5A D1 R2 Bi-District: Longview vs Crosby

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (10-0) vs Crosby Cougars (6-4)  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Crosby in a close one
    • Crosby in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/12/2022 at 01:00 AM

RETIREDFAN1
This post was recognized by RETIREDFAN1!

LoboFan07 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

longview.pngcrosby.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (10-0) VS CROSBY COUGARS (6-4)

DATE: Friday, November 11th, 2022
TIME: 7:00 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
CROSBY BROADCAST: n/a
LONGVIEW LIVE STREAM: Longview Gameday
CROSBY LIVE STREAM: n/a

longview.pngSERIES TIED 0-0-0 crosby.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played at Longview.
The two schools have never played at Crosby.
The two schools have never played at Lobo Stadium.
The two schools have never played on November 11th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES:
First meeting.
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW:
Playoff time in Texas. It's the best time of year, and for the Longview Lobos who are fresh off registering their 12th perfect regular season in program history, they have sights on a long playoff run. For them to get there, the first of a six game gauntlet comes in the form of the Crosby Cougars. In a billing that was pegged for the Regional Semi Finals to start the season, Crosby has fell short of the expectations that were placed on them following their move from 5A Division I. Starting the season ranked 6th in the state of Texas, the Cougars quickly fell in their first game of the season against CE King by a heavy 63-7 scoreline. Crosby's season overall didn't start much better, as the Cougars started 3-4 on the year before turning it around in a playoff deciding win over New Caney Porter, 26-21. The Cougars are two years removed from a 5A Division 2 State Finalist berth after last season falling in the State Semi-Finals. The Cougars have won their last three bi-district games, last losing 72-69 to Port Neches-Groves in 2017. This will be the first ever meeting between the two programs. For Longview, following a 70-0 victory to win their 19th consecutive senior night contest, the Lobos head into the playoffs after going wire to wire in the regular season ranked as the No. 1 team by Dave Campbell's Texas Football for the first time in program history. The Lobos won their 13th consecutive home game with their win over the Wranglers, and improved to 88-6 at home under John King. Longview is 34-1 in their last 35 games at home. In their playoff appearance at home, the Lobos are hosting a home playoff game for the 6th consecutive season. It will be the 7th contest for Longview to host at (new) Lobo Stadium. The first playoff game back in 1984 was their only loss, a 24-14 defeat to Bryan. That was the last time the game was within two scores, as Longview as dominated their last seven home playoff games. Overall, this will be the 14th playoff game Longview as a program has hosted. The Lobos are 9-3-1 overall. For bi-district games, the Lobos enter the playoffs for the 48th time in program history and 19th time under John King. Longview has made the post season now 22 seasons in a row. Under John King, Longview is 16-2 in bi-district games with the Lobos only losing in 2005, 14-13 to South Garland, and 2016, 34-33 to Beaumont West Brook. Friday's contest will be the 120th playoff contest in program history with 68 of those comings under John King. The Lobos hold a 45-17 record under King in post season games. As a program before John King arrived, Longview had just 29 playoff wins. Longview's Taylor Tatum enters the post season seven touchdowns away from tying the school record for touchdowns in a season. He's just the 11th Lobo to score 21 or more touchdowns in a season. While quarterback Jordan Allen won't break the single season passing record, he can become the 6th Lobo quarterback to hit 20 or more passing touchdowns in a single season with two more. Jalen Hale's two touchdown day against West Mesquite pushed him to 11 receiving scores for the season, lifting him to the 5th time for a Lobo player to hit 11 or more scores in a single season. He's the first ever receiver in Longview history to have multiple seasons of 10 or more receiving scores.

CLASS 5A DIVISION I REGION II BI-DISTRICT GAMES:
11/11 - W5 Mansfield Timberview (10-0) vs F6 Frisco Heritage (6-4) - Vernon Newsom Stadium (Mansfield)
11/11 - T7 Forney (7-3) vs R8 Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill (7-3) - Eagle Stadium (Mont Belvieu)
11/11 - F5 Dallas W.T. White (5-5) vs W6 Frisco Reedy (10-0) - Ford Center (Frisco)
11/11 - R7 Lancaster (8-2) vs T8 Humble Kingwood Park (7-3) - Beverly D. Humphrey Tiger Stadium (Lancaster)
11/11 - T5 North Richland Hills Richland (8-2) vs R6 Frisco Lone Star (8-2) - Kuykendall Stadium (Frisco)
11/11 - W7 Longview (10-0) vs F8 Crosby (6-4) - Lobo Stadium (Longview)
11/11 - R5 North Richland Hills Birdville (8-2) vs T6 Frisco Wakeland (6-4) - Birdville Fine Arts/Athletic Complex (North Richland Hills)
11/11 - F7 McKinney North (7-3) vs W8 Port Arthur Memorial (9-1) - Memorial Stadium (Port Arthur)

