5A D1 R2 Bi-District: Longview vs Crosby

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (10-0) vs Crosby Cougars (6-4)  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Crosby in a close one
    • Crosby in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/12/2022 at 01:00 AM

19 hours ago, 3rdcoastent said:

Yea this was on Facebook I know y’all will put up at least 80 lol

8843156D-4BEE-4CE4-990F-8EAA8A4F1CDA.png

Goodness. I will be as big a Longview fan as they come for this 1 game. Cannot stand ignorant folks like this. I hope the lobos hang 80 on those bums. Run it up King! Bury’em. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Goodness. I will be as big a Longview fan as they come for this 1 game. Cannot stand ignorant folks like this. I hope the lobos hang 80 on those bums. Run it up King! Bury’em. 

I'll be happy with a 1 point win, but man, another 70-0 night would be so nice lol. Definitely won't happen. Am sure they'll get their yards and a score or two.

Excited to see playoff Tatum take over like he was starting to last season until the injury bug again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I'll be happy with a 1 point win, but man, another 70-0 night would be so nice lol. Definitely won't happen. Am sure they'll get their yards and a score or two.

Excited to see playoff Tatum take over like he was starting to last season until the injury bug again.

He been healthy so far this year compared to last year only missed that one game 

5 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Be safe and enjoy the game! FYI, that guy isn't a Longview fan. You can bet Coach King and the Lobos are taking every opponent seriously. 

The Lobos are going to be a tough matchup for any team they face in these playoffs. Good luck. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 1:42 PM, WolverBean said:

Who has Crosby played in etx to "own em" Marshall? Texas high no disrespect to them they ain't Longview

Yeah, they beat a good THS team 2 years ago and barely squeaked by the Tigers last season.  The Cougars also lost to Carthage in the first game of the season last year.  They have very arrogant fans who don't respect their opponents.  I don't see how they can say that they own anyone, let alone ETX.  Beat the $#!t out of them Lobos!

• Like 2

After watching all but one of Crosby’s games and seeing everyone of Longview’s here are my thoughts.  I will say that the parity in the district does make it hard to understand just how good everyone is. So take everything with a grain of salt. A couple of no brainer’s jump out.

1.       Crosby is not the same team that started the season.  They are also not the preseason team we thought they would be.

2.       They have definitely progressed over the last few weeks (regardless of who they have played).

3.       If the team they have now had a few more weeks in district, I have little doubt they would end up with the no. 2 seed and quite possibly the no. 1 seed.

4.       Sloppy play, turnovers and penalties, have definitely improved.

Crosby Offense

Similar offense to Lancaster, Desoto, and Beaumont Westbrook but with multiple play variations similar to Forney or think 2018 Lobos. It is really hard to figure out what is coming your way. For example, they run so many variations of screen plays from different spots on the field (RB, WR, Tight end/H back, bubble screens, tunnel screens, etc.) I wouldn’t be shocked if they didn’t have a QB throwback screen. The running QB is what will set them apart in this game. They will quite possibly be the second fastest team we have played. Short and intermediate passing game is legit. Their athletic QB can make those throws and they will be designed to find the open spots in our defense. They also have some very sure handed receivers. The RB group is solid. The offensive line has improved but still can beaten.  I did notice how the offensive play calling has adjusted against the weaknesses of the O-line. This will be a big challenge for our defense. I think seeing Forney, McKinney North, and Lancaster will definitely benefit us.

One very clear thing that stands out, is the way they score. They torched an exceptional Texas high defense several years ago, and I know Crosby fans were not that impressed. I am not a homer and knew just how good that TH team has been. Their variability and athleticism in play calling was too much for TH to adjust to.  Crosby has the ability to score and start an avalanche. Once it is going, it will be hard to stop. Lobos need to make them work for every freaking yard. The only defense that Crosby has seen that is close would be PAM. (I don’t count the CE King game because I believe that was a complete aberration.) Crosby will have to find a way to do something no other team has done this year, score more than two offensive TDs in a game.

Crosby Defense

Definitely not as strong a unit as in past years but good enough. They have seen the I formation (NCP) this year so it won’t be a surprise to them.  They remind me a lot of Denton Ryan in their scheme. Blitzing or aggressive stunting and you don’t know where it is coming from. Very, very disruptive. This worries me the most.  Allen will have to release the ball quickly. They are going to throw the kitchen sink at him.  I am not sure he will get a chance for a lot of long developing pass plays. He is going to have to be accurate. Crosby does have trouble with the run and I know Longview can exploit that. The Longview O-line will be one of the better O-lines they have faced, if not the best. I also know that Longview’s set of receivers and RBs will be the best Crosby has seen, so this may end up being a chess match. Longview is going to score, the question is can Crosby keep them in the high 20s or thirties?

Overall, this is definitely not a team I would expect us to blow out unless we can handle their blitzing/stunts and move the ball. If we can consistently move the ball on them, it could get ugly. I am very intrigued about this Crosby style offense against our defense. The variability with athleticism is going to be fun to watch. Crosby is going to have to have several things to go right to have a chance to win this game including a conservative game plan by Longview.  Longview needs to jump on them early and often.  We keep the QB from settling in or taking off, we win this game going away. If not, it could be tight for a while.

Longview 38

Crosby 17

• Like 1

Man...

I've seen Crosby play several times this year. Fast and athletic, but they have a glaring, and what seems to be a yearly issue that I pointed out about the Cougs earlier in the year.

They are nothing special defensively. So to me, the matchup of the game is the Lobo O vs the Coug D. 

Which says A TON because their offense is already in for a beyond tough matchup vs our defense. 

But yes...I truly question Crosby's abilities when Longview has the ball. Longview's OL took a huge step forward from the past 3 seasons this year (as I thought they would), Alijah Johnson is playing like a mad man. Allen is managing the offense well. Jalen Hale is Jalen Hale and you can never count out DK Reese, another DI WR opposite of Hale.

But IMO, the most dangerous man in this offense this year has been Mr Taylor Tatum. Lot of talk about Jalen Hale but don't forget, Longview is also home to the number one rated TX RB in the Class of 2024 and he has certainly been playing like it particularly in the 2nd half of the season. 21 touchdowns so far this year, and averaging nearly a first down a carry. In that JT game, I saw something in him that made me go "now if we're going to get THAT out of him....good luck to the opposition moving forward". Lancaster couldn't even stop him....put up 190 on them and I absolutely do not see Crosby slowing him down either.

Longview rolls.

• Like 3