Wing T or slot T

Destry

1 minute ago, Everide2016 said:

Despite all the banter, I do appreciate Carthage and what they do year after year.  Unquestionably one of the best programs in Texas.  

To attribute the second Carthage loss to luck on LH's part is still a slight.  On paper, Carthage should wipe the field with LH anytime they play.  LH wouldn't have been close in either game if it was luck.  It was a lot of hard work and putting themselves in the position to take advantage of Carthage miscues etc.

Three dropped passes with no defensive player within five yards. 
Should have beat them by 21 instead they win by three. I would not be so butt hurt except that pecker wood of a running back said after the game in an interview, that Carthage wasn’t any good. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

That's spot on for Liberty Hill.  A wise man one said, "you have to play the cards that are dealt you."  That's what LH does.  When looking at them next to the teams they're playing, most people would pick the other team almost every time.  They simply do not have the size or athleticism.  Must be something in their water. 

The good news for them is they are playing a team sport and they work as well together as any team I've watched. You don't see them getting upset with each other on the sidelines when they're down like I see some other teams behaving like jack a's on the sideline, even talking back to coaches.  That ain't happening at LH.  They simply play smash mouth football and beat those who thought they were going to beat this undersized group of overachievers.

Couldn’t have said it better. LH has a bunch of dogs. No attitude, no primadonnas. I see a lot of similarities between them, Canadian, and the first few Gunter teams. 
Everyone has a job and executes to perfection. 

Also, that is not a slight to GT. I just feel, from what I have seen, the GT mentality has changed over the years. It seems as they have had more of the 7 on 7 mentality/players come in, the mindset has changed some. I’ve even talked to some GT posters about it. The first year we played them was the epitome of the TPW mentality. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Everide2016 said:

Despite all the banter, I do appreciate Carthage and what they do year after year.  Unquestionably one of the best programs in Texas.  

To attribute the second Carthage loss to luck on LH's part is still a slight.  On paper, Carthage should wipe the field with LH anytime they play.  LH wouldn't have been close in either game if it was luck.  It was a lot of hard work and putting themselves in the position to take advantage of Carthage miscues etc.

Thank you for those compliments, and we appreciate LH’s program.

Definitely not trying to slight LH with that statement.

Just saying leaving 21 points on the field instead of on the scoreboard due to drops those receivers always catch, that’s way super fortunate for the opposing team.  That’s all.

I can tell you, Rusk should’ve scored against our starting defense in the first quarter this year.  Receiver was five yards behind our nearest DB, and the QB hit him perfectly in stride, it just went right through his hands; that was 100% luck on our part..

4 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Three dropped passes with no defensive player within five yards. 
Should have beat them by 21 instead they win by three. I would not be so butt hurt except that pecker wood of a running back said after the game in an interview, that Carthage wasn’t any good. 

Yeah, kids are going to say stupid things sometimes.  That along with the lack of execution by Carthage's rightly self-proclaimed superior athletes shouldn't diminish Liberty Hill's accomplishment or call for it to be attributed to luck.  They put themselves in a position to win and took advantage of what was placed in front of them.

Slot-T, when run to near perfection, is as much fun to watch as any offense, period.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, THEHARDWAY said:

Couldn’t have said it better. LH has a bunch of dogs. No attitude, no primadonnas. I see a lot of similarities between them, Canadian, and the first few Gunter teams. 
Everyone has a job and executes to perfection. 

Also, that is not a slight to GT. I just feel, from what I have seen, the GT mentality has changed over the years. It seems as they have had more of the 7 on 7 mentality/players come in, the mindset has changed some. I’ve even talked to some GT posters about it. The first year we played them was the epitome of the TPW mentality. 

7 on 7 does more harm to the team concept than any 11 man offense I know. An athlete has a good 7-7 summer and thinks he is a superstar. Watched it play out this year in AA ball. Kid is scared of contact and gets hurt when he gets hit. 

28 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Yeah, kids are going to say stupid things sometimes.  That along with the lack of execution by Carthage's rightly self-proclaimed superior athletes shouldn't diminish Liberty Hill's accomplishment or call for it to be attributed to luck.  They put themselves in a position to win and took advantage of what was placed in front of them.

Slot-T, when run to near perfection, is as much fun to watch as any offense, period.

Bad as I hate to admit it but you are 100 percent right. They did rush for over 500 hundred yards on my Dawgs. Dang that was hard to type 🤠

On 11/4/2022 at 3:36 PM, HornetSenior said:

4A-2 Quinlan Ford runs the Fly-T and averages about 55 carries a game. They led the Nation last year with 6189 yards rushing in 13 games. They run out of Wing-T, Power I, Double Wing, Double TE, & Wishbone Formations among others.

They are a little down this year with only 3302 yards through 9 games, but thier top 3 rushers are Juniors. They starting to improve offensively and have rushed for 496 and 658 in the last 2 games. They will play Van Alstyne next week.

About 2- 4 seasons ago didn't Paul Pewitt lead the nation in rushing?

4 hours ago, Destry said:

7 on 7 does more harm to the team concept than any 11 man offense I know. An athlete has a good 7-7 summer and thinks he is a superstar. Watched it play out this year in AA ball. Kid is scared of contact and gets hurt when he gets hit. 

I can guarantee there are no Gunter players that are scared of contact.   Other than having more team speed the tpw mindset has not changed one iota.  The 7 on 7 (semifinals) has helped the team be more balanced. Gunter vs Canadian will be another classic if we get that far.  I don't see anyone in region 1 beating Canadian. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

I can guarantee there are no Gunter players that are scared of contact.   Other than having more team speed the tpw mindset has not changed one iota.  The 7 on 7 (semifinals) has helped the team be more balanced. Gunter vs Canadian will be another classic if we get that far.  I don't see anyone in region 1 beating Canadian. 

