Bi-District: Terrell (5-5) v Texas High (8-2)

bordertown

Terrell Vs. Texas High  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Texas High in a blowout
    • Terrell in a blowout
    • Texas High in a close one
    • Terrell in a close one

By records and seeding, Texas High should be favored. Don’t have a clue about Terrell. But insight of their record, they have shown they can score. At the same time, they have shown their defense can be porous. To date, the Tigers have not demonstrated a shutdown defense. As a result, I anticipate a number of points scored on Friday.

If Texas HIgh has decent passing attack and has the ability to limit the running game they should win. Melissa QB had 380 yds passing & 7 TDs IN THE 1st HALF. 
Terrell has a burner at RB and some good size on the lines. Seems like TH has struggled the past few weeks and if they keep playing like that this game will be close.

• Like 1

The Tiger's bye week was a month ago and since then our offense has struggled.  It started with the Marshall game and I felt like the Tigers would blow out everyone on the schedule except Nac.  Nac has had some of the best defensive backs in the district since they joined the district and nothing has come easy for us when we play them.  Injuries have taken a great toll on our team, especially on offense.  We lost our qb halfway through our third game.  Our soph backup qb came in and did such a great job that I did not notice that the starter was even hurt.  He probably got knocked out when I was at the concession stand.  The main difference between the two young men is that the starter was very mobile has he was a wide receiver up until his senior year.  The soph just doesn't have the wheels to run that offense.  Opposing defenses are applying more pressure with blitzes resulting with him having less time to go through his progressions.  The net results have been more sacks, turnovers, and busted plays.  Opposing defenses have also started putting a safety "over the top" against certain wide receivers thus canceling them our.  The offensive line has played well but those five just cannot block everyone coming at them.  The extra defensive bodies, closer to the line of scrimmage has also hurt the running game some also even though we have a sophomore starting and a freshman backing him up.  We have a freshman qb that can both run and pass but I doubt that if our soph qb got put out of the game the frosh would not get any game.  The current backup, IMHO, won't be able to carry the load.  

On the defensive side of the ball, we have a starting lb, a soph, injured.  He leads the team in tackles.  Marshall was the first team that I can recall that was able to have a back run for over 100 yards this season.  The corners and safeties have had coverage problems from game one.  The corners want to talk trash and rough people up and they are small corners.  Instead of concentrating on their coverage, many times, they get caught with their eyes in the backfield but that has been a problem the last three years.  The safeties are just not reading it right and passing plays crossing behind the lbs and in front of the safeties are killing us.

The Tigers are going to have a tough time no matter who they play.  We can probably survive on the offensive side of the ball but the defense is going to have to pick it up.  We are the type of team where one player is the difference maker and that player was our starting qb that is injured.  Good luck to all of the district's playoff teams.  And to WH, I sat on your side when you came to Texarkana.  I did not hear any crap out of your fans except you criticizing the refs.  You got two bad calls that contributed to your winning the game.  One was a td pass that was not caught and clearly rolled on the ground and the other was a ball that the same ref ruled was caught in bounds when it was clearly out of bounds and even if the ball was caught in bounds it was short of the first down marker.  If you don't believe me, go to Texarkana Gameday on Facebook and view the plays.  Both of those results were not the fault of the Wildcat players.  They just play the game.  The officiating should be better, overall, in the playoffs.

Good luck Tigers!  I'm pulling for you guys.

As bitter as the losses to THS and Hallsville were.... in the end....we captured 2 of the 3 the goals we had for the regular season:

1.  Make the playoffs
2.  Host a playoff game
3.  Win district

We had our chances for #3 and we didn't seize them in two close games. Those two losses are to teams that are a combined 15-5.  

Best of luck Vs. Terrell.....I think you guys are going to ROLL!

• Like 1

I'm hoping that more than two of us keep rolling into next week like we did 2 years ago.  All season long all I have heard is that how weak our district is.  We all play who is in our geographical area and we cannot help that.  Hopefully, we will prove to all of them how wrong they are and how wrong we all were too.

Tigers win...lol.  Terrell's district was "harder" but it seamed the TH district was more competitive overall. Could be interesting.  Texas high losing to Whitehouse then barely scrapping by Pine tree has this very interesting game. Honestly could go either way.  Depending on which squad shows up for each team. Terrell lost to the big two Lovejoy and Melissa but then was only 7 away from beating a real good Crandall team who fought Lovejoy super hard. Like I said won't be surprised if either team wins. All bout match ups. 

• Like 1

Terrell just 5-5, but have losses to state ranked teams like Kaufman (4A) Lovejoy, and Melissa.  I think this game could be closer than expected.  District 8 could be on the sidelines after this week if the ball bounces the wrong way.  Marshall has a tough one too.  

