5A D1 R2 Bi-District: Longview vs Crosby

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (10-0) vs Crosby Cougars (6-4)  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Crosby in a close one
    • Crosby in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/12/2022 at 01:00 AM

8 hours ago, kingwolf said:

I will say that the parity in the district does make it hard to understand just how good everyone is. So take everything with a grain of salt.

Honestly, I think we already have a good idea just how good everyone is...just like I think we all know how good everyone was in our district heading into district (outside of Lufkin cause I still don't understand really how they didn't hold on against McKinney North).

I'm just not seeing it. Port Arthur Memorial is by far the most talented team in that district, but their inability to play consistently is going to hurt them down the road. Losing to Baytown Lee is just unforgivable.

Crosby is Crosby. Their lines have not seen a line like ours, on either side of the ball, all season. Yes they played the self proclaimed next North Shore (by Crosby fans after their loss) in CE King, but I still believe our lines are better than those.

Their offense is no where near the strength of Lancaster.  That's for sure. They have speed, but overall, nothing we haven't seen already.

I just struggle to see how they hold us under 40 and much less score more than 20 tbh. It's a fun match up no doubt though. Excited to see our boys come out. I think a lot of them wanted this match up as well.

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Honestly, I think we already have a good idea just how good everyone is...just like I think we all know how good everyone was in our district heading into district (outside of Lufkin cause I still don't understand really how they didn't hold on against McKinney North).

I'm just not seeing it. Port Arthur Memorial is by far the most talented team in that district, but their inability to play consistently is going to hurt them down the road. Losing to Baytown Lee is just unforgivable.

Crosby is Crosby. Their lines have not seen a line like ours, on either side of the ball, all season. Yes they played the self proclaimed next North Shore (by Crosby fans after their loss) in CE King, but I still believe our lines are better than those.

Their offense is no where near the strength of Lancaster.  That's for sure. They have speed, but overall, nothing we haven't seen already.

I just struggle to see how they hold us under 40 and much less score more than 20 tbh. It's a fun match up no doubt though. Excited to see our boys come out. I think a lot of them wanted this match up as well.

I agree. I definitely don't want anyone to think they are on Lancaster's level because they are not. Definitely understand the overwhelming majority of thoughts that this will be a Forney or McNorth style of win. And it should be. If we don't have that type of game, it will be more on us than them.

The only thing that gives me pause is their defensive style and our play calling. IMO, the difference between the NCP and LaPorte game was the speed of execution by LaPorte. Their buck sweep and counters did not take a long time to develop. That killed Crosby's defense.  We have to do the same thing early on. Quick hitters, stretch plays, off tackle...passing has to be quick routes.  We can go deep, but don't make that the game unless we have to force them off the line. Those double wing/H back sets against West Mesquite will kill their defense.

Or honestly, I could be completely wrong. We may just line up, do our thing, and plow right over them.  Just can't let them stick around.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

I want Tatum to be resting by midway through the 2nd. 

I'd be shocked if that happened regardless of the score lol.

Only game I've seen King pull the starters that early was against Bryan Adams back in 06.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingwolf said:

Or honestly, I could be completely wrong. We may just line up, do our thing, and plow right over them.  Just can't let them stick around.

Honestly, it's a lot like what King was saying during the post game vs West. There's a lot of unknowns with the district strength. King flat out said our schedule has not been the best, I don't think any of us will disagree with that.

I just happen to believe our team is that much better than all of our schedule. We had a very poor game against Lancaster and still walked away with a win. Besides that, we've been consistently good the entire year. Even going back to 7v7.

I personally don't think 8-5A is that good. I did not think they were that good back in the summer, and after keeping up with them for 11 weeks, I think they might be even worse than I expected. But again, it's hard to gauge since none of our teams have played yet.

