Most memorable games?

Lambo

2 hours ago, iRockNewbzz said:

To me, since I was in HS, that '04 state playoff game between Lufkin and Southlake Carroll was memorable because that was the 1st time I had been to a game of the biggest classification of football with my Dad. I think Lufkin jumped out to a lead in 1st half but then Southlake scored something like 30 unanswered but I remember turning to my Dad and sayin' "Dad, are dudes supposed to be that big and that quick?!?" Definitely miss going to games with Dad.

They had a good one two years before that too. Lufkin was up something like 30-14 in the 2nd half. Back before offenses lit up the scoreboard, that was a huge deficit. But SLC came back and tied it late in the 4th and intercepted a Lufkin pass to kick a game winning FG.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, country said:

1983 Daingerfield 51, Gladewater  0

Gladewater was a great team led by a tremondous Coach.

Daingerfield was so dominat in every aspect of the game.

Not sure the undefeated Bears ever made  a 1st down, much less cross midfield

1984 Daingerfield 27, Gladewater  27

Daingerfield vs. Gladewater 1984 (Tyler Rose Stadium)

Quarterfinal playoff game

Daingerfield blocked a kick with 17 seconds remaining to preserve a 27-27 tie.

Daingerfield was declared the winner based on penetrations, six penetrations to Gladewater's five.

That 84 game I need oxygen after game. 

For me, it would probably have to be the trio of games of Longview against Evangel with an emphasis on the win in 2002. That game REALLY showed that Longview had turned a corner and would be a dangerous team again under Collins/King. That and beating undefeated Garland 45-0 in the playoffs. Huge win for the program. 

Evangel was #2 in the nation according to USA Today, led by John David Booty at QB. Longview scored two first quarter TDs on runs by Joel Armstrong and scored a long TD by Sophomore Malcolm Kelly but Evangel scored right back time and time again, eventually going ahead 28-21. In the 4th quarter, Longview got a big 4th down stop on the Evangel 35 and on 3rd and 17 threw a screen pass to backup fullback Chris Jones who scored to tie it. Longview got an interception in the 4th and kicked a FG to win 31-28. I've never seen our coaching staff celebrate the way they did that night. 

The next year, the two teams played at Independence Stadium  due to about 23,000 people attending the game. Again, Evangel was ranked #2 in the nation and was supposed to stroll through their schedule which would culminate with a face off against #1 Concord De La Salle in a sort of "national title game", put on by ESPN. Longview scored twice but again Evangel came back. A poor call by officials gave Evangel a fumble recovery for a TD and a 26-14 lead at half. Longview's tailback Jerrel Williams scored 3 times in the second half and Longview got an interception return for a TD to ice it 43-26, spoiling ESPN's hopes of a national title game. This game showed that the 02 Longview win over ECA wasn't a fluke. 

In 04, the hype wasn't as big. Longview sputtered on offense all game while Evangel moved up and down the field but couldn't quite get in the end zone. The teams were tied 14-14 at halftime and Longview took the lead after a big interception return in the 3rd. But Evangel scored with 2 minutes left in the game to go to overtime. In overtime, Evangel got an easy first down but then fumbled and Longview recovered. Longview lost yards on their possession but were able to kick a long FG to escape with a 24-21 win. While it didn't do much for the direction of the program, the 04 team just found ways to win every week and this was a preview of that. 

Edited by JohnnyFootball

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

For me, it would probably have to be the trio of games of Longview against Evangel with an emphasis on the win in 2002. That game REALLY showed that Longview had turned a corner and would be a dangerous team again under Collins/King. That and beating undefeated Garland 45-0 in the playoffs. Huge win for the program. 

Evangel was #2 in the nation according to USA Today, led by John David Booty at QB. Longview scored two first quarter TDs on runs by Joel Armstrong and scored a long TD by Sophomore Malcolm Kelly but Evangel scored right back time and time again, eventually going ahead 28-21. In the 4th quarter, Longview got a big 4th down stop on the Evangel 35 and on 3rd and 17 threw a screen pass to backup fullback Chris Jones who scored to tie it. Longview got an interception in the 4th and kicked a FG to win 31-28. I've never seen our coaching staff celebrate the way they did that night. 

