coming off the week before by beating Center pretty bad. I guess they thought that they  would just walk into Ram stadium and do the same thing.  To bad the Rams had other ideas Joaquin completely dominated the game, Hemphill had a big RB who was shutdown all night and because of that he got ejected for kicking a Joaquin player.  I hope someone can recall the year and final score.

22 minutes ago, ramsn03 said:

Not sure what year it was but Hemphill was coming off the week before by beating Center pretty bad. I guess they thought that they  would just walk into Ram stadium and do the same thing.  To bad the Rams had other ideas Joaquin completely dominated the game, Hemphill had a big RB who was shutdown all night and because of that he got ejected for kicking a Joaquin player.  I hope someone can recall the year and final score.

I looked it up for you, because I kinda remember that all happening also. 

It was the 2005 season and Hemphill beat Center 53-38 and the very next week Joaquin beat Hemphill 28-7. But the previous season in 2004 Hemphill put a whooping on both teams.

22 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I looked it up for you, because I kinda remember that all happening also. 

It was the 2005 season and Hemphill beat Center 53-38 and the very next week Joaquin beat Hemphill 28-7. But the previous season in 2004 Hemphill put a whooping on both teams.

Thanks for the info , I can't believe it was that long ago.

• Like 1

1983 Daingerfield 51, Gladewater  0

Gladewater was a great team led by a tremondous Coach.

Daingerfield was so dominat in every aspect of the game.

Not sure the undefeated Bears ever made  a 1st down, much less cross midfield

1984 Daingerfield 27, Gladewater  27

Daingerfield vs. Gladewater 1984 (Tyler Rose Stadium)

Quarterfinal playoff game

Daingerfield blocked a kick with 17 seconds remaining to preserve a 27-27 tie.

Daingerfield was declared the winner based on penetrations, six penetrations to Gladewater's five.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I remember that San Augustine game well you could feel it happening.  I saw the most amazing showing of leadership that night, it was probably early in the 4th quarter. When Tyler McSwain who was injured at that point in the season gathered many of the players together on the sidelines and talked with them for a good long time. I so wish I knew what he said.  I can't remember if this happened just once ora couple of times.  But what a comeback it was.