I just don't believe Crosby is the same team of the last two years, or even in the same universe tbh. But I also don't have a high opinion on either of the other two districts in this Region either so who knows. The parity is extremely real this season. I feel we just really lucked into having a great class at a down time across the state in this division. That said, Aledo is still Aledo, Lancaster looks to be in the same boat as us, Ryan is still there, College Station is hit or miss but when it's hit...ooh boy.

Excited to see what unfolds in the next month and a half.

37 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Is anyone worried about Mansfield Timberview? They've been shellacking teams. I know that their schedule isn't strong at all, but it's still impressive to put up THAT many points against these teams. 

They are good no doubt. Very much like 2020 Lancaster- untested and undisciplined for most of the season. That SGP game showed they can be beat.

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Honestly, it's a lot like what King was saying during the post game vs West. There's a lot of unknowns with the district strength. King flat out said our schedule has not been the best, I don't think any of us will disagree with that.

I just happen to believe our team is that much better than all of our schedule. We had a very poor game against Lancaster and still walked away with a win. Besides that, we've been consistently good the entire year. Even going back to 7v7.

I personally don't think 8-5A is that good. I did not think they were that good back in the summer, and after keeping up with them for 11 weeks, I think they might be even worse than I expected. But again, it's hard to gauge since none of our teams have played yet.

I just don't believe Crosby is the same team of the last two years, or even in the same universe tbh. But I also don't have a high opinion on either of the other two districts in this Region either so who knows. The parity is extremely real this season. I feel we just really lucked into having a great class at a down time across the state in this division. That said, Aledo is still Aledo, Lancaster looks to be in the same boat as us, Ryan is still there, College Station is hit or miss but when it's hit...ooh boy.

Excited to see what unfolds in the next month and a half.

I have the same idea that 8-5A is not the best for sure. We will see how mediocre on Friday. If that's the case, then this game will not be very good for Crosby.

In regards to the playoffs, I have this exact same feeling. If reminds me of 1997.  Everything perfectly lined up for us.  It was there for the taking including Katy.  This is going to be a fun ride if these guys stay focused.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Is anyone worried about Mansfield Timberview? They've been shellacking teams. I know that their schedule isn't strong at all, but it's still impressive to put up THAT many points against these teams. 

I honestly haven't paid a ton of attention to them cause I don't think they'll get past Lancaster.

To echo kingwolf, they're very 2020 Lancaster in my eyes. No one in that district is that good. I don't think the Birdville ISD schools will get past Frisco ISD in round 1. The SGP game in their first game of the year, they had to have a miracle in the final minute to get out of there with a win.

I dunno. I'm sure they're a solid team, I just don't put them up there with Lancaster tbh.

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I honestly haven't paid a ton of attention to them cause I don't think they'll get past Lancaster.

To echo kingwolf, they're very 2020 Lancaster in my eyes. No one in that district is that good. I don't think the Birdville ISD schools will get past Frisco ISD in round 1. The SGP game in their first game of the year, they had to have a miracle in the final minute to get out of there with a win.

I dunno. I'm sure they're a solid team, I just don't put them up there with Lancaster tbh.

Good to know. But the first game of the year is just that- the first game of the year. Teams struggle all the time in their first real actual live game. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Good to know. But the first game of the year is just that- the first game of the year. Teams struggle all the time in their first real actual live game. 

No doubt, not disputing that at all. But they haven't faced another team that is even remotely competitive (like even Lufkin competitive) level since then. Who knows, they might go out there and beat Lancaster and be a much better team than we're giving them credit for. But we just don't know enough yet IMO.

2 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

No doubt, not disputing that at all. But they haven't faced another team that is even remotely competitive (like even Lufkin competitive) level since then. Who knows, they might go out there and beat Lancaster and be a much better team than we're giving them credit for. But we just don't know enough yet IMO.

Exactly. Thankfully Lancaster and TV will have to duke it out before they get to us haha. 

But Coach King is right- you don't really know where each district stands til they start playing other districts in the playoffs. Hopefully, ours IS one of the best. 

