5A DIVISION II BI-DISTRICT: Crandall (8-2) Vs. Marshall (6-4)

Mavchamp

Crandall Vs. Marshall  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Crandall in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Crandall in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

RETIREDFAN1
This post was recognized by RETIREDFAN1!

Mavchamp was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

crandalllogo.pngMARSHALLMAVERICKLOGO22.png

Location/Time: Maverick Stadium at 7PM
Live Stream: KMHT 103.9 MARSHALL

Crandall (8-2) third place from District 7
Forney- WIN 58-55
Kaufman- WIN 45-10
Jacksonville- WIN 42-37
Melissa- LOSS 50-22
Mesquite Poteet- WIN 54-7
Greenville- WIN 62-36
Lovejoy- LOSS 49-35
Terrell- WIN 36-29
Denison- WIN 54-30
Princeton- WIN 57-14

Marshall (6-4) second place from District 8
Tyler- WIN 40-29
Longview LOSS 48-11
Henderson WIN 44-7
Carthage LOSS 42-0
Pine Tree WIN 36-7
Hallsville LOSS 41-37
Mount Pleasant WIN 36-7
Texas High LOSS 42-35
Nacogdoches WIN 49-15
Whitehouse WIN 42-17

STATS, HISTORY, DID YOU KNOW: MAVERICK GAMEDAY

5A REGION II BRACKET
W5 Midlothian Heritage (9-1)
F6 Dallas Hillcrest (7-3)

R8 Marshall (6-4)
T7 Crandall (8-2)

W6 South Oak Cliff (7-3)
F5 Mansfield Summit (5-5)

R7 Lovejoy (7-3)
T8 Whitehouse (8-2)

W7 Melissa (8-2)
F8 Hallsville (7-3)

R6 Dallas Wilson (5-5)
T5 Ennis (5-5)

W8 Texas High (8-2)
F7 Terrell (5-5)

R5 Everman (8-2)
T6 Seagoville (6-4)

3 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I mean for Marshall? Yes. Their only two losses are two of the top 5 teams in 5A D2.

I hear you, was just thinking about the last time we played them there was nothing tough about them and I highly doubt they’re really all that different now.

Hoping for a big Marshall Maverick victory.

2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I hear you, was just thinking about the last time we played them there was nothing tough about them and I highly doubt they’re really all that different now.

Hoping for a big Marshall Maverick victory.

The last time y’all played Crandall was in 2019 correct? Lots of growth in that area has changed the landscape a little bit. Crandall has a bunch of athletes over there. LB/WR Sam Omosigho (OU Commit) is a top 10 LB in the country and a huge playmaker on offense out wide. QB was an all-state WR last year that has made a smooth transition to QB, electric on the ground. They are a salty team that can score with the best of them. Only losses this year are to Melissa without the starting QB and another skill position and a two score game with Lovejoy that was basically a one score game the entire game until late in the 4th. This is far from the Crandall the Dawgs saw 3 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, collincountyfootball1 said:

The last time y’all played Crandall was in 2019 correct? Lots of growth in that area has changed the landscape a little bit. Crandall has a bunch of athletes over there. LB/WR Sam Omosigho (OU Commit) is a top 10 LB in the country and a huge playmaker on offense out wide. QB was an all-state WR last year that has made a smooth transition to QB, electric on the ground. They are a salty team that can score with the best of them. Only losses this year are to Melissa without the starting QB and another skill position and a two score game with Lovejoy that was basically a one score game the entire game until late in the 4th. This is far from the Crandall the Dawgs saw 3 years ago.

A LB/WR? That is a scary thought. Lol. They sound good. I hope Marshall takes them down though. 

Going to be a very entertaining game!! Hope the scoreboard operator is ready to push the button on the score. 

As a Crandall alum I am going with the Pirates. Only a very good Melissa team has held the offense under 30pts on the season. I have said numerous times that this may be Crandall's best team ever and finishing 3rd in this district doesn't tell the story on how good this team has been this year. The 1991 team and the 2019 have had the longest playoff runs over the last 40 years. We will see if this team can match this or if Marshalls running game will be too much for them. 

