Games moving to Thursday 11-3-22

ttowngrad

5 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Again, how does lightning have anything to do with these kids? If anything, blame your generation for caring enough about kids to keep them away from danger.

Swear you’d be happier with your team playing in the rain and the Star player getting injured and ending his season instead of preventing the chance that it could happen the day prior in less likely circumstances.

Let's just put dresses on them and play touch football and not keep score ....

• LOL! 1

Or how about schools are now using more common sense when there is an alternative evening to play that would ensure better weather in all likelihood and allow more family and friends to attend?  Many kids will be playing their last game ever this week, why not give them and their families that chance to play/watch in weather that doesn't require sitting in rain like last week?   Plus the schools can make more money with better gate and concession sales.  It's not being a "wimp".

• SMH 1

2 minutes ago, GraysonFan said:

Or how about schools are now using more common sense when there is an alternative evening to play that would ensure better weather in all likelihood and allow more family and friends to attend?  Many kids will be playing their last game ever this week, why not give them and their families that chance to play/watch in weather that doesn't require sitting in rain like last week?   Plus the schools can make more money with better gate and concession sales.  It's not being a "wimp".

The soft generation ....

• Like 1

So coaches shouldn't try and put their programs in the best possible chance to be successful, both in current and future weeks, because old men on smoaky think that it makes them look soft, entitled, and weak? 

It is easy for us all to say what should and shouldn't happen from behind a keyboard. But the outcomes of the games do not effect us. They do affect them. They are the ones who have to answer questions about wins, losses, personnel, etc. They are the ones whose job security is determined by on the field success. They want their programs to have success. They aren't moving games because of the kids. THEY ARE MOVING GAMES FOR YOUR KIDS (grandkids, etc). They want them to be as successful as possible. 

Also it is kind of weird that you want them to run around in dresses. 

59 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

We are raising a couple of generations of people who want perfect conditions .... Improvise, overcome, adapt ... deal with the situation .... it builds character and teaches young people to deal with adversity in the world ....  

That's why they build them spoiled youngsters 60 million dollar stadiums in high school 👀

16 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

We are raising a couple of generations of people who want perfect conditions .... Improvise, overcome, adapt ... deal with the situation .... it builds character and teaches young people to deal with adversity in the world ....  

If there is a lightning strike within 10 miles or so per UIL rules (and basic human logic) kids aren't allowed to be outside playing for 30 minutes from the strike. Every strike within this radius resets the 30.  Per UIL rules a game can not be started after midnight. If the forecast is THUNDERstorms (big difference from rain from last week that still had lightning delay games), knowing the rules teams can make adjustments to get the game in. Week 11 noone wants to push it to Saturday. 

Stop making everything about a "soft generation". If having kids out in lightning is how "you did it in your day" maybe you and everyone else were just stupid. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SilkyJohnson said:

So coaches shouldn't try and put their programs in the best possible chance to be successful, both in current and future weeks, because old men on smoaky think that it makes them look soft, entitled, and weak? 

It is easy for us all to say what should and shouldn't happen from behind a keyboard. But the outcomes of the games do not effect us. They do affect them. They are the ones who have to answer questions about wins, losses, personnel, etc. They are the ones whose job security is determined by on the field success. They want their programs to have success. They aren't moving games because of the kids. THEY ARE MOVING GAMES FOR YOUR KIDS (grandkids, etc). They want them to be as successful as possible. 

This is why society has eroded to the situation we find ourselves in today .... Let kids go outside and play and get dirty, ride in the back of pickup trucks, grow up and face adversity and learn to overcome ... it builds character .... That way when they are out of school and have to face strugglers in life, they will be better prepared for it ... I understand what you all are saying about the "advantages" of moving the games to Saturday, but this should not be the norm ... 

• Like 1

Just now, KirtFalcon said:

This is why society has eroded to the situation we find ourselves in today .... Let kids go outside and play and get dirty, ride in the back of pickup trucks, grow up and face adversity and learn to overcome ... it builds character .... That way when they are out of school and have to face strugglers in life, they will be better prepared for it ... I understand what you all are saying about the "advantages" of moving the games to Saturday, but this should not be the norm ... 

