Hoops: UIL strips Duncanville of 2022 title.

Eagleborn

If the young man and his mom have any principles, they would return to state court and challenge this UIL ruling. They are the only ones who can help the school. I am usually in line with the UIL but this is retaliatory.

From the article:

“As a coach who wants to continue to coach,” Peavy asked the committee, “and this were to happen again, where I have a player that comes to me and says, ‘I have a court order that says my right have been violated,’ are you asking me to say, ‘no, the UIL says you can’t play, even though the judge says you can’?”

UIL deputy executive director Jamey Harrison responded: “That’s your choice, coach. Who you put in a game is your choice. You have players who are fully eligible, there are zero questions about their eligibility, who never see the court for you.”

Edited by kingwolf

35 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

If the young man and his mom have any principles, they would return to state court and challenge this UIL ruling. They are the only ones who can help the school. I am usually in line with the UIL but this is retaliatory.

From the article:

“As a coach who wants to continue to coach,” Peavy asked the committee, “and this were to happen again, where I have a player that comes to me and says, ‘I have a court order that says my right have been violated,’ are you asking me to say, ‘no, the UIL says you can’t play, even though the judge says you can’?”

UIL deputy executive director Jamey Harrison responded: “That’s your choice, coach. Who you put in a game is your choice. You have players who are fully eligible, there are zero questions about their eligibility, who never see the court for you.”

He’s living life in the SEC. Doubt he cares. 

It feels retaliatory, but the UIL is correct...we all knew that if they didnt win in court that the UIL would come back and take the title away...the Supreme Court threw it out so the TRO was no longer active, which means the UIL reverts back to their ruling, which in turn means they forfeit the games

Duncanville knew this going in, hell anyone who knew anything about the case knew it....they took a risk and it didnt work out....

• Thumbs Down 1

9 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

I also read that Duncaville Girls Basketball Coach was suspended for a yr for recruiting violations.

Maybe i am new school on this but UIL needs to stop all this recruiting crap. Don't they know this happens at a lmost every HS in Texas and across the country its the way it is now and we need to deal with it.

UIL should not be allowed to make a decision on where a kid goes to school for whatever reason.

If the parent is trying to better their lives or kids chances then F the UIL imo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

13 hours ago, MattStepp said:

It feels retaliatory, but the UIL is correct...we all knew that if they didnt win in court that the UIL would come back and take the title away...the Supreme Court threw it out so the TRO was no longer active, which means the UIL reverts back to their ruling, which in turn means they forfeit the games

Duncanville knew this going in, hell anyone who knew anything about the case knew it....they took a risk and it didnt work out....

If the Supreme Court threw it out then the player doesn't have any standing either.  Hard lesson learned.

Tough situation.  I believe in school choice, but the rules are designed to keep kids from moving for athletic purpose.  It was clearly ruled that he did.  It put the coach in a bad spot with the court order, but as was said above, we all knew how this was going to end.  And as the UIL said, you could have sat him yourself without any consequences (except losing).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allheartnoquit said:

Maybe i am new school on this but UIL needs to stop all this recruiting crap. Don't they know this happens at a lmost every HS in Texas and across the country its the way it is now and we need to deal with it.

UIL should not be allowed to make a decision on where a kid goes to school for whatever reason.

If the parent is trying to better their lives or kids chances then F the UIL imo

You don't want the Wild West. Just look at Oklahoma high school football right now.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Valhalla said:

You don't want the Wild West. Just look at Oklahoma high school football right now.

It would not turn into that......Maybe at the 5A-6A level but the best football in Texas is the lower classifications anyways imo and it wouldn't change anything because it is already going on.

Now that I think of it nothing would probably change in Texas just UIL would be out of it like they should.

Edited by Allheartnoquit
  • SMH 1

I have no problems with kids going to a bigger or better school for reasons of bettering themselves.

But if the coach or coaches start trying to get kids in there school for there program that's wrong.

We have alot of recruiting right here in east tx and they no who they are.UIL picks and choses.

• Like 1

I have found the UIL is very inconsistent in their punishments. This being about football and not subject at hand basketball. Example: Richland Springs a traditional power in what used to be known as 6 man (now 1A) coach was suspended for 3 years, but the Richland Springs football teams continues to march their way through the playoffs and possibly a State Championship run. In my eyes recruiting is an intentional act to be successful and win at all means.

21 minutes ago, Cowboys1970 said:

I have found the UIL is very inconsistent in their punishments. This being about football and not subject at hand basketball. Example: Richland Springs a traditional power in what used to be known as 6 man (now 1A) coach was suspended for 3 years, but the Richland Springs football teams continues to march their way through the playoffs and possibly a State Championship run. In my eyes recruiting is an intentional act to be successful and win at all means.

If parents want to move their kid to a better school/program UIL should not get in the way of them.

If coach A goes to 3 star athlete B house and says come to my program I will get you to college and the mom and dad agree then I see no wrong the parents have the ultimate decision. The coach can not force someone to move into their school.

UIL needs to stay out

Edited by Allheartnoquit
  • LOL! 1

1 minute ago, Allheartnoquit said:

If parents want to move their kid to a better school/program UIL should not get in the way of them.

If coach A goes to 3 star athelte B house and says come to my program I will get you to college and the mom and dad agree then I see no wrong the parents have the ultimate decision. The coach can not force someone to move into their school.

UIL needs to stay out

They can,  

They just can't play sports.  

The coach and the kid knew the rules when they did what they did. Now they can live with the consequences.  

Uil doesn't always get it right,  but at least attempting to maintain a sense of fairness is their purpose and I'm glad they punished Dville

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bordertown said:

I read the players mother was dating the coach, they were living with him, and the couple is still together. That seems to be going above the call to recruit a player. Unless there was another instance of recruiting, seems to be a harsh penalty for the coach. 

Maybe he thinks the kid will go to the NBA and hes riding it out for the big payoff!!!!

9 hours ago, Allheartnoquit said:

If coach A goes to 3 star athlete B house and says come to my program I will get you to college and the mom and dad agree then I see no wrong the parents have the ultimate decision. The coach can not force someone to move into their school.

UIL needs to stay out

The UIL does the bidding of the schools, the schools dont want open seasons for transfers, therefore the UIL enforces the rule as best they can. You may not like or agree w/the rule but its held up time and time again in court, saying the UIL needs to stay out is like saying the IRS doesn't need to audit taxes...far fetched at best

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MattStepp said:

The UIL does the bidding of the schools, the schools dont want open seasons for transfers, therefore the UIL enforces the rule as best they can. You may not like or agree w/the rule but its held up time and time again in court, saying the UIL needs to stay out is like saying the IRS doesn't need to audit taxes...far fetched at best

The IRS does not need to audit Taxes either but thats another story for a different topic lol.

IRS can kickk rocks also lol

1 minute ago, Allheartnoquit said:

The IRS does not need to audit Taxes either but thats another story for a different topic lol.

IRS can kickk rocks also lol

Agreed, but you can't just tell the IRS they aren't going to audit you.

If the rules aren't changed, you have to go by them even if you don't like them.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:06 AM, Allheartnoquit said:

UIL needs to stay out

UIL or not, it happens anyway.  Any great program in Texas (including East Texas) likely has several kids that transferred into the program. I read that Duncanville girls team has 5 new transfers this yr. They were double digit scorers from their previous school.