The next year, the two teams played at Independence Stadium  due to about 23,000 people attending the game. Again, Evangel was ranked #2 in the nation and was supposed to stroll through their schedule which would culminate with a face off against #1 Concord De La Salle in a sort of "national title game", put on by ESPN. Longview scored twice but again Evangel came back. A poor call by officials gave Evangel a fumble recovery for a TD and a 26-14 lead at half. Longview's tailback Jerrel Williams scored 3 times in the second half and Longview got an interception return for a TD to ice it 43-26, spoiling ESPN's hopes of a national title game. This game showed that the 02 Longview win over ECA wasn't a fluke. 

In 04, the hype wasn't as big. Longview sputtered on offense all game while Evangel moved up and down the field but couldn't quite get in the end zone. The teams were tied 14-14 at halftime and Longview took the lead after a big interception return in the 3rd. But Evangel scored with 2 minutes left in the game to go to overtime. In overtime, Evangel got an easy first down but then fumbled and Longview recovered. Longview lost yards on their possession but were able to kick a long FG to escape with a 24-21 win. While it didn't do much for the direction of the program, the 04 team just found ways to win every week and this was a preview of that. 

Yesssss! Me and my dad went to that game at Independence Stadium where the Evangel guys were yelling fake snap cadence's and causing Longview OL to false start ALOT. Finally, penalties were throwing for Delay of Game and they quit that mess.

32 minutes ago, iRockNewbzz said:

Yesssss! Me and my dad went to that game at Independence Stadium where the Evangel guys were yelling fake snap cadence's and causing Longview OL to false start ALOT. Finally, penalties were throwing for Delay of Game and they quit that mess.

Yeeeahhh they were well known for their unsportsmanlike play. They hit after whistles, yelled racial slurs, taunted, etc. During that 03 game, I remember one of their linemen was blocking our Strong Safety, Gordon Freeman, well after the play was over. Like it was egregious. Gordon grabbed him and kneed him in the balls and he threw a punch at Gordon's facemask. Both players were ejected. Lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, iRockNewbzz said:

Yeah me and my wife were there too (brother in law played TE for Gilmer). If Mack went in for TD, was over but coaches told him to go down. Gets stuffed on 4th down, then it was the Kris Boyd show that drive to clinch it.

Damn I still didn't understand why they had him go down. Very bizarre 

8 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

Watched my first hs football game in 1972,North garland vs south garland I believe it was...

Interesting! I attended North Garland and played for them 9th and 10th grade before moving to Jacksonville in middle of 10th grade year. I watched them as well. Billy Don Hooks was one of the leading rushers in the state for North Garland in 1972. He was a beast. My sister was in the first graduating class for NG in 1973. Small world. :)

Just now, Matt said:

Interesting! I attended North Garland and played for them 9th and 10th grade before moving to Jacksonville in middle of 10th grade year. I watched them as well. Billy Don Hooks was one of the leading rushers in the state for North Garland in 1972. He was a beast. My sister was in the first graduating class for NG in 1973. Small world. :)

👍

16 hours ago, Jeffersondawgs96 said:

That Tenaha team was absolutely stacked!

Absolutely. That Logansport team too but they graduated their majority of starters and we got them the next year. They were athletic as anyone stout and looked like a college team compared to our squad. I was absolutely ecstatic we competed well with them.

Edited by Hayseed
  • Wow 1

On 10/24/2022 at 8:22 AM, TrumpisDump said:

Probably John Tyler and Plano East

JT vs PESH.  November 26, 1994.  Texas Stadium.

I was there.  I left with 3:00 left in the game and JT up 41-17.

PESH went up 44-41 with 24 seconds left.  JT returned the kickoff for a TD to win 48-44.  Greatest ending to any high school game in Texas history and I missed it because I had to get up early the next morning.  I think there were 48 combined points scored in the final 5 minutes of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

PESH went up 44-41 with 24 seconds left.  JT returned the kickoff for a TD to win 48-44.  Greatest ending to any high school game in Texas history and I missed it because I had to get up early the next morning.  I think there were 48 combined points scored in the final 5 minutes of the game.

Right? A lot of people forget that the game was a decent game before- it was 27-17 and PEHS was going in to score to make it 27-24, but they fumbled and JT returned it. Then returned the next offensive play for a TD to make it 41-17. Then PEHS scored 27 straight points. And then JT scored 7 on the KO return. Insane. 

10 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Definitely amazing finish to the game. Probably a lot of coaches that still have their kids watch the game tape. Shows how it is never to late to make a comeback and to keep playing hard. 4 straight Plano East Tds with 3 straight successful onside kicks in a little over 2 minutes game time. Then the game winning Kick return TD for John Tyler with less than 30 seconds left. 