I can live with that. 

1 minute ago, mrclean69 said:

If there is a lightning strike within 10 miles or so per UIL rules (and basic human logic) kids aren't allowed to be outside playing for 30 minutes from the strike. Every strike within this radius resets the 30.  Per UIL rules a game can not be started after midnight. If the forecast is THUNDERstorms (big difference from rain from last week that still had lightning delay games), knowing the rules teams can make adjustments to get the game in. Week 11 noone wants to push it to Saturday. 

Stop making everything about a "soft generation". If having kids out in lightning is how "you did it in your day" maybe you and everyone else were just stupid. 

If all that happens, then either finish late, or if you have to move it to Saturday ... it's not some "big storm" that's in the forecast ... at least try to play ... I think it's more about inconveniencing some of the fans that are afraid to get wet ... or lose an hour's sleep ....

I haven't read all of the comments but hass anyone mentioned the fact that these games Friday  are senior night for most home teams?  

This means dozens and dozens of parents on the field.  Parents of players, trainers, film crew, band, twirlers, drill team and more will be involved.   These parents have sacrificed a lot of time and money.  They deserve a night of good weather. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SilkyJohnson said:

Well, if you are gonna try to bring common sense into the conversation and ruin things for the rest of us.

• LOL! 2

Just now, bmoc said:

I haven't read all of the comments but hass anyone mentioned the fact that these games Friday  are senior night for most home teams?  

This means dozens and dozens of parents on the field.  Parents of players, trainers, film crew, band, twirlers, drill team and more will be involved.   These parents have sacrificed a lot of time and money.  They deserve a night of good weather. 

That wasn’t a valid argument last week…

1 minute ago, bmoc said:

Theres a big problem with all of us....thinking we DESERVE anything...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bmoc said:

My dad came to senior night, and I think it might have been raining ... I think it was cold too ... it was a hard night, but he came and wore my jersey ... I guess we could have waited for better weather when it wasn't raining and cold ... I think that generation had a lot more to overcome and was better off in the long run for it ... We played Hemphill one very cold night and it was sleeting and I got my thumbnail smashed ... it throbbed in the cold the whole game .... 

I also remember going to a few games in cold and wet weather in Illinois and Texas to see my sons play .... I prepared for it, by bundling up or wearing a rain slicker ... I even used some of those hand warmers and rubber boots to keep my feet dry ... they were great and memorable experiences ... we still talk about some of those games ....

I'm sorry, but I just don't get the "everything has to be perfect and 100% safe for us to participate" mentality ....

I really would hate for any of the people you mentioned to have to deal with the 50% possibility of inclement weather and possibility of getting wet ... that would really be a shame ....

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Is this really a reaction to rain in the forecast, or is rain just a convenient excuse to get an extra day of playoff preparation???

Originally it was probably more out of precaution from the forecast to keep from pushing games into Sat with a delay.  But after a couple games officially got rescheduled, any playoff bound team is not looking to allow their opponent an advantage with dry conditions and an extra day or two of prep for next week.

• SMH 1

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

It's amazing how this never seemed to be an issue for decades .... now every time we have a forecast of possible showers and thunderstorms panic seems to set in and the games are moved ..... God forbid we get a forecast of snow flurries or stronger than normal wind gusts ....

The rules about lighting have changed in the last decades. Not to mention lightning trackers are more advanced.  

You probably played in several games in the 50s that would not be allowed to go on right now.

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

Let's just put dresses on them and play touch football and not keep score ....

Or we can use our brains and see that it says 90% chance of storms (including that pesky thing call lightning that delays and cancels games) coming in around 8 pm Friday.

With said brains, we can reschedule and enjoy the atmosphere that is high school football… Bands, Crowds, etc. 

Or we could be “old school” and sit in metal bleachers Friday night, with the other dozen or so parents, during lightning delays wishing we had some football to watch. 

• Like 5
  • Roll Eyes 1

19 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The rules about lighting have changed in the last decades. Not to mention lightning trackers are more advanced.  

You probably played in several games in the 50s that would not be allowed to go on right now.

I played in a few inclement weather games in the late 60s/early 70s ... 😂