Should 1st & 2nd host first round of playoffs

Lion1996

13 minutes ago, mightyeagle said:

Has anyone asked the kids. The kids would probaly love to play a playoff game.Even if it meant losing by 50,they got to play in a playoff game.

Ask the kid that was injured in a meaningless game, who will miss the rest of the playoffs or impact that teams chances going forward.

1 hour ago, trashyhound said:

Wouldn't tanking get you a tougher 1st round opponent?

Yes but I think some teams do it looking ahead at the 2nd round. If a district is usually much weaker (like 9-4A and 10-4A Division One) the 3rd seed is honestly a better road than the 2nd seed. I think most coaches are too competitive to do that, but it would take the temptation away!

For example - If Lindale can beat Vidor in the 1st round then they'll get the 1st place team from D12 (Houston ISD) or the 4th place team from D11 (Possibly Stafford or Bay City I think?)

Chapel Hill / Kilgore Loser will be 2nd place in our district. They will get El Campo (1st Place D12) in the 2nd round.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

Yes but I think some teams do it looking ahead at the 2nd round. If a district is usually much weaker (like 9-4A and 10-4A Division One) the 3rd seed is honestly a better road than the 2nd seed. I think most coaches are too competitive to do that, but it would take the temptation away!

For example - If Lindale can beat Vidor in the 1st round then they'll get the 1st place team from D12 (Houston ISD) or the 4th place team from D11 (Possibly Stafford or Bay City I think?)

Chapel Hill / Kilgore Loser will be 2nd place in our district. They will get El Campo (1st Place D12) in the 2nd round.

Gotcha.  

I agree more with Barry Switzer...."just win baby!"

• Like 1

So I have always been for the 3 team playoffs like we used to have. I did the math a for a few years and I can understand the argument for 4th seeds being in. As for the past 3-4 years that I have done the math, 4th place seeds have advanced 12-20% of the time from the first round. So I can see the argument for it. Of course it truly comes down to money. 

I am in agreement on the first place team getting home field in the first round. This gives the championship a little more meaning. I also like playoffs being neutral field so I am torn. 

There is arguments to be made on both sides. I am just love HS football honestly. 

Edited by jacketgrad06
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Some facilities are not great in the lower levels. It is better for all to play at a neutral site with a better set up.

I think some of the smaller schools would rather get that extra game of gate revenue instead of play a neutral site?  I don't know much about it, but I think the hosting facility/school gets to keep the ticket sales and also gets the concession revenues.  That can be some nice extra money for a small school, so they'd rather keep it at home.

A lot of this depends on who you ask. If you ask the teams that are always winning or competing for a district championship...they are probably in favor of the higher seed hosting.

If you ask the teams that are usually fighting just to get into the playoffs...they probably prefer a neutral site so that their kids can experience something different and so they don't have to drive all the way over to the other school for a whipping.

It's all about perspective really. There is no right or wrong way to handle it!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

Well said. I was just explaining this to some folks at church the other day. Lindale actually may have an "easier path" to the 3rd round than our runner up/2nd place team (CHill or Kilgore) because a 2nd round meeting with EL Campo awaits (as we found out last year). Last year in the first round, Columbia, the D12 4th place team beat North Forest, the D11 1st place team 65-18.............. WOW. So, if we can get past Vidor, which WILL BE TOUGH, then we will face either Bay City, Brazosport, Navasota or Stafford from D12 or Houston Washington from D11, who will be 10-0 after Friday. I'm not saying it's an easy game, just saying it's easier than the 2nd place team 9-4A's route because of El Campo. That's all. Every single team I have listed can beat Lindale if they don't take them seriously and play their tails off every snap. 

RETIREDFAN1
This post was recognized by RETIREDFAN1!

HearEmaGrowlin was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 5 points.

17 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

And for fans there's better places to eat......🤣😂

DUDE, 100% correct!

This has always been a byproduct of being a Carthage Bulldog fan.

Following the Dawgs throughout the playoffs over the years has been so great.

This is no joke, it’s given us more time with our families just in travel time to and from the games, but also over dinners before the games.

Following the Bulldogs has forced us to find new places to eat near the stadiums they’ve played at, spending the night in New Caney..

Following those Bulldogs around for sixteen years has been a way of life for us every fall.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jacketgrad06 said:

So I have always been for the 3 team playoffs like we used to have. I did the math a for a few years and I can understand the argument for 4th seeds being in. As for the past 3-4 years that I have done the math, 4th place seeds have advanced 12-20% of the time from the first round. So I can see the argument for it. Of course it truly comes down to money. 

I am in agreement on the first place team getting home field in the first round. This gives the championship a little more meaning. I also like playoffs being neutral field so I am torn. 

There is arguments to be made on both sides. I am just love HS football honestly. 

In some tough districts, some of the 3rd and 4th place teams are stronger than some of the 1st and 2nd place teams from weaker districts .... that's been true for our dstrict a few times over the years ....

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

In some tough districts, some of the 3rd and 4th place teams are stronger than some of the 1st and 2nd place teams from weaker districts .... that's been true for our dstrict a few times over the years ....

Sometime teams have players that were injured make it back in time to play in playoffs.

Happened to us once,finished fourt,played DC in round three and made it to regional championship.

Wierd things happen in hs football sometimes..js.

Of course I agree.  We (Franklin) had to flip with Groesbeck, a 4th place team at the time.  It should be rare that a District Champ should have to go on the road against a 4th place team.  

Although I can tell you in 2020, our District had the last 4 teams standing in the Region 3 rounds deep.  So in that case, you could make an argument for it I guess.  But again, it's a rarity.  

Edited by FeelTheGrowl

4 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

Sometime teams have players that were injured make it back in time to play in playoffs.

Happened to us once,finished fourt,played DC in round three and made it to regional championship.

Wierd things happen in hs football sometimes..js.

That happened to Garrison a couple of times a few years back ... we were the 4th seed and knocked off a 1st seed and went three rounds deep ...

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama