Jump to content

Games moving to Thursday 11-3-22


ttowngrad
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Bear9T1 said:

From what I’ve heard, it’s more of the possibility of lightning delays dragging the game out than dealing with rainy conditions.  Several teams last week had to end up playing the remainder of the game on Saturday.  Who the heck knows though, I loved playing on those rainy Friday nights! 

It's amazing how this never seemed to be an issue for decades .... now every time we have a forecast of possible showers and thunderstorms panic seems to set in and the games are moved ..... God forbid we get a forecast of snow flurries or stronger than normal wind gusts ....

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ace said:

Is this really a reaction to rain in the forecast, or is rain just a convenient excuse to get an extra day of playoff preparation???

I would not be opposed to all schools playing week 10 games on Thursday.  I’m all about the Friday Night Lights, but week 10 on Thursday gives wiggle room around weather, extra prep time for playoffs, and a clear projection of the next week for the fans, players, and coaches.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

It's amazing how this never seemed to be an issue for decades .... now every time we have a forecast of possible showers and thunderstorms panic seems to set in and the games are moved ..... God forbid we get a forecast of snow flurries or stronger than normal wind gusts ....

It’s only about the likelihood of delays.  30 minutes after the last strike within 7 miles.  If it hits etx at 7:30, you are talking about starting games at 9:00, finishing at midnight 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Early in the season I say let the game play out on a rainy day, if it's lightning etc then delay the game so many times then move to Saturday if both teams agree

If it's only rain then play the game, if forecast shows line of storms approaching at kickoffs, I have no problem with this move

But this late in the season when games determine playoff scenarios etc it's a no-brainer to try and get the best out of both teams by moving the game... JMO

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

It’s only about the likelihood of delays.  30 minutes after the last strike within 7 miles.  If it hits etx at 7:30, you are talking about starting games at 9:00, finishing at midnight 

We are raising a couple of generations of people who want perfect conditions .... Improvise, overcome, adapt ... deal with the situation .... it builds character and teaches young people to deal with adversity in the world ....  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Does anyone else think schools are overreacting to rain in the forecast?  I hope moving games doesn't become the norm, but it looks like it has already taken hold .... 

Extra day to prepare for playoff opponents (if it applies to you). Dry conditions, hate for an injury that could be avoided by playing early with better weather. It is only because it has been weeks 10 and 11. This stuff didn't happen weeks one and two. I get it if that is the reason. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

It's amazing how this never seemed to be an issue for decades .... now every time we have a forecast of possible showers and thunderstorms panic seems to set in and the games are moved ..... God forbid we get a forecast of snow flurries or stronger than normal wind gusts ....

Growing up a coaches kid and attending a game every Friday and being a ball boy on the sidelines I can tell you that I never remembered games getting delayed by lightning. Maybe they did but I don't remember you just played in the rain. The rain doesn't make teams cancel games it the chance of lightning and the delays of sitting around. Then another one hits and its 30 more mins and then its 30 more after that. Now its 10:00 and its the 2nd qtr and you have to go back out. Then it hits again and you have to come back on Saturday. When you could just move the game and have it be a normal game is the logic. I enjoy the rain games and a lot of kids do too. But that is the reasoning for it. Think back to when you were a player or watching your kids play. Did you ever had lightning delays? Cause I sure don't remember them if we did. 

Edited by centex1
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SilkyJohnson said:

Extra day to prepare for playoff opponents (if it applies to you). Dry conditions, hate for an injury that could be avoided by playing early with better weather. It is only because it has been weeks 10 and 11. This stuff didn't happen weeks one and two. I get it if that is the reason. 

That's not a good reason .... people need to learn to deal with adversity ... play the game when it's scheduled ... everybody gets the same amount of time to prepare for the playoffs .... Hope we don't get a freeze or a frost along the way ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

It's amazing how this never seemed to be an issue for decades .... now every time we have a forecast of possible showers and thunderstorms panic seems to set in and the games are moved ..... God forbid we get a forecast of snow flurries or stronger than normal wind gusts ....

