OnTheClock

Hallsville vs. Melissa  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Bi-District

• Hallsville
    • Melissa

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, OnTheClock said:

Just curious & all jokes aside has anyone on this forum watched both teams in person? If so, I would like to hear your opinion on how the match ups in this game will be one sided. This season no team has fielded their second group on the Bobcats so this game should be very interesting shall that be the outcome. Anyways, Bobcats first group hasn't played 4 qtrs. since Oct 21st.. I'm looking forward to a great game!

I've seen Hallsville on film and they are a decent team that could hang around with Melissa if for some reason Melissa didn't come to play as they say. Honestly, Melissa is just bigger, faster, and has more athletes and should win big. As I stated before Melissa will have backups in sometime in the 3rd qt but no later than the 4th

3 hours ago, bigorange said:

I've seen Hallsville on film and they are a decent team that could hang around with Melissa if for some reason Melissa didn't come to play as they say. Honestly, Melissa is just bigger, faster, and has more athletes and should win big. As I stated before Melissa will have backups in sometime in the 3rd qt but no later than the 4th

Here in ETX we have that thing you call film as well. The question was has anyone seen both teams in person? Just to make myself clear I don't think Hallsville should be the favorite in this game. Hallsville has and will be the underdog all season and would love to keep it that way. Heck, they are fine with playing at Pemberton High practice field if need be. Also, every team Hallsville has played has been bigger, faster with more athletes and your probably right the seven teams they beat this season probably should have won..LOL..I also would encourage Melissa to put their second group in when they see fit on doing so it'll be interesting to see how that works out. On that note, it's my belief that here in Bobcat land we simply see Melissa as another metroplex High School team with 2 loses. Just saying!

1 hour ago, OnTheClock said:

Here in ETX we have that thing you call film as well. The question was has anyone seen both teams in person? Just to make myself clear I don't think Hallsville should be the favorite in this game. Hallsville has and will be the underdog all season and would love to keep it that way. Heck, they are fine with playing at Pemberton High practice field if need be. Also, every team Hallsville has played has been bigger, faster with more athletes and your probably right the seven teams they beat this season probably should have won..LOL..I also would encourage Melissa to put their second group in when they see fit on doing so it'll be interesting to see how that works out. On that note, it's my belief that here in Bobcat land we simply see Melissa as another metroplex High School team with 2 loses. Just saying!

I like your assessment and I’m happy for Hallsville, it seems like they have made some good strides this year. Hallsville kinda reminds me of a bit better Denison team and they played well against Melissa. The game was never really in doubt but they hung around. 

as was mentioned in the THigh thread...Melissa QB had 380 yds passing & 7 TDs IN THE 1st HALF against Terrell. Doubt Hallsville with a weak defense can withstand. 

Melissa is one of those communities that is definitely growing out of the DFW exponentially in both size,  but also wealth. 

I imagine Melissa will use the old "Jeff Traylor plan"...score 50 by half-time, then play the subs...

Edited by PelvisPresley

15 hours ago, bigorange said:

I like your assessment and I’m happy for Hallsville, it seems like they have made some good strides this year. Hallsville kinda reminds me of a bit better Denison team and they played well against Melissa. The game was never really in doubt but they hung around. 

Melissa historically beat bad teams bad and lost to good teams.  The coaching staff has matured over the years and they don’t do the stupid stuff that lost them games in the past. There is still a little bit of playing down to the competition with this group but not like in years past.  If HV is like Denison and has a mobile passing QB they could have some success but probably not enough to win.  Im wondering if Melissa will stick with the 4-2-5 base defense they used last week going forward.  It was genius against LJ and they stopped the run just fine with the front 6 and tremendously limited LJ’s vertical passing.  There just wasn’t anywhere to attack them in that alignment.  

To beat Melissa you are going to have to do to them what they did to Lovejoy and that is slow down the passing attack because they won’t beat you just by the run but your gonna need some dudes.  If you don’t pay special attention to #9 like LJ failed to do you will get beat. 

1 hour ago, CrankyOldMan said:

Melissa historically beat bad teams bad and lost to good teams.  The coaching staff has matured over the years and they don’t do the stupid stuff that lost them games in the past. There is still a little bit of playing down to the competition with this group but not like in years past.  If HV is like Denison and has a mobile passing QB they could have some success but probably not enough to win.  Im wondering if Melissa will stick with the 4-2-5 base defense they used last week going forward.  It was genius against LJ and they stopped the run just fine with the front 6 and tremendously limited LJ’s vertical passing.  There just wasn’t anywhere to attack them in that alignment.  