Exceptions to everything 

14 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

I hope we both make it. I have nothing but respect for what Fieszel (spelling?) has built!

On 11/4/2022 at 3:16 PM, Everide2016 said:

If you want to see the best in Texas, you will have to take the time and make the drive to see Liberty Hill.  They've done it from 3A to 5A and the results speak for themselves.  I've watched all the teams mentioned in person, all good, but LH is certainly the best.

Based on what I’ve heard & read, I agree LH has it down to an art.  I’m told our Coach Matthews at Vidor, spends at least a day up there with LH coaches learning any tweaks to the offense.  Probably showing my age but I do love the Slot T.  Some find it boring.  I can understand that, I find the Spread boring.  Some folks like tennis, some rugby.  If we were all the same it’d be a boring world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LetsGoEagles said:

I love the slot-T, it's devastatingly deceptive 

My sentiments exactly.  As I said before, it’s a “love/hate” offense.  Seems folks, like you and I love it, and others hate it.  Often wondered, do they hate it for the same reasons we like it?  I’ve heard it called boring.  Another mystery.  Either way, it’s here to stay, and is very effective.  Would love to know the number & percentage of Slot T teams in the Playoffs.  Down here it’s Vidor & Orangefield.  Vidor was second and Orangefield won their district.  I have seen several try in but weren’t successful, so it’s not a magical elixir.

7 minutes ago, Hagar said:

My sentiments exactly.  As I said before, it’s a “love/hate” offense.  Seems folks, like you and I love it, and others hate it.  Often wondered, do they hate it for the same reasons we like it?  I’ve heard it called boring.  Another mystery.  Either way, it’s here to stay, and is very effective.  Would love to know the number & percentage of Slot T teams in the Playoffs.  Down here it’s Vidor & Orangefield.  Vidor was second and Orangefield won their district.  I have seen several try in but weren’t successful, so it’s not a magical elixir.

Mabank runs it or a variation of it and it’s helped them be somewhat competitive but they are not very athletic so it’s an equalizer for them. 

2 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

Mabank runs it or a variation of it and it’s helped them be somewhat competitive but they are not very athletic so it’s an equalizer for them. 

A little off topic, I know the DC’s figured out how to stop the Wishbone, but that was years ago.  Surprised someone doesn’t run it now.  All the folks who knew how to defend it have probably passed away, lol.  That was an awesome offense for many years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

A little off topic, I know the DC’s figured out how to stop the Wishbone, but that was years ago.  Surprised someone doesn’t run it now.  All the folks who knew how to defend it have probably passed away, lol.  That was an awesome offense for many years.

Not everybody, yet ... but I can say the same about current DC's who try to defend the Wing-T and Slot-T ... I have always maintained that if you are a DC who really wants to know how to defend it, find you a team/staff who run the Wing-T and watch how that staff deals with it when they play it when they face another team who also runs it ... 

On 11/6/2022 at 1:38 PM, Hagar said:

Based on what I’ve heard & read, I agree LH has it down to an art.  I’m told our Coach Matthews at Vidor, spends at least a day up there with LH coaches learning any tweaks to the offense.  Probably showing my age but I do love the Slot T.  Some find it boring.  I can understand that, I find the Spread boring.  Some folks like tennis, some rugby.  If we were all the same it’d be a boring world.

We must be brothers from  separate mothers. I agree 100%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, upullinmychain said:

Slot runs better when you haves them hogs up front who ain't skeered to knock some toofers loose on the opponents..watching WWE as a kids is a must for these linemen..if you can't tombstone a D lineman run the spread...js.

Happy Birthday Jarhead.  I was a dogface, but my son was (is) a Marine as is my G’son.

44 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

Bottom line half the time in the slot T I can't tell who has the ball.  Deception makes for fun to watch offense.   Bells is a good example around here.  West knows how to run it and Bells has some athletes too.

Hope you see the Vidor game.  We do pretty good with it.  Not quite as good as last year but still keep me lost.  FB had a 20 yard TD week before last.  I had to watch the play 3 times before my OLD tired eyes could follow him, lol.  Evidently the LB’s had the same problem.  The handoff was so smooth & quick it was hard to follow.  Easier following the WB running wide with nothing but a glove.  
☠️☠️😂😂☠️☠️

Edited by Hagar

3 hours ago, DOB said:

Not everybody, yet ... but I can say the same about current DC's who try to defend the Wing-T and Slot-T ... I have always maintained that if you are a DC who really wants to know how to defend it, find you a team/staff who run the Wing-T and watch how that staff deals with it when they play it when they face another team who also runs it ... 

Since Vidor has started it (about 14 years ago?), don’t remember us running into someone else who runs it very often.  HHargrave’s old Coach knew how to stop it.  Gave Vidor fits every year.  New Coach - didn’t have a clue.  You’d think he’d checked film from the last few years, but he either didn’t, or didn’t understand what he was watching.

Edited by Hagar

1 hour ago, GTAlumnus said:

Bottom line half the time in the slot T I can't tell who has the ball.  Deception makes for fun to watch offense.   Bells is a good example around here.  West knows how to run it and Bells has some athletes too.

It is even more effective with an athlete taking snaps. Our current QB is a district champion in hurdles. This adds another weapon to the game plan. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

It is even more effective with an athlete taking snaps. Our current QB is a district champion in hurdles. This adds another weapon to the game plan. 

Vidor’s QB was our stud LB last year, so he brings contact to the position.  Durn kid runs over instead of around folks, lol.