I think we have taken the lightning to the extreme with todays technology.  Obviously nobody wants a kid to die, but we didn't have the ability to measure how close the lightning was back in the day.  If we saw it was close, we stopped.  Otherwise, we played in the rain!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

That's not a good reason .... people need to learn to deal with adversity ... play the game when it's scheduled ... everybody gets the same amount of time to prepare for the playoffs .... Hope we don't get a freeze or a frost along the way ....

image.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

We are raising a couple of generations of people who want perfect conditions .... Improvise, overcome, adapt ... deal with the situation .... it builds character and teaches young people to deal with adversity in the world ....  

They are overcoming the situation and adapting to it by having the games on Thursday. 

Of all things to really complain about, moving the games up a single day to avoid a thunderstorm that will either cancel games or push them to Saturday when playoffs are a week away is really something.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

I think we have taken the lightning to the extreme with todays technology.  Obviously nobody wants a kid to die, but we didn't have the ability to measure how close the lightning was back in the day.  If we saw it was close, we stopped.  Otherwise, we played in the rain!!!

Go tell that to the people of Grapeland. Any small chance of a strike is more than enough reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LoboFan07 said:

They are overcoming the situation and adapting to it by having the games on Thursday. 

Of all things to really complain about, moving the games up a single day to avoid a thunderstorm that will either cancel games or push them to Saturday when playoffs are a week away is really something.

Don't cancel the games or reschedule them to Saturday .... play them on Friday night like we have done for decades .... the forecast for many of the schools shows the rain/storms at less than 50% chance and for a lot of them the rain doesn't even arrive until late Friday night or early Saturday morning ....

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I'll take the self-reliant, vigilant, hard working, over comer generations over todays soft, entitled, want everything just right or I don't want to participate crowd, any day .... 😂

Again, how does lightning have anything to do with these kids? If anything, blame your generation for caring enough about kids to keep them away from danger.

Swear you’d be happier with your team playing in the rain and the Star player getting injured and ending his season instead of preventing the chance that it could happen the day prior in less likely circumstances.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I'll take the self-reliant, vigilant, hard working, over comer generations over todays soft, entitled, want everything just right or I don't want to participate crowd, any day .... 😂

So we are just going to generalize and say that everyone who has moved their game is soft, entitled, etc. Got it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

We are raising a couple of generations of people who want perfect conditions .... Improvise, overcome, adapt ... deal with the situation .... it builds character and teaches young people to deal with adversity in the world ....  

exactly right. It’s the snow-flake diva generation driving this. They probably cry to their coaches because they won’t be able to pad their stats and boast on social media so people can jock hang them and stroke them. We’ve gone so soft. It’s unreal. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, KirtFalcon said:

Don't cancel the games or reschedule them to Saturday .... play them on Friday night like we have done for decades .... the forecast for many of the schools shows the rain/storms at less than 50% chance and for a lot of them the rain doesn't even arrive until late Friday night or early Saturday morning ....

 

 

There’s been plenty of games over the years canceled or moved due to rain/storms. This isn’t new like you’re trying to act lol. 1950s, Longview/Lufkin canceled a meaningless district game because the district race was over and the field was considered too muddy.  Like it’s not new, you just chose not to remember for whatever reason.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, KirtFalcon said:

Don't cancel the games or reschedule them to Saturday .... play them on Friday night like we have done for decades .... the forecast for many of the schools shows the rain/storms at less than 50% chance and for a lot of them the rain doesn't even arrive until late Friday night or early Saturday morning ....

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SilkyJohnson said:

So we are just going to generalize and say that everyone who has moved their game is soft, entitled, etc. Got it. 

 

If it was some big massive front of severe weather coming, you might have a case .... it's not .... it's roughly a 50% chance and doesn't even look to be severe especially for some of the more southern schools who have overreacted and moved their games ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

There’s been plenty of games over the years canceled or moved due to rain/storms. This isn’t new like you’re trying to act lol. 1950s, Longview/Lufkin canceled a meaningless district game because the district race was over and the field was considered too muddy.  Like it’s not new, you just chose not to remember for whatever reason.

wimps ....

  • Grumpy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...