Wing T or slot T

Destry

I think they've all been hit on here it comes down to what size program.

East Texas: Pleasant Grove Wing T 4ADII, Paul Pewitt Slot-T 3ADII, Waskom Flexbone, 3ADII, Pittsburg Slot-T 4ADII, Vidor Slot T 4ADII, Centerville Wing-T 2ADI, Hughes Springs Slot-T 3ADII, Tatum Flexbone 3ADI

More towards Dallas: Terrell Wing-T 5A DII, Centennial Flexbone 5A DI, Bells Slot-T 3ADII, Gunter Pistol Flexbone 3ADII, Holiday Wing-T 3ADII

Centex: Franklin Slot T 3ADI, Liberty Hill 5ADII Slot-T (considered THE Texas Slot T), Shiner- Split back veer 2ADI

Edited by mrclean69
Added to a list

1 hour ago, upullinmychain said:

That's why you had the mid-line veer,negated the crashing end.and SMU always charged the end to force him to take qb and put corner on island with back 👀

Yes, the midline was a great addition to a lot of offenses when it came down from Arkansas.  To me, the reads out of the midline were easier than from the regular veer and if you had a running QB he was able to get turned up field quicker.  It is still a good change of pace for any offense that is under center because the read is very easy to teach.

10 minutes ago, Rowebot said:

Centerville is as pure "wing T" as it gets... as far as slot T im not sure who really runs it anymore.............. kumrow did at pp forever........ and they were good at it.... same with hughes springs although theyhave opened it up recently................... when i was at redwater we were pure slot t............. ran a lot of midline and veer out of it which isnt super common from thos formations...... had a stud FB and QB and slots that could go........................

I remember you guys playing Daingerfield some yrs ago running that. I definitely remember that QB and FB. I believe it was a playoff game

2 hours ago, Jeffersondawgs96 said:

Dekalb, Gladewater, Pitt, Gilmer, Tatum, Queen City, Pewitt, ect. They all ran that veer. It's been 25 plus yrs ago, I'm sure I missed a few

There’s a highlight video on YouTube of Smith and Hodges sr season. That beer was a thing of beauty. 

10 minutes ago, neveragain said:

Yes, the midline was a great addition to a lot of offenses when it came down from Arkansas.  To me, the reads out of the midline were easier than from the regular veer and if you had a running QB he was able to get turned up field quicker.  It is still a good change of pace for any offense that is under center because the read is very easy to teach.

3rd and 14…… we running midline and picking up 19. 

If you want to see the best in Texas, you will have to take the time and make the drive to see Liberty Hill.  They've done it from 3A to 5A and the results speak for themselves.  I've watched all the teams mentioned in person, all good, but LH is certainly the best.

• Like 1

4A-2 Quinlan Ford runs the Fly-T and averages about 55 carries a game. They led the Nation last year with 6189 yards rushing in 13 games. They run out of Wing-T, Power I, Double Wing, Double TE, & Wishbone Formations among others.

They are a little down this year with only 3302 yards through 9 games, but thier top 3 rushers are Juniors. They starting to improve offensively and have rushed for 496 and 658 in the last 2 games. They will play Van Alstyne next week.

1 hour ago, mrclean69 said:

I think they've all been hit on here it comes down to what size program.

East Texas: Pleasant Grove Wing T 4ADII, Paul Pewitt Slot-T 3ADII, Waskom Flexbone, 3ADII, Pittsburg Slot-T 4ADII, Vidor Slot T 4ADII, Centerville Wing-T 2ADI, Hughes Springs Slot-T 3ADII, Tatum Flexbone 3ADI

More towards Dallas: Terrell Wing-T 5A DII, Centennial Flexbone 5A DI, Bells Slot-T 3ADII, Gunter Pistol Flexbone 3ADII, Holiday Wing-T 3ADII

Centex: Franklin Slot T 3ADI, Liberty Hill 5ADII Slot-T (considered THE Texas Slot T), Shiner- Split back veer 2ADI

Joaquin is slot-t that runs a little wing. Cushing runs flex bone. Garrison runs a pretty old school offense from the highlights not sure what they fall under.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slickarick said:

Joaquin is slot-t that runs a little wing. Cushing runs flex bone. Garrison runs a pretty old school offense from the highlights not sure what they fall under.

Garrison runs a version of the wing-T with a pistol package. QB is under center about 75% of the time. 

2 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

There’s a highlight video on YouTube of Smith and Hodges sr season. That beer was a thing of beauty. 

Oh yea I got to see it close up and personal as a sophomore.  I felt like I was walking by 2 movie stars when we did the walk around on Lobo field. They ran that veer to perfection with the quick Sammons at QB. Smith and Hodge came in game 12 of the season averaging over 10 ypc!

20 hours ago, Slickarick said:

Can’t believe I forgot Joaquin. They run slot-t extremely well. I didn’t know Cushing was flexbone seems to be the right move for that program. 

10 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

Yeah,I think you are rite.they run it in it's purest form as best I can tell..if anyone runs it any more as in the original form,I can't name them 🤷‍♂️

Yes sir. Sprint to the line, tempo, the whole 9 yards. Franklin runs it well as well. 

