Longhorn Basketball : 22-23

bordertown

7 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I am still amazed at how many quick 3s Texas was putting up too. Being up 11 or so late I would have expected them to work it more inside for a better shot selection. I guess that is how the game is played these days.

Kalkbrenner camped out in the paint on defense. Just his presence alone redirected a lot of drives to the basket.

2 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

They haven’t played a ranked team yet. Texas has beaten 2 top 10 teams. 

What I meant was Houston doesn't have a loss coming until possibly Alabama. I don't think they will lose the top spot without losing.

Tough loss. They had the game in hand and Rice fouls near the half court line. Fear came to roost last night with cold shooting streaks. It is amazing to me to see how the transfer portal has impacted college basketball. Illinois had transfers from Baylor & Tech starting. 

Texas was too soft on some of the easy baskets right under the goal.  They failed to go up with authority.  They took the pass underneath and did a couple of head fakes allowing the defense to collapse around them before they finally tried to take it up.

The missed 1 and 1 near the end of regulation for Texas was the nail in the coffin that prevented Texas from finishing them off.

3 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Texas was too soft on some of the easy baskets right under the goal.  They failed to go up with authority.  They took the pass underneath and did a couple of head fakes allowing the defense to collapse around them before they finally tried to take it up.

The missed 1 and 1 near the end of regulation for Texas was the nail in the coffin that prevented Texas from finishing them off.

Mitchell and Disu were not up to snuff last night!!! Too many little things happened that we could have pulled the lead to 20!!!

First loss to a good Illinois team. Nights like Tuesday will happen occasionally. I still think Texas can win those types of games, but they have to get better play out of Carr. The whole team took some poor shots in the final minutes and OT, but Carr single handedly put them behind with his poor shooting/looks. 

But overall, not worried about it. Just gotta get back on the horse.

Innocent until proven guilty. Something today's woke idiots can't appreciate.

If he's guilty throw the book at him, but the university can't afford to jump to conclusions. If they terminate him and it is proven he is innocent then he should sue them to Kingdom come for wrongful termination.

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

Innocent until proven guilty. Something today's woke idiots can't appreciate.

If he's guilty throw the book at him, but the university can't afford to jump to conclusions. If they terminate him and it is proven he is innocent then he should sue them to Kingdom come for wrongful termination.

I believe the university holds his pay until the trial/grand jury etc… if he is innocent, they pay him in full.  Guilty, bye.

36 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I believe the university holds his pay until the trial/grand jury etc… if he is innocent, they pay him in full.  Guilty, bye.

Yes, but there are people calling for his head now. It would not shock me if UT would cave to the woke movement before the legal process is concluded.

15 hours ago, Baron said:

Yes, but there are people calling for his head now. It would not shock me if UT would cave to the woke movement before the legal process is concluded.

If they continue to win under the assistant, I could see them pulling the plug too early... which will likely cost them a lot of $$$$

15 hours ago, Baron said:

The eyes of Texas is still played.  Give UT the opportunity to do the right thing.

Edited by DB2point0

I suspect The University is on hold until the Travis County DA decides whether to proceed with charges. From KVUE … “A clause in that contract allows UT to fire or suspend Beard with cause if, "any conduct (a) that the university administration reasonably determines is clearly unbecoming to a head coach and reflects poorly on the university, the program, or the university of texas system; or (b) resulting in a criminal charge being brought against head coach involving a felony, or any crime involving theft, dishonesty, or moral turpitude."

If felony charges are filed by the DA, Beard is gone. I suspect clause (a) would be negotiated with a buyout. Personally, I think Beard’s only hope is his fiancée drops charges and he negotiates a buyout. I believe Beard’s days of coaching Texas are over and I hate it.

Edited by bordertown

I really pray that this is not the direction it all goes...though if you read the three page police report it's worrisome (though she appeared to be the initial aggressor). 

I honestly believe with the talent a place like Texas can attract with a builder like Beard (the best in the business in my humble opinion) - he could be a consistent national championship winner.

On 12/14/2022 at 11:08 AM, bordertown said:

I suspect The University is on hold until the Travis County DA decides whether to proceed with charges. From KVUE … “A clause in that contract allows UT to fire or suspend Beard with cause if, "any conduct (a) that the university administration reasonably determines is clearly unbecoming to a head coach and reflects poorly on the university, the program, or the university of texas system; or (b) resulting in a criminal charge being brought against head coach involving a felony, or any crime involving theft, dishonesty, or moral turpitude."

If felony charges are filed by the DA, Beard is gone. I suspect clause (a) would be negotiated with a buyout. Personally, I think Beard’s only hope is his fiancée drops charges and he negotiates a buyout. I believe Beard’s days of coaching Texas are over and I hate it.

My understanding from what I have read, is that she doesn't want to file charges. Can the state pursue a case with out charges being filed as in a statutory case?