Crandall also has an early season win over a good Forney team that made the playoffs in 7-5A DI and IMO, will advance to the area round. Impressive roster too.

Not saying all of this to say Marshall has no chance, it's just crazy to get an opponent of this magnitude out the gate when you've earned a home bi district game. But when you stick Lovejoy and Melissa in the same district....pretty decent chance the 3rd place team isn't your typical '3rd place team'.

Crandall is an outstanding team.  They hung tough with Lovejoy and Melissa. Which are both top 10 I believe (maybe 15). 

Explosive offense.  Shaky defense at times.

Whitehouse entered the game Vs Marshall 8-1 and averaging 42 PPG.

Mavs held them to 17. 

Hung tough with #4 Texas High 8-2 and lost 42-35.

My concern in this game is a slow start by the offense.  If we come out sputtering…. Crandall could make us pay. We aren’t built to come back from a big deficit.

But if our defense can get a couple of stops….. and most importantly….. if the offense can grind out long drives with touchdowns and keep the Pirate offense on the sidelines….. that game plan works. 

Marshall possessed the ball for 32 mins Vs WH to their 16.

What really hurt the Wildcats was their absolute refusal to respect our passing game.   They had determined there were not to lose because of JQ Davis.  He’s had 3 games this season over 300 yards.  So the put everyone in the box.  JQ was held to only 130 yards.  But WH was giving up chunks through the air.  No respect for our passing game.  It cost them.   Slone has right at 1000 yards passing.  No where near what most Mav QBs usually have in a season…… but it’s not negligible.   If you stack the box….. we can pass.   It’s just not our first choice like Mav teams of old,

We are still having some growing pains with Alvarez’s new offense at times.  But it’s really taking on.  Will be fun when it becomes second nature. 

Hoping for a fun game.  So proud of these guys and how they have fought.  Left for dead after the Hallsville game.  Fought so hard at Grim stadium. Overcame a really thin varsity roster.  Won in one of the most inhospitable places in Whitehouse……  future looking good. 

Go Mavs go!!!  Beat Crandall!

4 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

My concern in this game is a slow start by the offense.  If we come out sputtering…. Crandall could make us pay. We aren’t built to come back from a big deficit.

This is the game right here. Can the offense start of strong? If Alvarez can get the Mavs to put in a strong workman like game, they have every chance to win. If they "sputter", I have no doubt it will be a blow out.  Crandall can score in buckets.  A slow grinding game plan can keep them on the sideline.  

Mavs 38

Crandall 31

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Crandall is an outstanding team.  They hung tough with Lovejoy and Melissa. Which are both top 10 I believe (maybe 15). 

Explosive offense.  Shaky defense at times.

Whitehouse entered the game Vs Marshall 8-1 and averaging 42 PPG.

Mavs held them to 17. 

Hung tough with #4 Texas High 8-2 and lost 42-35.

But if our defense can get a couple of stops….. and most importantly….. if the offense can grind out long drives with touchdowns and keep the Pirate offense on the sidelines….. that game plan works. 

Marshall possessed the ball for 32 mins Vs WH to their 16.

What really hurt the Wildcats was their absolute refusal to respect our passing game.   They had determined there were not to lose because of JQ Davis.  He’s had 3 games this season over 300 yards.  So the put everyone in the box.  JQ was held to only 130 yards.  But WH was giving up chunks through the air.  No respect for our passing game.  It cost them.   Slone has right at 1000 yards passing.  No where near what most Mav QBs usually have in a season…… but it’s not negligible.   If you stack the box….. we can pass.   It’s just not our first choice like Mav teams of old,

We are still having some growing pains with Alvarez’s new offense at times.  But it’s really taking on.  Will be fun when it becomes second nature. 

Hoping for a fun game.  So proud of these guys and how they have fought.  Left for dead after the Hallsville game.  Fought so hard at Grim stadium. Overcame a really thin varsity roster.  Won in one of the most inhospitable places in Whitehouse……  future looking good. 

Go Mavs go!!!  Beat Crandall!

I have no stake in this game at all, but Crandall is not Whitehouse.