To beat Melissa you are going to have to do to them what they did to Lovejoy and that is slow down the passing attack because they won’t beat you just by the run but your gonna need some dudes.  If you don’t pay special attention to #9 like LJ failed to do you will get beat. 

I would imagine Melissa will stick with that defense as its base from here on out as it seems to be the right fit for the players they have. I was very shocked at how well Melissa defended a potent Lovejoy offense with dudes all over the field. Hopefully, Melissa is peaking at the right time because they seem to have hit a different gear last week.

If Melissa puts up 50 by 1st half that would be 42 more points than the Bobcats allowed in last weeks game. (impressive)!  If and I mean if Melissa puts up 50 by first half please don't blink because this one may be one of the highest scoring games ever played at Melissa stadium. 

1 hour ago, OnTheClock said:

If Melissa puts up 50 by 1st half that would be 42 more points than the Bobcats allowed in last weeks game. (impressive)!  If and I mean if Melissa puts up 50 by first half please don't blink because this one may be one of the highest scoring games ever played at Melissa stadium. 

I don't know that they'll put up 50 by halftime but I wouldn't be surprised if they did either. There have been 5 games where Melissa had backups in by the start of the 4th qt and 3 games where they were in by the 3rd qt. My guess is it will be a 35 to 14 game at the half and Melissa winning 50 to 21 or 28 type game with Melissa calling off the dogs in the 4th qt at some point. 

7 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

If I had to guess the Hallsville QB will probably get mvp of the district (or Marshall RB).... it’ll be hard to do but it could happen if the defense could somehow make some plays 

Mosley’s numbers are INSANE.  I can’t imagine anyone taking MVP from him. 

40 touchdowns I’d I recall correctly.  Something like 2300 yards passing and 1300 rushing.

Bobcats gonna miss him next season. 

10 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Mosley’s numbers are INSANE.  I can’t imagine anyone taking MVP from him. 

40 touchdowns I’d I recall correctly.  Something like 2300 yards passing and 1300 rushing.

Bobcats gonna miss him next season. 

He’ll be hard to replace so will the TE ... he can play

Edited by RogerDorn

20 minutes ago, OnTheClock said:

Yes, both of these guys are great students & even better young men. I look forward to watching them both at the next level. Coach Strickland will have his work cut out for him replacing these two.

Mosley is one of the most electric players I’ve seen through the years.  They are rare and special when they come through a school. 

I wish him the best! 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 9:16 AM, OnTheClock said:

Due to the tiny size of Melissa High Stadium if i'm doing the math right I'm thinking in the neighborhood of at least $30k + in lost ticket sales minimum. Yes, I understand that Melissa is building a larger stadium currently but should this really be the site for a 5A playoff game? This to me should be a major financial decision that schools should address. Maybe another venue would be more appropriate for this game to help pay for that 35 million dollar monstrosity under construction and other school needs etc.. Just a thought!

Definitely should be a rule on this. Need a minimum capacity or move to a bigger neutral site.

40 minutes ago, bluetopper said:

Melissa is building the new stadium right beside a huge landfill that stinks to high heaven.

Not to mention the stank from the feedlot nearby and a mulch plant.  It is not an aesthetically pleasing site thats for sure.  All the low level, starter home housing going around the school is an eyesore too.  

9 hours ago, Mikielee00 said:

Definitely should be a rule on this. Need a minimum capacity or move to a bigger neutral site.

I think that rule exists is some form....... (thanks to Highland Park 2005).

But the home-field advantage rule for the #1 and #2 seeds trumps it.

Homefield advantage is meant to be just that!

On 11/9/2022 at 8:04 AM, bluetopper said:

Melissa is building the new stadium right beside a huge landfill that stinks to high heaven.

Then Paris High should schedule them in non-district. Between that Pig Farm Crap and Paper Mill mixture stank ever present at Wildcat Stadium they'd feel right at home 😆

Some information on the Melissa Cardinals. Some of it may be useless info but it is info nonetheless.

The Cards have...

Have had 16 different players score TDs this year

Have scored 310 of their 451 points in the 1st half of games this year

Have only scored 57 of their 451 points in the 4th quarter of games this year

QB- Trevor Ham has 2,500+ yards passing & 35 TDs this year and has only played in the 4th quarter in 5 out of 10 games

non-district opponents have a combined 25-5 record and all qualified for the playoffs

Scored at least 13 points in 45 straight games dating back to 2019 season