23 hours ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

The Tiger's bye week was a month ago and since then our offense has struggled.  It started with the Marshall game and I felt like the Tigers would blow out everyone on the schedule except Nac.  Nac has had some of the best defensive backs in the district since they joined the district and nothing has come easy for us when we play them.  Injuries have taken a great toll on our team, especially on offense.  We lost our qb halfway through our third game.  Our soph backup qb came in and did such a great job that I did not notice that the starter was even hurt.  He probably got knocked out when I was at the concession stand.  The main difference between the two young men is that the starter was very mobile has he was a wide receiver up until his senior year.  The soph just doesn't have the wheels to run that offense.  Opposing defenses are applying more pressure with blitzes resulting with him having less time to go through his progressions.  The net results have been more sacks, turnovers, and busted plays.  Opposing defenses have also started putting a safety "over the top" against certain wide receivers thus canceling them our.  The offensive line has played well but those five just cannot block everyone coming at them.  The extra defensive bodies, closer to the line of scrimmage has also hurt the running game some also even though we have a sophomore starting and a freshman backing him up.  We have a freshman qb that can both run and pass but I doubt that if our soph qb got put out of the game the frosh would not get any game.  The current backup, IMHO, won't be able to carry the load.  

On the defensive side of the ball, we have a starting lb, a soph, injured.  He leads the team in tackles.  Marshall was the first team that I can recall that was able to have a back run for over 100 yards this season.  The corners and safeties have had coverage problems from game one.  The corners want to talk trash and rough people up and they are small corners.  Instead of concentrating on their coverage, many times, they get caught with their eyes in the backfield but that has been a problem the last three years.  The safeties are just not reading it right and passing plays crossing behind the lbs and in front of the safeties are killing us.

The Tigers are going to have a tough time no matter who they play.  We can probably survive on the offensive side of the ball but the defense is going to have to pick it up.  We are the type of team where one player is the difference maker and that player was our starting qb that is injured.  Good luck to all of the district's playoff teams.  And to WH, I sat on your side when you came to Texarkana.  I did not hear any crap out of your fans except you criticizing the refs.  You got two bad calls that contributed to your winning the game.  One was a td pass that was not caught and clearly rolled on the ground and the other was a ball that the same ref ruled was caught in bounds when it was clearly out of bounds and even if the ball was caught in bounds it was short of the first down marker.  If you don't believe me, go to Texarkana Gameday on Facebook and view the plays.  Both of those results were not the fault of the Wildcat players.  They just play the game.  The officiating should be better, overall, in the playoffs.

My man. What a response! How long did it take to bang that response out? I turned in research papers that were shorter! I hope that wasn’t done on a phone.

Why the struggles for Texas High at the end of the season?  Did they overachieve at the beginning of the season, have they regressed quite a bit, or are they just so beat up with injuries that their play has suffered?  I would love for anybody who knows a lot about the Tigers to weigh in.

9 hours ago, RogerDorn said:

seems to me losing the qb and rb hurt on and off the field...both seniors, qb played wr the past 2 years on pretty good teams.

The delay in losing those players is what's weird to me.

THS lost those players EARLY in the season... and they continued to steamroll everyone.

They beat a pretty dang good Hallsville team handily.

Then.....all of a sudden...struggle bus.

TBH...IMHO.....I didn't think the Tigers struggled Vs Marshall..... it was just 2 fairly evenly matched teams going after it.  Scoring 42 points isn't struggling.  And the 35 Marshall scored was close to their season average.

However..... no doubt THS struggled Vs Nac.  A game they very easily could have lost.  And they definitely struggled against PT.  Even though it never really felt like  PT was about to take the game over.

No doubt....Terrell is better than PT and Nac.  But I think the Tigers take care of business and get the win this week.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

The delay in losing those players is what's weird to me.

THS lost those players EARLY in the season... and they continued to steamroll everyone.

They beat a pretty dang good Hallsville team handily.

Then.....all of a sudden...struggle bus.

TBH...IMHO.....I didn't think the Tigers struggled Vs Marshall..... it was just 2 fairly evenly matched teams going after it.  Scoring 42 points isn't struggling.  And the 35 Marshall scored was close to their season average.

However..... no doubt THS struggled Vs Nac.  A game they very easily could have lost.  And they definitely struggled against PT.  Even though it never really felt like  PT was about to take the game over.

No doubt....Terrell is better than PT and Nac.  But I think the Tigers take care of business and get the win this week.  

I think they can win but they have to play 4 quarters....I’m not sure as to why it took a couple weeks but it seems like most teams have lined up to stop the run and get after to QB on passing downs....the oline has stayed solid. Ran for 300 vs Whitehouse and over 200 yards last week.... I think the the defense will have to step up to win this week

Can't really feign surprise here. I thought T High could probably pull out a slight win at Grim but it is undeniable the downward trajectory they have been on for the past 4-5 weeks.  False start penalties, the inability to get the ball in the hands of talented receivers, and at times the total breakdown of the defensive backfield was a recipe for disaster.  I'm not sure I've ever seen such a regression from week to week.  

Truly a disappointing end to a once promising season.  Congrats to Terrell. They played a better more disciplined game and deserved the win.  

• Like 1

Was very happy with the Soph QB play. He was forced into service early and he will be a force the next 2 years.  But will also say with confidence that if we don't lose the starting QB in the 2nd game of season this team is sitting at 10-1 and still playing.  Not saying we would go any farther because of the defensive woes, but our receiving unit was too good to be a non factor in the majority of the games.

• Confused 1