Games moving to Thursday 11-3-22

ttowngrad

5 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I'm all out of cheese, you will just have to drink it straight ....

What’d you know about wine?  Boones Farm Strawberry Hill is probably the only wine you’ve had except MD 20-20.

:rofl: 

10 hours ago, Matt said:

The Pride Game Finale

85th meeting

Jacksonville at Henderson

Thursday, November 3, 7pm kickoff

I don't remember the exact year (circa before 2009), but the last Hendo-Jax game (with neither having anything to play for except Pride) held in the last week there were fifteen unsportsmanlike or late hits out of bounds in the FIRST HALF ... I left at halftime and told the ticket booth if I had paid for this ticket I would demand my money back ... my kin, coaching at Hendo at the time, found out Iater that I had left said, "I wish I had known you were leaving, I might have gone with you. I've never been so embarrassed as a coach."

Whomever is playing Carthage always refuses to reschedule to Thursday or Saturday HOPING it storms during the game.

Folks upset about teams rescheduling, Carthage never gets to reschedule.

Teams late in the playoffs don’t want to play us indoors either.

Numerous times we’ve had the opportunity to play at The Star and the opposing coach wanted us outside just in the hopes weather would hinder our offense.

All y’all get to change game days, while we’re always going to be forced to play in inclement weather by the opposing team. 

Oh well, Surratt always says anytime, anywhere.

20 hours ago, centex1 said:

Growing up a coaches kid and attending a game every Friday and being a ball boy on the sidelines I can tell you that I never remembered games getting delayed by lightning. Maybe they did but I don't remember you just played in the rain. The rain doesn't make teams cancel games it the chance of lightning and the delays of sitting around. Then another one hits and its 30 more mins and then its 30 more after that. Now its 10:00 and its the 2nd qtr and you have to go back out. Then it hits again and you have to come back on Saturday. When you could just move the game and have it be a normal game is the logic. I enjoy the rain games and a lot of kids do too. But that is the reasoning for it. Think back to when you were a player or watching your kids play. Did you ever had lightning delays? Cause I sure don't remember them if we did. 

man, in the 90s, we didn't care if it was lightning unless it was a flash bang where we felt in danger.  However, back then, a kid getting killed by negligence of the coaching staff ignoring weather signs didn't make national news or blow up Twitter.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DOB said:

I don't remember the exact year (circa before 2009), but the last Hendo-Jax game (with neither having anything to play for except Pride) held in the last week there were fifteen unsportsmanlike or late hits out of bounds in the FIRST HALF ... I left at halftime and told the ticket booth if I had paid for this ticket I would demand my money back ... my kin, coaching at Hendo at the time, found out Iater that I had left said, "I wish I had known you were leaving, I might have gone with you. I've never been so embarrassed as a coach."

Hmmmmm, I don't remember when that was . . . it wasn't 2009 because that was the 56-55 2OT thriller won by JAX at Henderson.

Edited by Matt

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

Hmmmmm, I don't remember when that was . . . it wasn't 2009 because that was the 56-55 2OT thriller won by JAX at Henderson.

Like I said, "circa before 2009" ... I remember that OT game ... I think it was the last time Jax beat Hendo.

22 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Whomever is playing Carthage always refuses to reschedule to Thursday or Saturday HOPING it storms during the game.

Folks upset about teams rescheduling, Carthage never gets to reschedule.

Teams late in the playoffs don’t want to play us indoors either.

Numerous times we’ve had the opportunity to play at The Star and the opposing coach wanted us outside just in the hopes weather would hinder our offense.

All y’all get to change game days, while we’re always going to be forced to play in inclement weather by the opposing team. 

Oh well, Surratt always says anytime, anywhere.

🥱

4 minutes ago, Crawford said:

🥱

Well, hey, everybody whining about folks moving games.

I’m just whining about not being able to move games.

Any other team and that same team that refused to move their game with us, they’d move it.

You know I’m only telling the truth.

I wanted to get in on the whine fest, that’s all!

Hahaha

50 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Well, hey, everybody whining about folks moving games.

I’m just whining about not being able to move games.

Any other team and that same team that refused to move their game with us, they’d move it.

You know I’m only telling the truth.

I wanted to get in on the whine fest, that’s all!

Hahaha

This is Carthage this week while everyone else is scrambling around moving games and going through 17 different playoff scenarios.

5361C37A-84F9-40E0-8E39-651635426981.jpeg

• Like 2
  • LOL! 2

Coach Rab
This post was recognized by Coach Rab!

JGlass was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 1 points.

I'm old school, but I don't have a problem with games being moved up, especially in this case.

1. Do the coaches want to play a game in conditions that could effect the game adversely if it can be avoided? No.

They don't want to practice and work all year for a slippery ball to decide the outcome!