I personally do not think WH was as good as their record indicated. Maybe that's my biased after watching Nac beat them. They are soft against the run and succeeded in the games where they could force the game into a track meet that went with their hurry up offense. Heavy run teams that keep their offense off the field and make the defense stop the run have had success. Marshall can absolutely win this game, but they will have to play keep away from the Crandall offense and can not get behind. 

It is a great sign for Marshall that they have done this well in Alvarez's first season. Looking at his track record when he changes schools those teams have gone 3-7, 2-8 and missed the playoffs. Great sign that Marshall was able to have a winning record and make the playoffs in his first season as his history shows it only gets better for him from here. 

Good Luck Mavs and all of District 8-5a

1 hour ago, kingwolf said:

This is the game right here. Can the offense start of strong? If Alvarez can get the Mavs to put in a strong workman like game, they have every chance to win. If they "sputter", I have no doubt it will be a blow out.  Crandall can score in buckets.  A slow grinding game plan can keep them on the sideline.  

Mavs 38

Crandall 31

We’ve had some slow starts this season…. And it’s cost us dearly. Particularly the Hallsville game.  We didn’t come out on fire against WH…. But the defense kept us in the game. Once the offense started grinding…. It was game on. 

We need to see the offense we saw Vs WH, Texas High, second half of Hallsville…. And we can play with anyone.

But coming out flat will doom us early IMHO. 

I have no doubt Crandall is better than Whitehouse.  

I personally do not think WH was as good as their record indicated.

I said this after their (4-0) start with that SOFT non-district schedule.  I didn’t buy all the chest beating  with the defense they had.  I got ridiculed for  my stance.  WH is a good team  But they are more a product of the schedule.  Flip our schedules and Marshall is 8-2 and WH is 6-4  maybe 5-5.  

Maybe that's my biased after watching Nac beat them. They are soft against the run and succeeded in the games where they could force the game into a track meet that went with their hurry up offense.

They have a fantastic offense. But I honestly thought PT and MP had better defenses. 

Heavy run teams that keep their offense off the field and make the defense stop the run have had success  

Which is exactly what we did  Just look at the time of possession.  It was 2:1 in our favor.  

Marshall can absolutely win this game, but they will have to play keep away from the Crandall offense and can not get behind.

Agree 100%.  It’s how we’ve won the majority of our games.  Long…sustained drives that end in touchdowns.  Defense bends but gets some stops.  And one of the biggest changes I’ve noticed with Alvarez is our turnover rate.  It’s plagued the Mavs for years.  But we have had an amazing low number of turnovers.  Had zero against WH.  It’s a breath of fresh air.  I hope mentioning it doesn’t jinx us  😂

It is a great sign for Marshall that they have done this well in Alvarez's first season. Looking at his track record when he changes schools those teams have gone 3-7, 2-8 and missed the playoffs. Great sign that Marshall was able to have a winning record and make the playoffs in his first season as his history shows it only gets better for him from here.

You’re preaching truth now.  It’s been a painful transition esp on offense at times.  Most notably when we played great defenses like Longview and Carthage.  But to do what we’ve done in the first year of a new system is pretty exciting.  JV went 5-1 in district as well. I can’t even remember the last time we had a competitive JV.  Both of the freshman teams had success in district play.  The A team went 3-2-1 in district and that was without their stud RB.  If he had played I’m willing to bet they would have been 5-1 as well.  The B team was (3-1) in district play.  Lots to be excited about.  

Thank you!  Good luck to all!  EVEN Whitehouse  

On 11/5/2022 at 12:45 PM, Nacwagons said:

I personally do not think WH was as good as their record indicated. Maybe that's my biased after watching Nac beat them. They are soft against the run and succeeded in the games where they could force the game into a track meet that went with their hurry up offense. Heavy run teams that keep their offense off the field and make the defense stop the run have had success. Marshall can absolutely win this game, but they will have to play keep away from the Crandall offense and can not get behind. 

I know teams match up differently, but Jacksonville played both teams in consecutive weeks.

Screenshot_20221106-204712_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gramps said:

On Smoaky your showing the game for Thursday November 10 at 7 pm but if you look on Red Zone they are showing the game for Friday November 11 at 7 pm. Can anyone verify which it really is?

It's Friday