To me the difference is the tempo, and the fact that Franklin always has the athletes. Liberty Hill does as well, but the slot t is the equalizer for them. Franklin could run the spread and be successful. Not sure about LH.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, THEHARDWAY said:

Yes sir. Sprint to the line, tempo, the whole 9 yards. Franklin runs it well as well. 

To me the difference is the tempo, and the fact that Franklin always has the athletes. Liberty Hill does as well, but the slot t is the equalizer for them. Franklin could run the spread and be successful. Not sure about LH.

We need to be honest, Franklin may be the only team that runs this style offense who could run another offense and still be successful. Teams who run these offenses run them solely because they don’t have the athletes to hang with other teams.

LH has to run what they do.  If they tried to out athlete other teams they’d go under .500 every year.

13 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

We need to be honest, Franklin may be the only team that runs this style offense who could run another offense and still be successful. Teams who run these offenses run them solely because they don’t have the athletes to hang with other teams.

LH has to run what they do.  If they tried to out athlete other teams they’d go under .500 every year.

I think they would be better than .500, but completely agree with the premise of your statement. 

• Like 1

Just now, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Their stupid little shell game..  😡

LOL. Kudos to the coaches for putting them in a position to win though. I’m a spread guy, BUT they are my favorite offense to watch. 

I also get why the Carthage faithful might think differently! 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, THEHARDWAY said:

LOL. Kudos to the coaches for putting them in a position to win though. I’m a spread guy, BUT they are my favorite offense to watch. 

I also get why the Carthage faithful might think differently! 😂

Hahaha!!

Yep, and you’re correct, we have to give the coaches credit for putting their less naturally gifted players in a position to succeed against better athletes.

• LOL! 1

41 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

That's spot on for Liberty Hill.  A wise man one said, "you have to play the cards that are dealt you."  That's what LH does.  When looking at them next to the teams they're playing, most people would pick the other team almost every time.  They simply do not have the size or athleticism.  Must be something in their water. 

The good news for them is they are playing a team sport and they work as well together as any team I've watched. You don't see them getting upset with each other on the sidelines when they're down like I see some other teams behaving like jack a's on the sideline, even talking back to coaches.  That ain't happening at LH.  They simply play smash mouth football and beat those who thought they were going to beat this undersized group of overachievers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

It looks like you're trying to diminish or put down teams for working with what they have, if what they have doesn't measure up in the "athlete" department.  You're missing the most important aspect of the great sport... Team.  The first and most important part of football isn't individual athletes, it's team or team work.  It's a classic case of not seeing the forest for the trees.

That's why LH has beaten Carthage and so many others that have far superior athletes.  LH has superior team work. 

Edited by Everide2016
  • Thanks 2

If it’s all about who has the best athletes why let football decide.  Everyone have a Decathlon team.  That’s always considered the premier athletic event in the Olympics (to my knowledge).  But football is about winning a team sport, whether you run the Spread, Slot T, Wing T, Veer, etc, etc.  I’m not sure how many, but when Texas won the Nat Championship with the Wishbone, did anyone say, “Well, they had no good athletes”.  Nor for all the other teams that won it with that same Wishbone (wonder how many NC there were that ran the Bone?).  Or teams that won it with the Veer?  Hmmmmmm.

Anyway, Orangefield runs the Slot T in District 10-3A-1.  A seven team District they won undefeated (8-2 / 6-0).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

It looks like you're trying to diminish or put down teams for working with what they have, if what they have doesn't measure up in the "athlete" department.  You're missing the most important aspect of the great sport... Team.  The first and most important part of football isn't individual athletes, it's team or team work. 

That's why LH has beaten Carthage and so many others that have far superior athletes.  LH has superior team work. 

Your first post was great.  I agree, Carthage has far superior athletes than Liberty Hill, and I agree with you LH works so very well together as a team.

I will disagree with you about the second Carthage loss to LH; that was luck.  The first LH win over CHS in ‘07, that was a victory and great performance by LH.

You do also have to appreciate the LH coaches fully understand there is a lack of athleticism so they run an offense that gets the absolute most out of the players y’all have.

I dislike Liberty Hill, but I do respect what they’ve been able to do.

As you can tell, it kind of aggravates me, that offense…..uggghhh

HAHAHA!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Your first post was great.  I agree, Carthage has far superior athletes than Liberty Hill, and I agree with you LH works so very well together as a team.

I will disagree with you about the second Carthage loss to LH; that was luck.  The first LH win over CHS in ‘07, that was a victory and great performance by LH.

You do also have to appreciate the LH coaches fully understand there is a lack of athleticism so they run an offense that gets the absolute most out of the players y’all have.

I dislike Liberty Hill, but I do respect what they’ve been able to do.

As you can tell, it kind of aggravates me, that offense…..uggghhh

HAHAHA!

Despite all the banter, I do appreciate Carthage and what they do year after year.  Unquestionably one of the best programs in Texas.  

To attribute the second Carthage loss to luck on LH's part is still a slight.  On paper, Carthage should wipe the field with LH anytime they play.  LH wouldn't have been close in either game if it was luck.  It was a lot of hard work and putting themselves in the position to take advantage of Carthage miscues etc.