Gunter advances to 2nd round

Ballboy23

I hate this!  Realistically there would have been less than the first quarter of competitive football, then running the clock.  Not sure if that would have been better for Gunter than just having a bye and watching our next opponent.  So we hate it and our future opponent is getting screwed also.

• Like 1

I wonder if this is due to roster issues or what? I mean, I understand that they probably figure they’re gonna get blown out, but wouldn’t you want to give your kids the experience of playoff football? I certainly hope this isn’t the beginning of the high school equivalent of players opting out of college bowl games when they don’t get included in the playoff. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I wonder if this is due to roster issues or what? I mean, I understand that they probably figure they’re gonna get blown out, but wouldn’t you want to give your kids the experience of playoff football? I certainly hope this isn’t the beginning of the high school equivalent of players opting out of college bowl games when they don’t get included in the playoff. 

I heard that they had a lot of kids out for grades. Maybe that’s it? But the predistrict game probably helped make the decision. It’s still sad.

5 minutes ago, 2Punks said:

I heard that they had a lot of kids out for grades. Maybe that’s it? But the predistrict game probably helped make the decision. It’s still sad.

Well their website says "Leaders on the Field."  Guess they'll have to remove that part.  They already left out leaders in the classroom, so won't have to remove that if that was the issue.

• Like 2

That would be their second forfeit in the last three weeks ... not much in the leadership name ...

Noticed there was a second forfeit - Wall vs Tornillo.

Tornillo finished 4th in a 4-team district with a 0-9 record.

Pretty sure I know what that was about.

Not to mention the 385 miles between the two towns.

Edited by DOB

28 minutes ago, DOB said:

That would be their second forfeit in the last three weeks ... not much in the leadership name ...

I agree. We played Dimmit the last game of the season. They were 0-9, and decimated by injury. They had 16 kids suited up. They drove 160 miles, and played a game in the rain/snow, knowing they had no shot. 
They still showed up, still played their best. 

That is leadership by a coach, and that is a life lesson from football. I gained a ton of respect for their coach and players that game!

• Like 6

On 11/5/2022 at 11:42 PM, Everide2016 said:

Well their website says "Leaders on the Field."  Guess they'll have to remove that part.  They already left out leaders in the classroom, so won't have to remove that if that was the issue.

They are leaders on the field when they pass