⚾ WORLD Champion Astros Off-season Thread ⚾

RETIREDFAN1

Centerfield and 1st base are the needs.    I'm not sure about Verlander. Want him back but SP is a strength.  A good case can be made for extending Tucker, Pena, and some of the young pitchers who will take less money now and not have to wait years for good money.  It is a tough call. 

Would love Brantley back but not sure where he would fit in as he has never wanted to be an everyday PH.    Interesting decisions ahead.   And I won't pretend to know what is best.  But I know whichever way we go we still have a nice window for the next few years. 

Definitely expected he would opt out.  I think the Astros will make him a good offer but it won't be the biggest.  He is a gamble and I'm ok with him coming back but certainly not breaking the bank for him.  If he is all about the biggest offer he will be gone.  If he is all about having the best chance to win another ring he stays.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MAJOR upgrade in consistency and batting average.  Probably comparable in defensive scooping ability.  This is a great move by the Astros.  Will definitely take the everyday job of Yuli.   I still see a slight path to keeping Yuli at a much reduced price as a utility guy. He can play 1st and 3rd so if Bregman needs to slide to SS to cover Pena 3rd is covered.   I doubt he is versatile enough though.    I loved Diaz as a utility guy but way too many injuries to be reliable.     I'd much rather extend guys than keep adding at this point. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, THSfanatic said:

MAJOR upgrade in consistency and batting average.  Probably comparable in defensive scooping ability.  This is a great move by the Astros.  Will definitely take the everyday job of Yuli.   I still see a slight path to keeping Yuli at a much reduced price as a utility guy. He can play 1st and 3rd so if Bregman needs to slide to SS to cover Pena 3rd is covered.   I doubt he is versatile enough though.    I loved Diaz as a utility guy but way too many injuries to be reliable.     I'd much rather extend guys than keep adding at this point. 

Agree completely!! Very exciting pick-up!!! Would like to see them pick up another cf to take Myers place...not a fan of he and Maldonado are big holes at the bottom of what will be a very good hitting line-up!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blesseddaily said:

Wow!! What a great addition this would be!!!! 

RUMOR: Astros’ Willson Contreras pursuit heats up, with a twist (msn.com)

This would be an addition almost too good to be true.   I don't see him yielding playoff time to Maldanado and splitting position time.  I'd sure love the pick up, but it wouldn't make sense unless you plan to use him as your primary catcher......which would not be the case.  IMO

3 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

This would be an addition almost too good to be true.   I don't see him yielding playoff time to Maldanado and splitting position time.  I'd sure love the pick up, but it wouldn't make sense unless you plan to use him as your primary catcher......which would not be the case.  IMO

Actually if they sign him, Maldonado will be expendable.......

That was kinda my point. I dont believe Dusty will allow Maldonado to be expendable.  I believe they see him as too valuable for to the pitchers. Maldy and McCullers have been so outspoken about ride or die with the Astros I don't believe that would go over with the fans.

I tend to agree with you.   This would definitely be a big offensive step forward.  I just don't feel like the organization will demote Maldanado. I'm also holding out faint hope that Brantley could be back as a DH as a 1 year deal to test his health.   Such a great guy you hate to see him go. I'm not a fan of leaning on McCormick or Meyers are permanent CFs either so I'd like to see something creative there.

Edited by THSfanatic
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

That was kinda my point. I dont believe Dusty will allow Maldonado to be expendable.  I believe they see him as too valuable for to the pitchers. Maldy and McCullers have been so outspoken about ride or die with the Astros I don't believe that would go over with the fans.

I tend to agree with you.   This would definitely be a big offensive step forward.  I just don't feel like the organization will demote Maldanado

I do ......

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 10:06 PM, THSfanatic said:

I tend to agree with you.   This would definitely be a big offensive step forward.  I just don't feel like the organization will demote Maldanado. I'm also holding out faint hope that Brantley could be back as a DH as a 1 year deal to test his health.   Such a great guy you hate to see him go. I'm not a fan of leaning on McCormick or Meyers are permanent CFs either so I'd like to see something creative there.

I think we the up coming rule changes allowing only two throws to first base to hold the runners there might be more stealing going on, the Maldonado's throwing abilities he might become even more valuable 

• 2 weeks later...