Funny enough, Maxpreps has us at #1, Lancaster at #2, Forney at #13 and McNorth at #20. They echo what you said- TV has a NEGATIVE strength of schedule (###?!). If this IS true, then it means our district is the hardest in the state by far. I guess we'll see how everyone performs this weekend!

image.png

• Thanks 2

I really do think our district is the toughest in the Region. Forney, McNorth, Lufkin they're all solid teams. Lufkin looks worse than they are IMO just because of our district. That said North really peaked early it felt like. Forney is much better than I expected them to be in their first year of D1. I don't think they're a Area winner or anything, but their first year up at D1, winning a playoff game would be a great season for them.

Heck, I don't think North Mesq is even THAT bad of a team. They just don't have the players to compete in our district. They give it everything they have though. They're a top 3/4 team if they're in Mansfield Timberview's district though. Maybe even in 8-5A tbh.

The real question mark, for me, is 6-5A. That Frisco district, just beating up on each other. I just don't know what to really think about any of them tbh. Reedy's 10-0 record is just...I've never question a 10-0 more than theirs. Getting Lancaster in round 2 is oof.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I'd be shocked if that happened regardless of the score lol.

Only game I've seen King pull the starters that early was against Bryan Adams back in 06.

At the time, I remember the Bryan Adams beatdown being a big deal.

Bryan Adams wasn't good or anything but 68-0....man we made a big deal about it.

We just smoked WM 70-0 and we treated it like just another game 😂😂

• LOL! 1

21 minutes ago, ANTI said:

At the time, I remember the Bryan Adams beatdown being a big deal.

Bryan Adams wasn't good or anything but 68-0....man we made a big deal about it.

We just smoked WM 70-0 and we treated it like just another game 😂😂

Remember, that was the first year that they went to having 4 teams from each district make the playoffs, opening the door for Adams to make it at 3-7. They were completely outclassed in every facet of the game. 

Also Longview ran an offense that wasn't exactly made to just light up the scoreboard. To that point, our highest point total under Collins/King was 52 against Evangel and Mesquite Horn in 05. No other Lobo team had broken 50 points in a game under King/Collins and none had broken 55 or 60.

Heck, that 06 team's highest point total in a game was 38, and that was against Marshall where Jazmon Moon had 2 runs of 80+ yards in the game. To score 68 almost DOUBLED their highest point total in a game! 

But the Lobo offense is far more sophisticated and explosive now than it was back then. We throw the ball a LOT more (for comparison, Longview attempted only 6 passes in that win over Marshall all game). And we don't run 10+ fullback dives every game. Hence, we have Lobo teams scoring 40+ in the first half when our teams rarely used to break 40 in the entire game. 

Edited by JohnnyFootball
  • Like 1

The big issue with that Bryan Adams game was having our first team come back out in no pads. They had already all dressed back out at halftime.

We had freshmen getting carries in that game. The fact that it only stood at 68-0 is a pure miracle tbh, and King's greatest show of not trying to embarrass anyone IMO.

That's a big reason I was so dang worried about us getting stuck in with the Dallas ISD district (and Farmers Branch ISD). Would have been an absolute nightmare.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2022 at 9:51 AM, LufkinPack said:

Goodness. I will be as big a Longview fan as they come for this 1 game. Cannot stand ignorant folks like this. I hope the lobos hang 80 on those bums. Run it up King! Bury’em. 

Who would have thought it would take Crosby to unite LV and Lufkin! However briefly it may be. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

Yeah, they beat a good THS team 2 years ago and barely squeaked by the Tigers last season.  The Cougars also lost to Carthage in the first game of the season last year.  They have very arrogant fans who don't respect their opponents.  I don't see how they can say that they own anyone, let alone ETX.  Beat the $#!t out of them Lobos!

Clearly you don't know Crosby is the Mecca.

• LOL! 3

29 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Believe once TexanLive gets a hold of it, Gameday is out sadly.

had a feeling it might happen kinda early with LV being ranked #1 throughout the year....hate that tbh , glad I can at least watch the game but not close to being the same as gameday imo

• Like 1