Week Eleven: Longview vs West Mesquite

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-0, 6-0) vs West Mesquite Wranglers (3-6, 0-6)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • West Mesquite in a close one
    • West Mesquite in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/05/2022 at 12:30 AM

RETIREDFAN1
This post was recognized by RETIREDFAN1!

LoboFan07 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

longview.pngwestmesquite.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (9-0) VS WEST MESQUITE WRANGLERS (3-6)

DATE: Friday, November 4th, 2022
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
WEST MESQUITE BROADCAST: n/a
LONGVIEW LIVE STREAM: Longview Gameday
WEST MESQUITE LIVE STREAM: n/a

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 2-0-0 longview.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 2-0 lead when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at West Mesquite.
Longview has won the last two meetings with the Wranglers.
Longview is 1-0-0 all-time against West Mesquite at Lobo Stadium (new), with the Lobos winning the last meeting there.
The two schools have never played on November 4th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES:
09.23.2021 - Longview 56, West Mesquite 28 - Mesquite Memorial Stadium
10.23.2020 - Longview 49, West Mesquite 24 - Lobo Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW:
One more to go. That will be the motto for the Longview Lobos this week, as they head into the regular season finale against the West Mesquite Wranglers. A district championship clinch, a home playoff clinched, the Lobos need just one more victory to clinch the 12th perfect regular season in program history. Last week, the Lobos saw their game moved up a day to avoid potential rain and thunderstorms. Despite Tyler’s game plan of controlling the ball, and limiting the Lobos to just three possessions in the first half, Longview dominated their western rivals by a 42-3 scoreline. The win was Longview’s 6th in a row over the Lions, as the defense continued a dominant stretch of play in the second half. The Lobo defense has allowed just eight points the entire season in the second half, and exactly zero points in the fourth quarter of play. The offense gave up a fumble for a touchdown against North Mesquite to nearly double the output in the second half. For Longview’s defense, they have surrendered just 77 total points this season while scoring over 400. Longview’s Taylor Tatum hit the 1,000 mark with his 193 yard day against the Lions. His three touchdown day pushed him to 21 touchdowns on the season, good for 9th best in Lobo history in a single season, a feat even more impressive recognizing that Tatum did not play against North Mesquite at all. The Lobos return home to finish of the regular season to take on the Wranglers of West Mesquite in the third meet gin between the two programs. The Lobos and Wranglers first met in 2020, as the Lobos rolled over West 49-24 at Lobo Stadium. Last season’s meeting at Mesquite Memorial required a three touchdown day from Jalen Hale for the Lobos escape with the victory. Crazy to say a game that ended 56-28 is escaping, but the Lobos saw themselves led just 28-21 heading into the fourth quarter. Senior night for Longview has been a house of horrors for opponents. The Lobos are a perfect 18-0 all-time under head coach John King on senior night. The Lobos have not had a competitive game on senior night since 2011, when Longview defeated No. 3 ranked DeSoto, 23-21, on national television to clinch the district crown. John King, winners of 104 of 113 district contests in his career. The district title clinched is the 15th of his career, and 41st in Longview history. A 10-0 record would be the 5th time in his career to reach that mark. While Longview and West Mesquite don’t have a lot of history against one another, the Lobos and Mesquite ISD are very familiar. This will be the 48th meeting between the Lobos and Mesquite ISD all-time, with Longview holding a 40-7 in the previous 47 meetings. North Mesquite is the only Mesquite ISD program to have won at Lobo Stadium, and that was back in 1988.

WEEK TEN RESULTS FOR 7-5A DIVISION I:
Forney 20 McKinney North 6
Longview 42 Tyler 3
North Mesquite 15 Lancaster 43
West Mesquite 22 Lufkin 31

WEEK ELEVEN 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
McKinney North at North Mesquite (Thursday)
Tyler at Forney
Lancaster at Lufkin
West Mesquite at Longview

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS:
1st. Longview (9-0, 6-0)
2nd. Lancaster (7-2, 5-1)
3rd. Forney (6-3, 4-2)
4th. McKinney North (6-3, 3-3)
5th. Lufkin (5-3, 2-3)
6th. Tyler (2-7, 2-4)
7th. North Mesquite (2-7, 1-5)
8th. West Mesquite (3-6, 0-6)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW:
Last week - Baytown Sterling defeats Baytown Goose Creek Memorial, 22-14. Crosby defeats La Porte, 49-42. Port Arthur Memorial defeats Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill, 21-7. New Caney Porter defeats Baytown Lee, 28-7. Humble Kingwood Park was off.
This week - Baytown Sterling plays Baytown Lee. Crosby travels to Baytown Goose Creek Memorial. New Caney Porter travels to Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill. Port Arthur Memorial travels to Humble Kingwood Park. La Porte is off.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 9-0 (6-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (205-44 in 19 seasons) (Playoffs: 45-17)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 764-355-52 (Playoffs: 74-44-1)
Playoff Appearances: 47
Last Playoff Appearance: 2021, Class 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - at McKinney Boyd - Win 36-10
09.02 - vs Marshall - Win 48-11
09.09 - at Tyler Legacy - Win 69-0
09.16 - at Lufkin - Win 56-7
09.23 - vs Lancaster - Win 21-13
10.07 - vs Forney - Win 46-7
10.14 - at North Mesquite - Win 42-19
10.21 - vs McKinney North - Win 49-7
10.27 - at Tyler - Win 42-3
11.04 - vs West Mesquite