WHAT’S AT STAKE:
The winner of today’s game game will take on the winner of North Richland Hills Richland vs Frisco Lone Star in the Class 5A Division I Region II Area Round match up.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 10-0 (7-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (207-44 in 19 seasons) (Playoffs: 45-17)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 766-355-52 (Playoffs: 74-44-1)
Playoff Appearances: 48
Last Playoff Appearance: 2021, Class 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - at McKinney Boyd - Win 36-10
09.02 - vs Marshall - Win 48-11
09.09 - at Tyler Legacy - Win 69-0
09.16 - at Lufkin - Win 56-7
09.23 - vs Lancaster - Win 21-13
10.07 - vs Forney - Win 46-7
10.14 - at North Mesquite - Win 42-19
10.21 - vs McKinney North - Win 49-7
10.27 - at Tyler - Win 42-3
11.03 - vs West Mesquite - Win 70-0
11.11 - Bi-District: Crosby

CROSBY COUGARS
Record: 6-4 (5-3)
District: 8-5A Division I
Coach: Jerry Prieto (33-17 in 4 seasons) (Playoffs: 10-3)
First Year of Football: 1923
All-Time Record: 492-438-34 (Playoffs: 33-31-0)
Playoff Appearances: 32
Last Playoff Appearance: 2021, Class 5A Division II State Semi-Finals
State Championships (0): None
State Championship Appearances (2): 1960 (1A), 2020 (5A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - vs C.E. King - Loss 63-7
09.01 - vs Fort Bend Marshall - Win 27-21 (OT)
09.09 - vs Baytown Lee - Win 41-21
09.16 - at Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill - Loss 28-27
09.23 - vs Humble Kingwood Park - Loss 49-22
09.30 - at Port Arthur Memorial - Loss 20-13
10.07 - vs New Caney Porter - Win 26-21
10.14 - at Baytown Sterling - Win 69-21
10.28 - vs La Porte - Win 49-42
11.03 - at Baytown Goose Creek Memorial - Win 59-13
11.11 - Bi-District: Longview

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: November 11th
In 1911, Marshall defeated Longview, 16-0, at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1921, Troup knocked off Longview, 14-9, at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1925, Longview and Henderson played to a 3-3 tie in Longview.
In 1927, Longview defeated Henderson 45-0 at Montgomery Park in Henderson.
In 1929, James scored twice for Longview in the 2nd quarter as the Loboes defeated Henderson, 25-0, at Lobo Athletic Field.
In 1930, Henderson defeated Longview 14-0 at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1931, Paul Painter rushed in from three yards out to give Longview a 7-0 win over Henderson at Lobo Athletic Field.
In 1932, Tyler defeated Longview, 20-6, at Fair Park in Tyler.
In 1933, Longview and Tyler battled to a 0-0 tie at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1935, Tyler defeated Longview 19-7 before Tyler was later forced to forfeit due to playing an ineligible player and the entire district was disqualified from playoff action.
In 1936, Jack Skipper scored twice as Henry Matthews put the game away in a 19-6 win over Tyler at Rose Stadium.
In 1937, Miller rushed for four touchdowns, three in the third quarter, as Longview clinched the 9-1A crown in a 27-7 win over the Lions of Tyler at Lobo Stadium.
In 1938, Tyler shutout the defending state champion Lobos, 20-0, at Rose Stadium.
In 1940, Don Fambrough rushed in from 11-yards out later in the fourth quarter to lift Longview to a 14-7 win over Tyler at Rose Stadium.
In 1941, Wayne Burnett caught two touchdown passes and rushed for another as Tyler defeated Longview 18-13 at Lobo Stadium. The Lobos were held to 2 first downs on the night.
In 1942, John Dunaway rushed for two scores in the fourth quarters as Longview overcame Tyler, 21-7, at Rose Stadium to win the 11-2A title.
In 1943, in a defensive showdown, three plays into the second half Tyler blocked a punt to record a safety and the 2-0 win over Longview at Lobo Stadium.
In 1949, Jack McMurry rushed for two scores in the second half of a 19-0 Marshall victory over Longview at Maverick Stadium.
In 1955, six different Lobos scored as Longview rolled up 357 yards on the ground in a 40-7 win over Nacogdoches at Lobo Stadium.
In 1960, Paul Ketchum was the lone Lobo to tally a score as Tyler registered a 24-6 win over Longview at Rose Stadium.
In 1966, Danny Majors rushed for two scores before Rodney Hill hauled in a 55-yard score midway through the 4th quarter as Longview battled John Tyler to a 21-21 tie at Rose Stadium.
In 1977, Jimmy Kegler rushed in from two yards out in the 4th quarter as Lufkin knocked off Longview, 28-20, ending a 17-game Longview district winning streak.
In 2016, Kandin Robertson’s 11-yard touchdown reception late in the 4th quarter lifted Beaumont West brook over Longview, 34-33, in a bi-district affair at Thomas Center in Beaumont. D’Crayvan Polk registered two scores for the Lobos, but made a fatal fumble midway through the 4th propelled the Bruins to the winning score.

