Games moving to Thursday 11-3-22

ttowngrad

1 hour ago, mightyeagle said:

If it's lightining 7 miles away play the game.But if it's lightning right over your head,then delay

And I don’t have a problem with this. I agree. But you will also notice people are saying “I don’t want to be at the game until midnight!”…….. oh the horror! That’s their real motivation. Get over yourself. Don’t go. I can promise you, these kids want to play and they want some games in rain. Our kids had a blast in the rain Friday night. They looked forward to it. And everything turned out OK. We had about a 40 minute delay. No big deal. I’m sure some of the folks who think HS football should be like an English horse jumping show with Thurston Howell III & Lovie didn’t care for it (yes, that was a Gilligans island reference!), or they’re just there to flex up on folks and it’s a social scene for them, but truthfully I don’t give 2 craps what those softies think. It’s about those kids and what they want and they mostly want to play some bad weather games, cause dangit - It’s fun! Unless they’re divas, then those girls in pads can shut up and ride the bench for that game. Let’s the men play. There’s room with the drill team in the stands ladies. Nuff said. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BoyzNdaHood said:

How you come to this? How's a disagreement on wether or not to play a game due to potentially bad weather get political? 

I don't want to get into any political debate in the football thread.  If you don't get the joke, I apologize.  Beto is about as Beta as they come.  I'll keep it to the political forum.

Sorry @RETIREDFAN1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SilkyJohnson said:

Imagine thinking the kids and adults supporting a tough game could be EVEN TOUGHER by playing in the rain!

I SAY FOOTBALL SHOULD EXCLUSIVELY BE PLAYED IN THUNDERSTORMS AND RAIN! There, now I am the toughest guy! 

I’m in favor of playing in a hailstorm. While under a tornado warning. 

• LOL! 1

51 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Y'all too sawfffft. We gotta lose all these helmets, pads, and landscaping. Back in my day we played "Kill the man with the ball." We didn't have any of this protective equipment, or clear grass fields. We played in vacant lots or cow pastures. You'd either get staph infection from the rebar and broken glass, or you'd be urinating down your leg to take care of the bull-nettle you'd run through every ten yards. We didn't need any refereeeeees or scoreboards or any sense of restraint. Flobble-de-flee! We'd knock the holy #### out each other, get broken bones and concussions that led to brain damage, then years later we'd act like morons on message boards! That's the way it was and WE LIKED IT! 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

2 hours ago, SilkyJohnson said:

So coaches shouldn't try and put their programs in the best possible chance to be successful, both in current and future weeks, because old men on smoaky think that it makes them look soft, entitled, and weak? 

It is easy for us all to say what should and shouldn't happen from behind a keyboard. But the outcomes of the games do not effect us. They do affect them. They are the ones who have to answer questions about wins, losses, personnel, etc. They are the ones whose job security is determined by on the field success. They want their programs to have success. They aren't moving games because of the kids. THEY ARE MOVING GAMES FOR YOUR KIDS (grandkids, etc). They want them to be as successful as possible. 

Also it is kind of weird that you want them to run around in dresses. 

I’m not old, just not soft. 

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

If all that happens, then either finish late, or if you have to move it to Saturday ... it's not some "big storm" that's in the forecast ... at least try to play ... I think it's more about inconveniencing some of the fans that are afraid to get wet ... or lose an hour's sleep ....

So your plan is to show up wait, literally in a thunderstorm to the point of moving it to Saturday. Go home. Come back Saturday. Instead of show up Thursday and play. How is the later more inconvenient? 

As said before, nobody wants a kid to die, but at the same time, you can only take safety so far without living at all.  We have to do things that aren't necessarily safe.  I agree we don't want to play in the lightning, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about not playing in the rain, not ruining mom's hair when she walks her senior on the field, not getting the band instruments wet.

We can't take all risk out of our lives!  There's another thread on this site about a kid recovering from a brain injury while playing high school football.  Injuries ARE going to happen.  The game was meant to be played in imperfect conditions.

Moving the games is the coach/superintendents decision.  If they think it's better for their program/kids/fans/band, then so be it, but y'all have to admit that we are doing more than just protecting kids from lightning with these moves.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

It's amazing how this never seemed to be an issue for decades .... now every time we have a forecast of possible showers and thunderstorms panic seems to set in and the games are moved ..... God forbid we get a forecast of snow flurries or stronger than normal wind gusts ....

There used to not be Karen’s. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

So your plan is to show up wait, literally in a thunderstorm to the point of moving it to Saturday. Go home. Come back Saturday. Instead of show up Thursday and play. How is the later more inconvenient? 

A lot of these games were scheduled for Friday with a 50%, or less chance of rain/storms .... what if thunderstorms pop up Thursday night?  .... what if the rain chances deminish? ...  what if the weatherman was wrong? .... what are the chances your worse case scenerio happens? .... how many games actually get cancelled due to thunderstorms? .... the weather for the Garrison area shows 48% chance of rain/storms after 10pm Friday night  .... I think  it’s overreacting to reschedule the game to Thursday .... the chances the "storm" would come early and the game have to be cancelled are minimal ....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

SO........ listen, I'm all for keeping everyone safe, but it's why we have the 7-mile lightning detection, and the delays and no umbrellas etc. etc. You simply can't avoid all risk. It's silly and soft. But hey, to each their own. If your husband won't let you go to a game in the rain, stay home.  

• Roll Eyes 1

34 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

A lot of these games were scheduled for Friday with a 50%, or less chance of rain/storms .... what if thunderstorms pop up Thursday night?  .... what if the rain chances deminish? ...  what if the weatherman was wrong? .... what are the chances your worse case scenerio happens? .... how many games actually get cancelled due to thunderstorms? .... the weather for the Garrison area shows 48% chance of rain/storms after 10pm Friday night  .... I think  it’s overreacting to reschedule the game to Thursday .... the chances the "storm" would come early and the game have to be cancelled are minimal ....

You're right old man you're smarter than every coach and every school district in East Texas. You're tougher too. 

If thunderstorms happen Thursday you're good for a normal week pushing it to Friday. If they happen Friday everyone gets playoff week cut into. So if we are dealing in your what ifs. Moving the game is still smarter than your "show up wait show up again scenario." 

• LOL! 1

39 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

You simply can't avoid all risk. It's silly and soft. 

Please show me the post where I expressed a desire to "avoid all risk."

You can't, because it doesn't exist.