WEST MESQUITE WRANGLERS
Record: 3-6 (0-6)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: Frank Sandoval (6-23 in 2 seasons) (Playoffs: 0-0)
First Year of Football: 1982
All-Time Record: 205-220-3 (Playoffs: 8-12-0)
Playoff Appearances: 12
Last Playoff Appearance: 2016, 5A Division I Area Round
State Championships (0): None
State Championship Appearances (0): None
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - vs Dallas Kimball - Win 37-12
09.02 - v. Mesquite Poteet - Win 51-12
09.09 - at Fort Worth Chisholm Trail - Win 56-17
09.16 - vs Forney - Loss 43-14
09.23 - v. North Mesquite - Loss 30-24
10.06 - vs McKinney North - Loss 34-14
10.14 - at Tyler - Loss 21-0
10.21 - vs Lancaster - Loss 68-7
10.27 - at Lufkin - Loss 31-22
11.04 - at Longview

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: November 4th
In 1927, Leonard Ray registered six touchdowns to lead Longview to a 78-2 victory over Mineola at Fair Park. The Lobos rushed for 344 yards on the day, while holding to Mineola to a total of negative 30 yards.
In 1932, Longview knocked off Nacogdoches 13-9, at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1949, Sonny Jones rushed for two scores while Ronnie Lemmons hauled in a 54-yard scoring reception as the Lobos knocked off Tyler, 18-6, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1955, Lufkin’s Jerry Fuller and Longview’s Curtis Lemmonds each marked two scoring receptions but it was Lufkin who walked out of Panther Stadium with the 35-32 victory over the Lobos. Longview led 14-0 after the first quarter before Lufkin took the lead at 21-14 heading into the fourth.
In 1960, Jimmy Upson rushed in from a yard out while Gene Gunn hauled in a 14-yard reception for a score in a 14-0 Texas High victory over Longview at Lobo Stadium.
In 1966, Rodney Hill tallied three times while Steve Judy rushed in from four yards out in a 28-13 Longview victory over Texas High at Lobo Stadium. The Lobos rushed for 401 yards of offense on the night.
In 1983, in the lone district championship match up in the history of the two teams, the Lobos rallied on Charles Smith’s hands to bring home a 27-16 victory over cross town rival Pine Tree in an overflowed Pirate Stadium. Steve Blaschke added two field goals as Joe Johnson opened the scoring.
In 1988, in a situation that caused a non-district game to be the last game of the year, Longview’s Earnest Hunter rushed for three scoring touchdowns before Reggie Adams rushed in from 10-yards out with 33 seconds left to lift the Lobos to a 34-29 victory over Mesquite at Lobo Stadium. The Lobos rushed for 387 yards on the night.
In 1994, Cory Hutchings tallied the only Lobo touchdown on the night as Longview fell to Marshall, 34-14, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1995, Isaiah Stoker rushed in from a yard out to tie the game at 7-7 going into halftime before John Tyler awoke in the second half to lift the Lions to a 28-7 win over the Lobos at Rose Stadium. Four Lobo fumbles ended any hope of an upset on a Saturday afternoon in Tyler.
In 2005, in a game billed as the return of John Tyler, the Lobos quickly put to rest the talk that had happened all week from the Lions running out to a 28-0 halftime lead. David Robinson and Carlin Freeman each tallied twice for the Lobos in a 42-13 victory over Cujo at Lobo Stadium.
In 2016, Kendrevian White rushed for two scores while Jaylin Brown hauled in two receiving scores as the Lobos rolled over Mesquite, 62-7, at Lobo Stadium. Longview rolled up 595 yards of total offense while holding the Skeeters to 150 on the night.

lobohowl2.GIF

Edited by LoboFan07
  • Thanks 1

"Longview in a close one."  ;) 

But seriously...  lets just play clean, get the 2s and 3s some game-speed snaps, and wrap up the regular season without any additional injuries. I want Tutt to play the entire second half and to get at least 10 pass attempts. 

Y'all better bring a tissue for the annual "In The Air Tonight" Senior tribute video. 💚

• Like 3

Just now, LOL said:

I want Tutt to play the entire second half and to get at least 10 pass attempts.

lol if only. I'd be shocked if he had more than 3, if that.

I'm almost intrigued that they've brought Maverik up to the varsity already. Was fully suited up this week. I don't think he played JV last week vs Lufkin as well.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

lol if only. I'd be shocked if he had more than 3, if that.

I'm almost intrigued that they've brought Maverik up to the varsity already. Was fully suited up this week. I don't think he played JV last week vs Lufkin as well.

I was disappointed to see he wasn't on the field with the JV. That kid is impressive. On varsity, I doubt he would see any PT. I don't understand that move. He needs to be on the field, even if it is JV.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Five0pd310 said:

I was disappointed to see he wasn't on the field with the JV. That kid is impressive. On varsity, I doubt he would see any PT. I don't understand that move. He needs to be on the field, even if it is JV.

May not be confident in tutt? 🤷

• Confused 1
  • Roll Eyes 1

On 10/28/2022 at 8:06 AM, Five0pd310 said:

Seems they've been slowly but surely moving up key players from JV the past few weeks.

Maverick, Kason Brooks, Keiffer Doxey, couple of trench guys...

They already had 5-6 '25 guys on varsity. Boosie Washington and Brenden Reese should be familiar names.

Edited by ANTI
  • Like 4

First post updated.

Will update the Forney/North and Lancaster/North game when they're done.

Crosby came from behind with 37 seconds left to defeat La Porte, 49-42, tonight.

So Cougars at Lobo is all but locked in.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

Honestly irritated about this. I was going to watch Timberview on Thursday. But oh well...we will get this out of the way and maybe go watch Crosby play.

Had looked into flight directing me coming back to take me down to Houston to watch the Barbers Hill/New Caney Porter game, since that'll decide things (that Crosby game would be so worthless, GCM is horrendous). But then I looked at their forecast...man.

Thank goodness next week is looking nice at least.

• Like 2