As far as recent years go I vividly recall CC's battles with Garrison in 15,16, and 17  In 15 CC won 12-7 in the mudbowl at 
Garrison in a defensive slugfest. I strongly recall 16 and 17. Garrison was far bigger,stronger,athletic and just all around more talented than CC. In 16 the game was in Corrigan and they couldn't stop us, but likewise we couldn't stop them either! We went back and forth all game in a shootout. Late in the 4th with seconds remaining Garrison drives it all the way down to about our 30. They call a time out and bring on the kicker for roughly about a 40 yarder to try and send it to overtime. It had the distance! but was wide right We won 48-45 in a nail biter! 

Same deal in 17 Garrison was far more talented than us, everyone was calling for them to wipe us out and take us out of playoff contention. CC went to Garrison to take care of business that night we hit em in the mouth early and often, they were in a panic at how much we was staying with em! It was a pretty low scoring game. It's tied 14-14 with seconds remaining in the game Garrison has the ball at the 1 about to punch it in for the win. The QB was in the shotgun to run a QB dive up the middle and with it being the mudbowl as it always was in Garrison in early november he fumbled the snap and CC jumped on it. We go to overtime and It's the same deal. Garrison on the 1 about to punch it in and AGAIN fumbled shotgun snap and CC jumps on it! They stop us on our possesion and then take it down and score. It's 21-14 CC is down we got to take it and score or it's over. We drove it down and score to make it 21-20. CC goes for the win and runs pitch right on the 2 pt. conversion and we punch it in over the pylon CC wins 22-21 ! A crazy wild double overtime upset game. I'll never forget those battles!

• Thanks 1

Another memorable CC game was the regional round matchup between CC and Centerville in 2013. CC came out and played lights out ball in the first half. CC was up 22-0 at half. And then Centerville flipped a switch and came out in the second half and scored 20 unanswered. They lined up for the 2 pt. conversion to try and tie it up, they ran a little bootleg pass to the fullback and CC picked it off and took it from one endzone almost completely to the other all the way to Centerville's 1 yard line! We won that game 22-20 a classic showdown for sure. That win led us to the quarterfinal round matchup against Waskom where they beat us 24-22 on a botched 2 pt. conversion in a nail biter!

I also remember in 15 Trinity beating us in pre-district that year in Corrigan 34-20 i believe, and we drew them in the first round of the playoffs that year no one was giving us a shot whatsoever, we played in Woodville that night and routed Trinity 64-27! That led to our area round matchup against Dublin. Dublin was their district champ that year they had beaten Crawford for the first time in lord knows how many years that year and they were high stepping into that game against us talking about how bad they were gonna roll the 3 seed dogs. We showed up to Buffalo that night and we strip sixed em on the opening kickoff and that set the tone for the entire game. We scored nearly 80 points with a majority JV offense in the entire second half we beat em 78-35.

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:02 AM, iRockNewbzz said:

To me, since I was in HS, that '04 state playoff game between Lufkin and Southlake Carroll was memorable because that was the 1st time I had been to a game of the biggest classification of football with my Dad. I think Lufkin jumped out to a lead in 1st half but then Southlake scored something like 30 unanswered but I remember turning to my Dad and sayin' "Dad, are dudes supposed to be that big and that quick?!?" Definitely miss going to games with Dad.

That is what it’s all about man!

• Love 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:02 AM, iRockNewbzz said:

Lufkin also lost a nail bitter to south lake Carroll in 02!  Think it was like 33 to 30..  very good game as well!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

94 Atlanta and Jefferson in the playoffs.  Atlanta was down 21-3 at halftime and won 24-21.  Atlanta played for their first state championship that year and lost to Sealy.

03 Atlanta and Gilmer in the playoffs.  The last time Atlanta beat Gilmer and Atlanta's only football state championship.

On 10/26/2022 at 1:07 AM, HornetSenior said:

Definitely amazing finish to the game. Probably a lot of coaches that still have their kids watch the game tape. Shows how it is never to late to make a comeback and to keep playing hard. 4 straight Plano East Tds with 3 straight successful onside kicks in a little over 2 minutes game time. Then the game winning Kick return TD for John Tyler with less than 30 seconds left. 

I have seen alot of high school football games in my 60 years and no game comes close to the JT vs P East game.