lobohowl2.GIF

Edited by LoboFan07

Will get the full bracket locations and dates updated hopefully by tomorrow (probably late tomorrow night).

Longview, obviously, should be winning this one. Just have to play our game and stay healthy. Be the Lobo squad we know we are.

• Like 4

Post game show with head coach John King following Longview's 70-0 win over West Mesquite:
https://lobohistory.com/audio/2022/westmesquitepostgame.mp3

Full box score from Longview's 70-0 win over West Mesquite:
https://www.lobohistory.com/blog/2022/week11boxscore.html

By the numbers of Longview's 70-0 win over the Wranglers:
https://www.lobohistory.com/blog/2022/week11bythenumbers.html

• Like 3

I probably said it 10 times already. This is the matchup I have been waiting for since realignment. No exactly the way I thought it would happen, but its going down none the less. 

I am going to do a little more research on how "healthy" Crosby is before giving my thoughts. 

Longview wins this game.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

CLASS 5A DIVISION I REGION II BI-DISTRICT GAMES:

11/11 - W5 Mansfield Timberview (10-0) vs F6 Frisco Heritage (6-4) - Vernon Newsom Stadium (Mansfield)
11/11 - T7 Forney (7-3) vs R8 Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill (7-3) - Eagle Stadium (Mont Belvieu)
11/?? - F5 Dallas W.T. White (5-5) vs W6 Frisco Reedy (10-0) - TBD ()
11/11 - R7 Lancaster (8-2) vs T8 Humble Kingwood Park (7-3) - Beverly D. Humphrey Tiger Stadium (Lancaster)
11/?? - T5 North Richland Hills Richland (8-2) vs R6 Frisco Lone Star (8-2) - TBD ()
11/11 - W7 Longview (10-0) vs F8 Crosby (6-4) - Lobo Stadium (Longview)
11/?? - R5 North Richland Hills Birdville (8-2) vs T6 Frisco Wakeland (6-4) - TBD ()
11/11 - F7 McKinney North (7-3) vs W8 Port Arthur Memorial (9-1) - Memorial Stadium (Port Arthur)

Just looking at the bracket, Frisco Emerson in D2 is hosting Heritage at the Star next Friday.

Now there's three stadiums in Frisco ISD they could use so they could fit both Lone Star vs Richland and Reedy vs WT White on Friday night.

Obviously hopeful they put Lone Star on Thursday though, or even Saturday afternoon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kingwolf said:

I probably said it 10 times already. This is the matchup I have been waiting for since realignment. No exactly the way I thought it would happen, but its going down none the less. 

I am going to do a little more research on how "healthy" Crosby is before giving my thoughts. 

Longview wins this game.

What’s the reason for your desire to see this matchup?

2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

What’s the reason for your desire to see this matchup?

They were preseason top 5 and expected to be one of the best teams in our region. They also made it to the finals and semis in 5AD2 the last few years prior to moving up. At the time they had a pretty good following as well.  Would be a great playoff atmosphere.

Hearing now that their fan base has really dropped off.  To hear their fans tell it, they have played most of the year down 1/3 to 1/2 of their starters.  If they are at full health which they have not been all year, then we should get a good matchup.  Definitely not a typical 1 vs 4 matchup if they have all of their guys.  So should be a good challenge for Longview.  More to come after I watch a little more video of the last few weeks.

Edited by kingwolf
  • Like 2

The last couple weeks they did say they were basically back at full health.

Honestly, I don't think it matters. Their defense, especially against the run (at least against La Porte) is horrendous. I wish there was a place down south that kept the stats for most teams like the Dallas News does but man. Taylor Tatum should have a field day, I would suspect. Alijah Johnson right there as well.

Get Allen involved early, to get him in a rhythm, and we know our defense is going to be great.

Crosby's QB will be mobile, that's my only concern because we have struggled a little with that here and there (mostly against Lancaster and it's mostly just plays where the opposing QB has nothing else but to make a play on their own).

I just don't see how Crosby can win without Longview helping them significantly.

• Like 3