2. Do the fans want to sit in the cold rain? No

3. For some schools, this is the last game and inclement weather would also keep the bands, majorettes, etc from performing. Does that matter to those kid's parents? Yes

4. Today's offenses are far better and more explosive. They are more fun to watch, period. The skills these kids have far surpassed what we had (or at least developed). So, why play in conditions that directly change that completely? It's the development of the game and it's better. Fact.

5. Safety first. Yes, when you can stay away from a storm, do so like you've got some sense. One freak accident like mentioned earlier and the entire night isn't worth it for anyone.

6. Does it cost each school $. Absolutely, many fans won't come. Some will watch it on-line, some will listen to it on the radio, and some will just do something else. Fact.

7. Why doesn't basketball play outside? Because weather conditions effect the game! Why doesn't baseball play in the rain? Because a wet ball effects the game and makes it dangerous. 

8. Besides, 'we did it when I played' (which wasn't smart), and they are soft now days (which isn't true, they are using common sense so they can use their skills they've worked so hard to develop), what are the other arguments? 

9. Turf fields were once frowned on by the 'Old School' guys like me. Now, we realize how much better they make the game. Kinda the same concept as playing in good conditions when possible!

10. Is there gamesmanship in some decisions to move games up. Yes, and I don't have a problem with allowing kids another day of rest or teams another day of prep.

Go Bears!

Edited by JGlass
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, JGlass said:

I'm old school, but I don't have a problem with games being moved up, especially in this case.

1. Do the coaches want to play a game in conditions that could effect the game adversely if it can be avoided? No.

They don't want to practice and work all year for a slippery ball to decide the outcome!

2. Do the fans want to sit in the cold rain? No

3. For some schools, this is the last game and inclement weather would also keep the bands, majorettes, etc from performing. Does that matter to those kid's parents? Yes

4. Today's offenses are far better and more explosive. They are more fun to watch, period. The skills these kids have far surpassed what we had (or at least developed). So, why play in conditions that directly change that completely? It's the development of the game and it's better. Fact.

5. Safety first. Yes, when you can stay away from a storm, do so like you've got some sense. One freak accident like mentioned earlier and the entire night isn't worth it for anyone.

6. Does it cost each school $. Absolutely, many fans won't come. Some will watch it on-line, some will listen to it on the radio, and some will just do something else. Fact.

7. Why doesn't basketball play outside? Because weather conditions effect the game! Why doesn't baseball play in the rain? Because a wet ball effects the game and makes it dangerous. 

8. Besides, 'we did it when I played' (which wasn't smart), and they are soft now days (which isn't true, they are using common sense so they can use their skills they've worked so hard to develop), what are the other arguments? 

9. Turf fields were once frowned on by the 'Old School' guys like me. Now, we realize how much better they make the game. Kinda the same concept as playing in good conditions when possible!

10. Is there gamesmanship in some decisions to move games up. Yes, and I don't have a problem with allowing kids another day of rest or teams another day of prep.

Go Bears!

I've been around more than 6 decades, so I'm definitely old school. I believe in a lot of ways we are softer than we used to be. My generation is definitely softer than my Dad's, so on and so forth. Really though, I was on the fence about this subject until I read your post but I'm gonna have to agree with you. Overall I hate change. Took me forever to get used to four playoff spots but now I like it. It means more games to watch! Maybe I'm just mellowing out in my old age. Well, maybe not. I'm stickin' to my guns on everything else! 🤣

Edited by Vandalman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vandalman said:

I've been around more than 6 decades, so I'm definitely old school. I believe in a lot of ways we are softer than we used to be. My generation is definitely softer than my Dad's, so on and so forth. Really though, I was on the fence about this subject until I read your post but I'm gonna have to agree with you. Overall I hate change. Took me forever to get used to four playoff spots but now I like it. It means more games to watch! Maybe I'm just mellowing out in my old age. Well, maybe not. I'm stickin' to my guns on everything else! 🤣

I agree!!

I didn’t say anything yesterday about people poopooing games moved, they are namby pamby, etc….

What do you all think now? I know someone who just lost their home an hour ago to a tornado. Always, always err on the side of safety especially when kids are on busses traveling. I’m old school, too, but the arguments to play tonight did not make sense to me. 

Edited by Matt
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

For those that end up playing the first round of the playoffs on Thursday, it was really smart to play last night…….2 extra days of recovery for players and 2 extra days of prep for the coaches could be the difference in winning or not. 

• Like 1

Entire towns wiped out (Powderly) 

Homes lost.  

How many tornadoes or severe storms tonight?  10?  15?

Yeah…. Having fans and students at a stadium with little to no shelter sounds brilliant.

Large buses filled with folks and Carvans in this stuff is a good idea.

Folks actually complained about rescheduling?

Seems like a bad take given the events of the evening. 

• Like 4